[LE] XWM audio format?

apSion

This is a great tutorial, and I followed it just fine until I got my wav file converted and renamed to match the game xwm, now how do I get it into the game? I have 2 different bsa unpackers, and neither allow for replacing file or repacking the bsa. Please help with this last step.

Update: I figured it out. For anyone that is curious, all you have to do is mimic the folder structure in the .bsa file and place those folders in the data folder like your mods. For example, to replace the main theme, I converted my mp3 to a .wav, then my .wav to an .xwm, then I renamed that .xwm to mus_maintheme.xwm, then I place my new theme song in the follwing folder configuration in the main skyrim installation directory: data/music/special/mus_maintheme.xwm. I dont know if it matters or not, but I checked load loose files when starting the game up, and voila, my conan mountain of power theme replacement started playing :)

Something else of use that I just found: If your playing on a laptop, and the sound seems quiet, go to control panel/hardware and sound/sound, select your laptops speaker from the list and select it, right click and select properties, and then click on the enhancements tab, then put a checkmark by loudness equalization. This worked wonders for me, and now my conan theme music(and the whole game for that matter) sounds like it should! I imagine this tip just fixed several different games that were quiet and hard to hear without headphones for me.

Edited by hirokitanaka

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Update: I figured it out. For anyone that is curious, all you have to do is mimic the folder structure in the .bsa file and place those folders in the data folder like your mods. For example, to replace the main theme, I converted my mp3 to a .wav, then my .wav to an .xwm, then I renamed that .xwm to mus_maintheme.xwm, then I place my new theme song in the follwing folder configuration in the main skyrim installation directory: data/music/special/mus_maintheme.xwm. I dont know if it matters or not, but I checked load loose files when starting the game up, and voila, my conan mountain of power theme replacement started playing :)

This doesn't work for me. :( It ignores my files completely. Wonder what I'm doing wrong.

edit: derp. NOW it works.

Edited by sclera

Hmm, I have some strange problems with this, or I am making some kind of stupid mistake. When I run fuz2xwm.py nothing happens, just a windows pop up for a second and then closes. My guess is that I am missing something obvious >>. Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong, and explain how I should do it properly. I am just new to this kind of stuff.

Edited by MJpoland

Seriously, anyone? I am not trolling here. I have installed python and put all required files in a folder ( I mean, fuz2xwm.py; argparse.py; xWMAEncode.exe and convert_xwm_to_wav.bat + folder skyrim.esm). When I double click the first file, nothing happens, only as I said before window pops up for a second and thats all. I really want to now how to efficiently convert files from fuz to xwm, doing everyone in hex editor is little too much work. So please tell me what I'm doing wrong here.

Maybe because most can't?

Have you tried contacting the person that wrote the script for help? :rolleyes:

Of course I had :P. But even besides that guys were discussing about those scripts just few days before I posted, where they all went suddenly? :confused:

Uh, there's really no need to download the DirectX SDK, Mediacoder can convert xwm files just fine.

Mediacoder worked for most files, but the main one fails: music\special\mus_maintheme.xwm

Mediacoder reports error code 7 ("An invalid combination of settings is made"), even though other xwm files in that folder converted just fine. I've played around with settings and produced different error messages, but I can't figure out what's different about this one source file from all of the others. Can anyone tell me how to get Mediacoder to work on the main theme?

• 2 weeks later...