[LE] XWM audio format?

apSion

• 7 months later...
  • Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am very interested in converting skyrim xwm files into something, anything that is manageable.

In order to do that, I attempted two separate things:

1. Tried to convert the xwm files to mp4s using VLC player. They have not been unpacked by anything beforehand, they are simply xwm files. I modified the bitrate, saved in .mp4, etcetra just as one of the other posts on page 1 recommended, and the files seemed to convert. However, when attempting to play, nothing happens but an error message "can't recognize the input" or something. Anyway. It didn't work no matter how much I fiddled with it. Am I missing something obvious?

2. I downloaded the BSA unpacker descriped in page 2 of this forum. Only, when I go to my skyrim data file, there are no .bsa files there. Is that because the unpacker only recognizes oblivion .bsa files? Because this is not oblivion... anyway, it's a little frustrating because the directions on page 2 look very easy to follow if you actually get some cooperation from the computer.

I feel like I'm missing something. Basically, all I want to do, is listen to the skyrim music independently of the game. Help appreciated.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...

If you want good bitrate out of VLC use these settings for conversion:

• Encapsulation: MP4(MOV)
  • Check (Audio Codec)
  • Codec: MPEG4 (AAC)
  • Bitrate: 190kb/s
  • Sample Rate: 48000

Worked for me. Just remember, when typing what you want the file to be named, append the .mp4 to the end or it might go to something else.

Oh ya, and another thing. Sometimes VLC will want to "convert" the song past its actually time (so you'll get two minutes of nothing). Just close it once it's at the normal time for the song. I know this method is far from perfect, but it does work.

Yeah...I've tried this exactly and can get nothing to play it.

• 1 year later...

This is a very late reply, but it may be useful. I just tried dropping and dragging an .xwm music file to the latest version of Foobar, and was amazed that it could play the music without any problems. It used to not be able to handle this format. I have a lot of plugins installed, but think Foobar itself may have been updated to support this aweful , obscure format. Foobar uses Ffmpeg , and Ffmpeg has inbuilt support for wma.

Foobar can be downloaded here: http://www.foobar2000.org/

If it fails to play back xwm, then probably the vgmsteam decoder plugin is handling the format. it is available here: http://www.foobar2000.org/components/view/foo_input_vgmstream

• 9 months later...

Another late reply to say thank you for the above late reply! Foobar works perfectly with the vgmstream plugin added, no skipping or anything.

Late replies can still help others, so I say don't be afraid to necro an old post if you have something useful to add. This one helped me!

• 4 months later...

This is a very late reply, but it may be useful. I just tried dropping and dragging an .xwm music file to the latest version of Foobar, and was amazed that it could play the music without any problems. It used to not be able to handle this format. I have a lot of plugins installed, but think Foobar itself may have been updated to support this aweful , obscure format. Foobar uses Ffmpeg , and Ffmpeg has inbuilt support for wma.

Foobar can be downloaded here: http://www.foobar2000.org/

If it fails to play back xwm, then probably the vgmsteam decoder plugin is handling the format. it is available here: http://www.foobar200...input_vgmstream

Thank you !! This worked perfectly !

Edited by UWShocks

• 1 year later...

Necro, Part II:

The above fix still works (FOOBAR) perfectly. I had to install the addon, but I can FINALLY preview the XWM files easily without converting, and then saving, and then moving, and then playing - all which just bloats my drive with sloppy WAV files!

• 1 year later...