Skyrim Special Edition Creation Kit

alanovichromanov

Found this info on a Gamespot article:

"On Twitter, Hines explained that the remaster on PC will still work with older mods for the original game. When asked, he replied, "Basically, yes," suggesting that while certain mods might not be compatible, in general it won't be a problem.

In addition, Hines also clarified what this remaster will entail exactly on PC--since, after all, it can already be overhauled with mods. He relayed from game director Todd Howard that the PC version will be 64-bit, saves will transfer from the original game, and it'll have a separate mod creation kit. As a result of it being 64-bit, mods that use Skyrim's 32-bit Script Extender will have to be tweaked to run on a new 64-bit version of the extender."

Now, I understand that any opinions at this point will be largely based on speculation, but I have a few questions which people with better knowledge about how software works may be able to answer.

1. The remaster seems to change basically graphics stuff. Do you expect the new Creation Kit to differ from the one we have now only in graphics related functions?

2. Will the new CK recognize and work with plugins created in the old CK? I'd assume so, but will the .esp files have to be updated with the new CK to run with the remastered game? If so, could this process merely be a matter of loading the plugin in the new CK and saving?

3. Are there plans for the Nexus site to separate old Skyrim and Remastered Skyrim mods?

4. What is the likelihood that textures that are not related to landscapes and weather will look good? I'm talking about retextured weapons, armors, and clothes etc. If it looks good in old Skyrim, will it look good in remastered Skyrim?

1. The remaster seems to change basically graphics stuff. Do you expect the new Creation Kit to differ from the one we have now only in graphics related functions?

2. Will the new CK recognize and work with plugins created in the old CK? I'd assume so, but will the .esp files have to be updated with the new CK to run with the remastered game? If so, could this process merely be a matter of loading the plugin in the new CK and saving?

3. Are there plans for the Nexus site to separate old Skyrim and Remastered Skyrim mods?

4. What is the likelihood that textures that are not related to landscapes and weather will look good? I'm talking about retextured weapons, armors, and clothes etc. If it looks good in old Skyrim, will it look good in remastered Skyrim?

1. I believe that nothing's been said regarding any additional features to the Special Edition CK outside of the Publish feature for Bethesda.Net. The CK's rendering is likely to match the revamped one found in-game, though I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't.

2. I think it's likely that the plug-ins work immediately as long as they're not using SKSE. Either way, it won't require much effort.

3. I can't speak for Nexus, but I think nothing is going to change as both are likely to be identical in file format.

4. I think it's safe to say that they'll look even better :smile:

Edited by Arcky

All we know is that it's going to be 64 bit with DX11 graphics, non SKSE mods 'should' work fine, we'll need a new 64 bit version of SKSE & ENB and there's going to be a new Creation Kit.

Other than that we'll probably have to wait until it comes out at the end of October.

It will be 64-bit and use DX11 for all of the graphics improvements that can provide. Supposedly existing saved games can be used and most mods should "just work" which means there won't be many technical changes other than the graphics rendering and memory management (and inclusion of the high resolution textures already available for the PC version).

The big problem will be SKSE and ENB. Both will need to be updated just like every other game update. And since this will be a major change, updating will likely take longer than usual. Fortunately the remaster is going to be distributed as a separate game so there will be no pressing need for PC users to upgrade until SKSE and ENB are ready.

The remaster is really targeted at the consoles but the PC version has to be updated along with the Creation Kit so that mods can be ported for the consoles. Bethesda are basically acknowledging that PC players won't be getting that much out of the update because PC users who already own all three of the DLC (or legendary edition) will get the remastered version for free.

1. I believe that nothing's been said regarding any additional features to the Special Edition CK outside of the Publish feature for Bethesda.Net. The CK's rendering is likely to match the revamped one found in-game, though I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't.

2. I think it's likely that the plug-ins work immediately as long as they're not using SKSE. Either way, it won't require much effort.

3. I can't speak for Nexus, but I think nothing is going to change as both are likely to be identical in file format.

4. I think it's safe to say that they'll look even better :smile:

If things go this way, it would be great. A good game upgrade for a minimum of hassle.

• 4 months later...

It will be 64-bit and use DX11 for all of the graphics improvements that can provide. Supposedly existing saved games can be used and most mods should "just work" which means there won't be many technical changes other than the graphics rendering and memory management (and inclusion of the high resolution textures already available for the PC version).

The big problem will be SKSE and ENB. Both will need to be updated just like every other game update. And since this will be a major change, updating will likely take longer than usual. Fortunately the remaster is going to be distributed as a separate game so there will be no pressing need for PC users to upgrade until SKSE and ENB are ready.

The remaster is really targeted at the consoles but the PC version has to be updated along with the Creation Kit so that mods can be ported for the consoles. Bethesda are basically acknowledging that PC players won't be getting that much out of the update because PC users who already own all three of the DLC (or legendary edition) will get the remastered version for free.

I think a great improvement is possible. The RAM allocation and garbage collector is horrible in the old engine, resulting in an impossible to avoid CTD (but it can be delayed with SKSE and ENBoost). Also the max 10GB RAM you can get with ENBoost and SKSE installed just isn't enough. I had to cut down on textures and had to return my uGrids to 5 because my RAM was gone and the game would give me a CTD in 5 to 10 minutes. I don't have 8GB Vram and 16GB RAM to use 10GB of those combined as max...

Also, trough ENB looks nicer, the implementation of nicer in-engine shaders makes it far less heavy then injecting this stuff into the engine like ENB does. This means that any effect that we now run trough Skyrims engine instead trough ENB will lower performance cost (as it always did, but now it's more likely people will do it as the difference between the ENB render and the Skyrim render will be smaller).

I'm a bit sad in the lack of DX12 support trough, that would have been nice. But then, DX11 is a big improvement from DX9. Hopefully it will make us get rid of blocky shadows more easily, as even ENB can't fix that, just like the striping that can occur when lightning overlaps (with one point trying to render shadows and the other trying to render light). Would be nice if they also fixed the lightning placement in general. Sending light to light sources is ugly. You now have to look away from the light to get the light in your face, and see a shadow if you look at what should be the source. Without mods that is.

Next to that this engine was made as a test for the Fallout4 engine (practice with 64bit most likely). As Fallout4 had VR added later on, it would be nice if that would be possible in Skyrim Remastered as well.

I don't play fallout as much, so I'm not sure if they have a working ENB and/or script extender, but if they do it may be rather easy to port over as again the Skyrim remastered engine is once made as a practice for Fallout4s engine.

EDIT: never trust Bethesda when they say "just works". It wouldn't be the first time it didn't work. Or you couldn't really climb that mountain. Or people don't really have AI, but instead just scripted days that are more then stand in your store all day or walk between these houses. Personally I expect everything based on .esp or .esm files won't work unless proven otherwise. better to avoid disappointment.

Edited by TDOGH

ENB might not be coming at all (the Special Edition probably has the same problems of FO4).... especially for DX12. 1st it's almost impossible to get Skyrim Special Edition from DX11 to DX12 without a complete engine rework. DX12 is completely new for everybody and is more complex then DX11 it offers better control over the hardware and can be tremendously optimized but developers need time to learn the new API.

Regarding Skyrim Special Edition compatibility with old mods:

Plugins need to be reconverted on the new CK.

Meshes from the old format need to be converted to work on the new game.

Animation don't work.

BSA need to be repacked with the new format.

When SKSE is release the plugins from the old SKSE will need to be updated.