Steam problem?

elvinkun

Hey.

I wonder if some more Steam-educated person could give me a hint here.

I have the Skyrim DVD - Insterted, clicked instal and so on, before install, Steam updated, logged into my account, activate your key ... Added key, click ok. "Steam network is too busy to proceed with your request" and Steam logged off and turned off. That repeated three times untill I finally activated it. Nothing installed tho. And "Install" changed to "Play" ... Clicked it, but only thing that happend is that Steam started to download Skyrim at the speed of 8kb/s.

So, reinstalling from the DVD, with the game already registered - Now stuck 30 mins on "Validating Steam files -100% (0 of 1)"

Edit: Restarted the whole thing again, now it's at "Validating Steam files -0% (0 of 1)"

Edit2: Argh, on the third try it validated the files, but nothing got installed whatsoever and only opinion availiable is to click instal again...upon which it starts validating files.

Please, any idea what the hell is all that? Steam forums are obviously down and Beth ones aren't working for me either, so you guys and girls are my only hope here.

Edited by elvinkun

Oh gods, whatever I do I get a lot of "Too busy to complete request" and twhen I finally get to the installing part, instead of actually installing, it starts to download Skyrim at the speed of dial-up.

Here's a solution pulled from the Steam forums.

Using Steam launch options to install retail games from disc

• Right-click on the game, select Delete local content, and confirm.
  • Insert the first disc into your computer.
  • Close Steam (Steam > Exit).
  • Press Windows Key + R to open Run
  • In the Run window type: "C:\Program Files\Steam\Steam.exe" -install E:

Replace E: with the CD/DVD drive you are installing from if is not correct. Replace C:\Program Files\Steam if your Steam installation is not in the default location. Press OK. Steam will launch and ask you to sign in if you do not have your password saved. Your installation should continue from the disc.

Thank you. *bows* And sorry for my poor searching and Steam skills *bows* but I only installed FNV and HL2 with Steam and neither had any trouble with starting the disc by itself *bows* so thanks to you. Edited by elvinkun

Oh. Great. I was happy too soon. It still keeps downloading from 94% at the speed of 3-6kb/s.

Seriously, does Steam always suck like this, or is it just today? One would say that I can go faster than 6kbs with 120mbs fiber.

Sorry for my harsh words, but having Skyrim availiable for 2+ hours and dealing with this just makes me want to explode.

Edited by elvinkun

Oh. Great. I was happy too soon. It still keeps downloading from 94% at the speed of 3-6kb/s.

Seriously, does Steam always suck like this, or is it just today? One would say that I can go faster than 6kbs with 120mbs fiber.

Sorry for my harsh words, but having Skyrim availiable for 2+ hours and dealing with this just makes me want to explode.

Steam frequently does suck like this, yes. It may just be a temporary slowdown due to everybody downloading a huge game at once - I had similar issues the day Civilization V was released.

Oh, finally. Took me just 3 hours and 23 minutes to install Skyrim. Yay. I love Steam already.

Just a thing that made me laugh... I'm getting new computer in two weeks, and I was really afraid that my current won't handle Skyrim... Was holding my breath on the "Is detecting your hardvare..." and then almost fell from the chair when "Your video setting has been set to: High" :wallbash:

Edited by elvinkun

Glad you got there in the end!

I bought the game on DVD (running Windows 7) and am having a big problem with Steam - I go through accepting the licence agreements, but then I'm taken to a progress bar on zero stating "updating Steam." It does nothing for 10 minutes then tells me I need to be connected to the internet - which I am. Steam then closes down. When I try to reopen it, it goes back to the progress bar and the same thing happens again.

I can't use the fixes for installing the game direct from disc because I can't even open Steam to do it all. I've never used the program before because I'm not interested in downloading games, not least because my net connection is erratic. So I'm seriously unhappy that a program I neither want nor need is stopping me from playing a game I already have right there on the disc!

The Steam support section are no help, I've browsed the troubleshooting topics there, and sent them an email but they give no indication of when they'll reply. I've tried uninstalling Steam and starting again and so on. Any other ideas??

Glad you got there in the end!

I bought the game on DVD (running Windows 7) and am having a big problem with Steam - I go through accepting the licence agreements, but then I'm taken to a progress bar on zero stating "updating Steam." It does nothing for 10 minutes then tells me I need to be connected to the internet - which I am. Steam then closes down. When I try to reopen it, it goes back to the progress bar and the same thing happens again.

I can't use the fixes for installing the game direct from disc because I can't even open Steam to do it all. I've never used the program before because I'm not interested in downloading games, not least because my net connection is erratic. So I'm seriously unhappy that a program I neither want nor need is stopping me from playing a game I already have right there on the disc!

The Steam support section are no help, I've browsed the troubleshooting topics there, and sent them an email but they give no indication of when they'll reply. I've tried uninstalling Steam and starting again and so on. Any other ideas??

As the person above me stated, the Steam obviously gets troublesome whe there is a "legend" comming. My steam updated, but also disconnected me and closed three times and then it took over 20 minutes to update (So there is either something wrong, or the update had several gb). I suggest you just try updating it again and again as I did, for me it eventually started updating.

To make it even better, someone hacked Steam databases recently (Or so I understand) so they are at disarray... so support might be pretty bad.

And I DO agree with you, I would rather avoid Steam too, but it's not like we were given that choice. DMR can be a pain, but my experience with Steam as of now is worse.

As the person above me stated, the Steam obviously gets troublesome whe there is a "legend" comming. My steam updated, but also disconnected me and closed three times and then it took over 20 minutes to update (So there is either something wrong, or the update had several gb). I suggest you just try updating it again and again as I did, for me it eventually started updating.

To make it even better, someone hacked Steam databases recently (Or so I understand) so they are at disarray... so support might be pretty bad.

And I DO agree with you, I would rather avoid Steam too, but it's not like we were given that choice. DMR can be a pain, but my experience with Steam as of now is worse.

It does seem like they're having a bad day. I've been at it for 2 hours now! Hope you're enjoying the game ~envious face~ ;)