Skyrim complete PC crashes

Zolexus

Edit: BEFORE YOU POST, PLEASE NOTE THAT THIS ISN'T A CRASH TO DESKTOP (CTD) ISSUE. Please post your problems and solutions revolving around CTDs in other topics.

Hi all

At random moments (can take longer than other times) my Skyrim crashes my computer. I get a black screen, my monitors light turns orange (no more video card feed) and my music hangs. I have to manually shut down the PC and restart.

Does anyone else have this problem?

I'm running windows 7 64 bit with crossfired Radeon HD 6870. Installed latest ATI drivers.

I tried disabling crossfire but I still got a crash. I tried running older catalyst drivers but still a crash.

EDIT: Small list of what's been discussed in the topic (bit adjusted list from what Thelarsen posted in this thread):

The error occurs on:

- 32 and 64bit systems

- ATI and Nvidia systems

- Desktop and mobile systems

- AMD and Intel systems

- Happens on retail or pirated Skyrim

- Not reproducible, happens totally random in different locations and on all software settings from Skyrim, can occur more often outdoors than indoors.

Fixes:

- Things that ppl try and don't help it much: formatting, driver adaption, turning off crossfire, lowering graphics (although for some people this may help) or any change to graphics (like turning off AA), windowed mode, adjusting sound settings to 44100, turning off background apps, underclocking video card (although seems to help for some?), changing catalyst AI to "high quality" and unchecking surface format optimization, using a program to make Skyrim use more than 2GB RAM, putting maximum processor usage on 70%, using the fix at http://forums.bethsoft.com/index.php?/topic/1257882-patch-1-unofficial-bugfix/ may have helped some not all.

- Many people seem to think it's the video card overheating and being overused while not necessary, making the video card crash. However underclocking, lowering settings to minimum and other such fixes doesn't help everyone. Some people get the crash even when their card isn't at dangerous temperature levels anyway.

- pretty much nothing seems to fully fix the problem

- patch..please?

Edited by Zolexus

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks but the sound only stops playing some seconds after the black screen crash occurs. It's not a sound issue, concidering the black screen and sound still playing on a bit before complete crash, I'm thinking it's a video card thing.

Sound issues can bring everything down, there is a problem with the sound in this game.

Did the sound thing in the link you posted, updated audio drivers, disabled all programs running in background, still the PC crash. I've seen one other person also getting this exact thing on another forum. Afraid this'll be one of them very rare issues that I have the bad luck of having and will not get solved anytime soon.

My issue seems to be with the initial load up of the game. I'll get the random loading screen and then the game just hangs and doesn't load. If I ctrl-alt-delete out of it, and go back into the game, then it's a black screen. Sometimes if I do that again, it will either crash, or start working all of the sudden. I changed the sound settings and it hasn't made any difference.

It's got to be some kind of launching error.

[edit] After noting similar issues with Oblivion, I proceeded to completely turn off AA and the filtering options through Skyrim. I instead enabled them through my video card and the game finally loaded without any crashes or hanged screens/black screens. It seems that both Oblivion and Skyrim don't like to complete with videocard AA settings, so you will need to pick one or the other to ensure no conflicts.

That being said, I don't know how the game runs with all those settings turned off on the card and ran through the game instead, but I usually prefer my card settings over game settings, namely with a new release.

Edited by kayinv

Hi all

At random moments (can take longer than other times) my Skyrim crashes my computer. I get a black screen, my monitors light turns orange (no more video card feed) and my music hangs. I have to manually shut down the PC and restart.

Does anyone else have this problem?

I'm running windows 7 64 bit with crossfired Radeon HD 6870. Installed latest ATI drivers.

I tried disabling crossfire but I still got a crash. I tried running older catalyst drivers but still a crash.

I've got the same very problem, totally identical.

Win 7 64 as well, video is 560 Ti though.

I'venoticed that this thing happens when I open big map, and click somewhere.

It crashed not on a map only maybe a time or two, so I just have a feeling that big map is a "risky" zone for this issue, but can happen, as I said, anywatime, but just might take longer.

Now that's really lame considering how long some people have waited for the game.

Hey guys,

Exact same problem here too, AND i'm running Win7 64 bit.

Going to try the sound issue fixes, and hope for the best.

Using a GTS240 from nvidia. Should be sturdy enough to run skyrim according to their specs.

I'll reply with my results soon :P

-HTMLHellFire

Seems the problem lies in Win 7 64 bit. We all seem to have it.

got the same problem. running win7 32bit though so i don't think that the problem lies there. also is never crashed in any dungeons before only on the main map (outside).

got a hd 6870 with 11.9 catalyst

hope there is a fix for this soon .. don't like to hard reset my pc ^

Edited by rando3