Skyrim complete PC crashes

Zolexus

I had that type of crash sometimes with a GTX 970 & 980. It went away then I upgraded to a GTX 980 ti.

Before the 970 I used a 680 4gb. It never crashed the computer, just the game.

The 980 & 970 are used by my Son & his Wife. Both are running flawlessly but they are not running Skyrim.

The 980 ti goes to a white screen when there is a rendering error but dose not take out the motherboard.

I use an old Gigabyte/crossfire motherboard even though I use Nvidia cards.

Later

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just chiming in here to say thanks to all! Thanks to the thread here I finally solved my Skyrim crashing problem. I'm running a EVGA 780 GTX Hydro Copper with an overclocked i7-2600K processor, ASUS Z68 MB. I tried factory clocks on the CPS, fresh Windows installs, updated the video driver, removed Geforce Experience, installed old video drivers, ran as administrator, ran in compatibility mode, reinstalled Skyrim with no mods, nothing. I was going crazy. I could play Crysis, benchmark, anything else and the system was rock solid but Skyrim would crash within a few minutes. I found the solution for me based on reading through the threads.

I found out it also had to do with the 2D mode/ 3D mode issue. I tried to fix it with Riva Tuner but was a little overwhelmed with all the options. So I went into the Nvidia settings, Manage 3D Settings - Global settings, and changed the following:

Power Management Mode: change from Adaptive to Prefer Maximum Performance

That's it! I'm not sure why it works but it did.

On a side note, League of Legends crashed multiple times too which was leading me to believe a hardware issue was to blame somehow. The above fix worked for League as well.

Thanks again!

Stickman64

I'm having the same problem too, i did this change too and i need to test it.

This ctd to black screen is somehow embarassing for Bethesda.

I've been playing Skyrim SE for months now and everything worked fine (beside the mod related problems one has when starts the modding process) until 2 days ago, i was experiencing crashes to black screen with no other oprion than hardware reset of my computer.

GTX 970 here.

I let you guys know if this method works after i test it more thoroughly, thanks to everyone!

• 2 weeks later...

I have the same problems with the whole PC crashing like the creator of this topic, but on a Windows 10 Pro.

I've tried different things to set an end to the crashes, they all didn't work:

• turning of all mods
  • reinstall the game, checking for file errors
  • installing different bug- or crash-fixing mods
  • deactivate the steam-overlay, the "saving in cloud"-function or other steam-related settings
  • over- and underclock the graphic card
  • installing different graphic card drivers
  • cleaning the rig from dust
  • changing the system sound-settings
  • deplug all unnecessary devices (controller, WLAN-stick, etc)
  • killing all background processes

I've also checked

• my CPU ( Intel Core i5 4670K )
  • my GPU ( NVIDIA Geforce GTX 970 Mini OC - Gigabyte )
  • my RAM ( 16384 MB DDR3, Dualchannel on 666,5 MHz )
  • my Harddrives ( 2 * "Seagate Barracuda 3.5 inch 2TB 7200 RPM 64MB 6GB/S Internal SATA Drive", connected in a virtual RAID 1 )

for errors. In each case there was nothing found.

Additionally I have in my rig:

• Sandisk ReadyCache 32GB Sdssdrc G26 internal SSD 32 GB 6.3 cm (2.5 Inches)/SATA III/Read up to 480MB/s
  • MSI H81M-P33 Intel H81 So.1150 Dual Channel DDR3 mATX Retail
  • a BluRay-diskdrive
  • intern USB-hub

At a mostly random time after starting the game, it crashes my system causing a random colored screen. I've noticed that:

• crashes happen much more often outside as inside.
  • the crash happens at no specific events or places.
  • sometimes the sound goes on for several minutes, sometimes stops with the visual.
  • the frequency of crashes increases with the time, the game is installed on the PC and the time progress of the savegame (regardless there is no certain period of time before the crashes, it's only a tendency)

Especially because of the last fact I took a look on the size of the savegames, useless config files etc and the health of the memory, but noticed nothing special. I went through the system event logs too, it reports only an unexpected loss of power. But only a few seconds before each crash the file filters "npsvctrig" and "FileCrypt" are loaded and warnings about the ID of harddrives are reported. The crashes are also independent from the OS as the game crashed even at Windows 7 and the several updates of Windows 10. Many other games like The Witcher III, Stellaris, Dying Light or Company of Heroes 2 run without problems, but there are certain games that also cause crashes like Mass Effect Andromeda or GTA V (In case of GTA V it's a bit different: since a few months the fps don't rise over 10, even in the menu so that also the cursor lags!).

As I work for months on this problem - I want to play Skyrim very gladly - I'm longing for a solution, but for me there are no ideas left. Maybe you guys could help me.

Thank you in advance!

//Edit

Problem solved!

The crashes were caused by the GTX 970. It seems it has memory issues. I've overclocked the VRAM for 200 MHz and underclocked the GPU for 200 MHz too. Since I changed this I hadn't any crashes at all!

Edited by Guest