Skyrim complete PC crashes

Zolexus

got the same problem. running win7 32bit though so i don't think that the problem lies there. also is never crashed in any dungeons before only on the main map (outside).

got a hd 6870 with 11.9 catalyst

hope there is a fix for this soon .. don't like to hard reset my pc ^

Now that you mention it, never happened to me either in dungeons, only outside. I did have a lot of crashes already tho trying out things to fix it, but I think I didn't have one yet indoors.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i'm running almost exactly the same system as hellfire and am also having this problem. i've tried multiple fixes, ive lowered the graphics settings tried the sound fix at multiple settings and none of it seems to work. so it seems like this crash isnt related to sound or specific video cards

Was trying to find people with the same problem as me and low and behold...

I'm running Win7 64-bit with a Radeon HD 6950.

So far I've:

Updated Video Card and Motherboard drivers completely (including the on-board audio drivers)

Updated DirectX to latest version

Changed o several different graphical settings and resolutions

Launched the .exe using Windows Xp SP3 compatibility

Run the .exe as Administrator

Run the game in Windowed mode

So far none of these have shown a difference. Sometimes I can play the game for a good hour before a crash, other times it's almost instantaneous. I first get a black screen, then my monitor light goes orange, then I hear the sound glitch up.

EDIT: And this crash happens at any time in game. Whether I'm in a dungeon or outside make no difference whatsoever.

Edited by ratMortar

I've got the same issue with a 6870 and Windows 7 64-bit. I got through the starting quest fine. My first crash was in River wood and it's now happening just a few seconds after the game finishes loading. I would love to play the game 15 feet at a time, but I think it functioning would be a little more pleasant.

I have exactly the same problem. Win 7 x64, HD6950. I only get crashes in outdoor areas, especially around Riverwood (or whatever the first town is called). I've never gotten the crash in a dungeon or other inside areas.

This is really game-breaking. I consider my game to be unplayable because I'm worried about having to hard reset my PC whenever I'm exploring (which is a lot in an Elder Scrolls game).

Well from everyones posts, it looks like the common denominator here is Win7.

Forgive me if I'm overlooking something, but it seems to be the most obvious thing :P

ratMortar pretty much explained my problem better than I could. I crash anywhere at anytime.

Such a shame to be honest, was really looking forward to a weekend of Skyrim action, uninteruptted of course.

All we can do is sit and wait for a hotfix for Win7. Perhaps writing tickets to their support my help speed the process of course.

-HTMLHellFire

Edited by HTMLHellFire

I have got something pretty similar. Except i get a white screen, while the music still plays for around 5 seconds and then gets cut off.

And as someone just stated, it does only ( or atleast from my experience) happen while being outside. Maybe it has something to do with memory being overloaded?

I am using:

a G-35 Logitech surround headset

4870HD

Q6600(i know its old :X)

Posted dxdiag.txt, but im going to doubt it will have anything to do with something thats not related to these three.