Skyrim complete PC crashes

Zolexus

are you f***ing kidding me??? a texture update for xbox??? what about the people who can't play the game at all????

there was a texture issue with rage .. really bad ... but at least i could play the game

Edited by rando3

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, it turns out that one of the times that I had to hard reset, it somehow caused a feedback loop in the display drivers. My system thought it was CCC version 11.10, but the GPU was thinking it was version 10.09. This caused a bit of an... argument. After rolling back the drivers (might update them again tomorow) I then had to to do a syscheck through the advanced startup menu. After my computer opened an orphanage for orphaned files and retrieved all of them, it has started up nicely. Also, it seems when I turned fan override off, it froze my system and crashed it for some odd reason.... so not gonna touch that again >_<.

So far system seems stable, but I have to get up early tomorrow so I can't put it through it's paces with Fallout 3 (Not gonna touch Skyrim until I get -PLAYER- confirmation that a patch fixes the majority of our problems) and I know that Fallout 3 works on my computer (or at least did work).

Also, kudos to monsterminty for the driver suggestion (I was gonna buy a new motherboard)

Same issue in a way. I have Windows7 64, 6870, Phenom II x4 965 @ 3.4 GHz, 4 gigs of ram.

More times than not if I try to view the outdoor map it crashes to black screen and I have to hard reset. That's the only time it crashes though, when I try to see the map.

The issue reminds me very clearly of the same thing I had with Dead Island.

Changed from HD 5850 to HD 6950 and got those crashes.

Now I don't have Skyrim yet, so I have no idea if I will have this problem again (hopefully not),

but lowering settings (and increasing fan speed) in Dead Island back then did not fix the issue, it only took longer for the "crash" to happen.

(I would strongly advise against continuously trying this with different settings, chances are high you are damaging your hardware over time.)

The issue is 100% with the game and seems to happen mostly with the HD 6xxx series. I blame both games being terrible console ports.

Hopefully this will get fixed for Skyrim at some point, because it has never been done in Dead Island (And I have given up on the latter).

So I sent Bethesda a ticket and they replied and told me to change the audio to 16 bit 44100 and send a dxdiag if that didn't work. Well obviously didn't work and sent them my dxdiag. They replied today wit:

"We are sorry that you are having issues. Our first suggestion would be to update your drivers. If that does not resolve your issue we suggest uninstalling and reinstalling the game to see if that resolves the issue.

Try downloading and installing the latest ATI reference drivers from Ati/Amd These can often solve problems such as missing or discolored/disfigured graphics, random lockups and crash, as well as slow graphics and/or poor performance."

I did that! Jerks!

So I reckon this is more or less the same issue. I am outside of whiterun trying to run to do the kill the bandit leader quest for the companions. Soon as I leave town and head that way the game just freezes. Sound continues but can not move or open any menus etc. Have to ctrl-alt-del out and shut it down. Pretty much the same specs as most here. ee

Got the black screen of death issue as well. I'm running a Radeon HD 6950, Athlon Phenom II X4 965 Processor (3.4 ghz), 8 GB of RAM and a Xonar DX2 sound card.

Really looking forward to a patch for this. I went through a crapton of s*** getting MW3 to work on my system last week, which ended up being a stupid texture setting, and was looking forward to play. Guess I need to wait until they get a patch out.

F that, I'm not buying Skyrim until I see update patch. Before release mod tools need fix unplayable game.

Clear as day rush game out the door. Crash errors and bug count keep rising everyday. >_<

Edited by quinton666