DvD not recognized by my DvD Drive?

Barlas

It seems my computer's DVD drive doesn't recognize my Skyrim disk. It isn't dirty at all, and I bought it from Walmart, so no Gamestop hyjinks with games that they do (like opening every game up and putting games in sleeves).

I went to my Work Laptop, and it started up just fine with showing the contents of the disk.

My actual gaming computer though doesn't like the disk and does not read it.

However, I have steam installed, so I just used the code listed in my case and am half way done downloading Skrim from steam. What I really want to know, is why doesn't my computer recognize it, but my laptop does?

Allow me to explain a little:

A single-layer disk can hold up to 4.7GB of data, where a dual-layer disc can hold up to 8.5GB.

Since Skyrim is 6GB (I think, I'm not sure that's the exact size), it would most likely come on a dual-layer DVD.

Oblivion, however, is 4GB, which means it can be held on a single-layer DVD.

If that's the case, then no, a driver update wouldn't work. You would need a new drive.

Test out a movie on it or something. Since most movies that come on DVDs are over 5GB, they would need a dual-layer disc.

I would be surprised if your DVD drive couldn't read a DL DVD. Only really old ones might not be able. Pretty much every one you could buy will read them..

I have a laptop from 2008, which really isn't that old, and it can't read DVD-DLs. And there are actually DVD drives still in production that can't read them either, so it's not all that uncommon.