First time in Morrowind: Mods or No Mods?

diggydug

A failed attempt at trying to gain interest in Fallout 4 has led me to turn to a game I've heard tons of praise for and have owned for years. Obviously that's Morrowind, which I've only spun up once in 2012 and for some reason didn't stick with it.

The point of this thread is simple: Should I do a purely Vanilla playthrough in this day and age or are there a few mods that maintain the vanilla vibe but are a "necessity"?

I'm not looking to go crazy on a first playthrough as I believe it's important to get a feel for the base game, however looking at Skyrim and Oblivion, there are some tweaks and "must-haves" looking back. Especially Skyrim and it's terrible UI.

If you do think I should get certain mods, are there any tricks & tips unique to Morrowind modding due to its age or is the NMM compatible/recommended with all Morrowind mods hosted on Nexus?

I didn't play it without mods when I first played it 7 years ago, and I wouldn't advise playing it without mods now. The first thing I did was install mods to make the characters look like they weren't made out of 20 polygons. Then one to increase the draw distance so it wasn't a constant fog thick as pea soup. Then some texture mods. If I were doing it today, I'd just install the graphics overhaul compilation.

I don't use MGSO. If you decide to use it have a look on Bethsoft for the thread about it, you'll need a few unofficial patches. I assume "this" is MGSO? It can be used with other mods; as MGSO doesn't add content to the gameworld you can add those kinds of mods to it, visual and sound mods are likely to conflict with those bundled into MGSO.

what do you guys think of MGSO 3.0?

The demo video I see on this page shows near-pitch black landscapes and buildings in full daylight. I wouldn't use it if there's no way to change it so that daylight actually illuminates things. I like to be able to see, and I'm not playing Pretty Sky Simulator.

Alright guys don't worry about it, I've got my list of mods down. Basically the popular graphical mods, patches and the official PC "DLC" for better or worse.

I appreciate the help and quick link to a great resource. Stumbled around, read some tutorials, downloaded a lot more than I thought I'd need and I'm ready to get the ball rolling. It's been a couple of years since I've stepped back over a decade into a game, I'm pretty excited.

http://i.imgur.com/ZiY4ie6.png

EDIT: A brief update. The Morrowind Graphics Extender (MGE) doesn't seem to be doing its thing, however. I've played through the character creation and made my first save, but the game is its default levels of foggy. Default levels with everything graphical. Can't quite find a fix for this that works and I'm really trying to avoid a full reinstall if I can so if anyone has any pointers, they'd be much appreciated.

EDIT: New update! Fixed the problems at hand, though I'm curious just how crazy I can go with the distant land generator, as it doesn't seem to change the fog all too much with generic settings.

In case anyone else runs into the same problem or is just curious, I uninstalled the MGE I had (3.3.0 I think) and got MGE 3.8.0 and used it instead. Worked like a charm.

http://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/5535

• 2 weeks later...

• 1 month later...

You should play it with mods.

-Sell your most valuable wares at their full value to merchant creatures without waiting to get a high mercantile with Merchant creatures in every city and village & Very rich Creeper and Mudcrab with new services

-Don't bother yourself buying expensive potions or looking for a place to rest when your magicka is empty with Restore magicka spell and enchant

-Don't rely on luck to make some spells succeed, make potions more easily and keep your grandmaster equipment for the rest of your life with Improved magicka and alchemy plus infinite use objects.

You should also use the Morrowind code patch with its tons of very useful features.