Less charitable NPCs

Juudas333

[solution found, and mod made: Less Charitable NPCs]

So I inform Jarl Balgruuf that Riverwood needs help and suddenly I am free to take every f***ing silver chalice in his hall without consequence? Seriously?

While making it way too easy to get rich, this also feels very unimmersive to me and makes stealing less rewarding.

Simply put I want a mod that restricts the amount of stuff friendly NPCs let the player take from their houses and stores. More specifically I would like friendly NPCs to only give away food, basic potions, basic crafting materials, basic clothing, armor and weapons and stuff that's basically junk, thus also leaving more to steal and making it more difficult to get rich fast, since stolen items can't be sold as easily.

Edited by Juudas333

The ownership of objects in a cell is often tied to an actor or faction - if you're friends with a certain actor or a member of a certain faction, all items up to a certain value in gold are able to be taken (e.g. 25, 50, 100, 500 for each of the four positive relationship ranks). The obvious solution would be to use a mod that rebalances the base prices of items such that every item you would consider junk costs less than 25 gold - or whichever of the above values you'd like to draw the line at - whereas the rest costs more. (I believe some of the major overhauls include something like that as a feature.)

The ownership of objects in a cell is often tied to an actor or faction - if you're friends with a certain actor or a member of a certain faction, all items up to a certain value in gold are able to be taken (e.g. 25, 50, 100, 500 for each of the four positive relationship ranks). The obvious solution would be to use a mod that rebalances the base prices of items such that every item you would consider junk costs less than 25 gold - or whichever of the above values you'd like to draw the line at - whereas the rest costs more. (I believe some of the major overhauls include something like that as a feature.)

Wouldn't you just remove the friendship faction that's added/prevent 'friends' ever happening?

The iFavor gamesettings determine the value of items that can be taken from friends, allies, confindants etc, easy to change in the CK/TES5Edit. I set mine to 1, 2 and 4 at max.

Oh, great! Thanks a lot for this, this might have solved the issue nicely for me.

In case someone else just as noob as me comes looking for the same solution, (I had to google how to change iFavor game settings) here's how to do this in CK:

Open Creation Kit, then click Gameplay > Settings...

A Gamesettings window opens, scroll until you find the following Editor IDs:

iFavorAllyValue

iFavorConfidantValue

iFavorFriendValue

iFavorLoverValue

The values are (in the same order) 100, 50, 25 and 500 by default.

There's also a line for iFavorPointsRestore. Any idea what that is for?

The iFavor gamesettings determine the value of items that can be taken from friends, allies, confindants etc, easy to change in the CK/TES5Edit. I set mine to 1, 2 and 4 at max.

Oh, great! Thanks a lot for this, this might have solved the issue nicely for me.

In case someone else just as noob as me comes looking for the same solution, (I had to google how to change iFavor game settings) here's how to do this in CK:

Open Creation Kit, then click Gameplay > Settings...

A Gamesettings window opens, scroll until you find the following Editor IDs:

iFavorAllyValue

iFavorConfidantValue

iFavorFriendValue

iFavorLoverValue

The values are (in the same order) 100, 50, 25 and 500 by default.

There's also a line for iFavorPointsRestore. Any idea what that is for?

It might have something to do with angering the npc by beating on him too much or stealing from him and the potential restoration of your relationship status, also possibly just an unused gmst.

Yeah, that crossed my mind too. The value is zero by default anyway, so I don't think it makes any difference in the vanilla setting at least.

Hell, I made this into a mod for everyone's convenience. Here you go.

Consider this matter officially closed!

Edited by Juudas333