Skyrim Fix random crash to desktop no error

Mizogucci

Will I Have NO and that's ZERO Mods, No New Textures, And i have did a new CLEAN reinstall NO tweaks Try reinstalling from Disk, from Steam AND STILL Crash to Desktop, Crash to Desktop, Crash to Desktop Like Every 1 to 2 Minutes, Started after THAT Last Patch I DID have a level 43 toon BUT have Not Been able to Play for 7 DAYs NOW!!!!!!!!!

Ho and tryed starting a NEW toon to and every 1 to 2 Minutes, Crash to Desktop, Crash to Desktop, Crash to Desktop !!!!

Edited by Tom21

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have no idea what a toon is, but I repeat the suggestion to delete the entire directory structure before re-installing.

Do you understand what that means? Eradicate all traces of Steam and Skyrim from your PC, and start afresh. Update your video drivers, and check the 'sound glitch' problem (altho it should have been fixed in 1.3.10).

If you have TRULY done a CLEAN install at 1.3.10 AND your PC is stable with the latest (or at least stable0 set of drivers - video, sound etc and you haven't OC'd your GPU or CPU or RAM or MOBO, then there's something wrong with your PC, I suggest, 1.3.10 seems pretty stable, and I have OC'd every damn thing I can :)

I have no idea what a toon is, but I repeat the suggestion to "delete the entire directory structure before re-installing" I DID!

And a New Toon is A New Player, A New Character!

P.S. Do a Search on here for "Patch 1.3.10" Then till me it's Stable!

Edited by Tom21

If you want my 2p, the CTDs are nothing at all to do with ffdshow. Nor any shadow setting that you haven't unwisely tweaked.

If you don't want my 2p, then CTDs are still nothing to do with ffdshow, nor any shadow setting you haven't unwisely tweaked.

Most likely it's mod you've installed or tweak you've made. Especially mods that you can't disable e.g. in NMM, because you dropped a few files deep inside the directory structure. That's what my problem was. Once I got rid of a texture mod and the FXAA injector my 1.3.10 game ran rock solid where previously it would crash at every save - auto (fast travel, wait, transition etc) or manual.

If you are plagued with CTDs do a CLEAN reinstall, add tweaks cautiously and test, add mods only via NMM (except SKSE and ScriptDragon themselves which are rock solid) and be selective about whose mods you use - be cautious if it's from a 12yo who wants a rainbow coloured glass sword or some other worthless eye-candy. Steer clear of fancy high-risk tweaks like ugridstoload etc too.

I found a fix for myself. I remembered using a program that came with Advanced System Care called Game Booster, so i decided to download it again and give it a try. After I started the program I clicked on "configure". I literally checked everything I could in the "configuration" for "services", and "other processes" (in "processes" I left all of my video card, sound card, and mouse processes unchecked), started the program and played skyrim all day without one crash. I have a older Computer, and my guess is it can't handle skyrim and everything else running at the same time. After killing all of the unecessary processes I can play crash free now. Here is a link to get it for free:

http://download.cnet.com/Game-Booster/3000-18512_4-10913645.html

All it does is take a predetermined or user defined list of unecessary processes/programs /services and shuts them down when you start the program before you play a game. This can make a huge difference on older computers like mine. After you are done, you just click to turn it off and it turns the processes/programs/services back on. Very simple, but effective.

I hope this works for you guys.

Edited by am1590

I found a fix for myself. I remembered using a program that came with Advanced System Care called Game Booster, so i decided to download it again and give it a try. After I started the program I clicked on "configure". I literally checked everything I could in the "configuration" for "services", and "other processes" (in "processes" I left all of my video card, sound card, and mouse processes unchecked), started the program and played skyrim all day without one crash. I have a older Computer, and my guess is it can't handle skyrim and everything else running at the same time. After killing all of the unecessary processes I can play crash free now. Here is a link to get it for free:

http://download.cnet.com/Game-Booster/3000-18512_4-10913645.html

All it does is take a predetermined or user defined list of unecessary processes/programs /services and shuts them down when you start the program before you play a game. This can make a huge difference on older computers like mine. After you are done, you just click to turn it off and it turns the processes/programs/services back on. Very simple, but effective.

I hope this works for you guys.

Wow, thank you for pointing this out. What a neat little program even if it doesn't stop the CTDs. Played for an hour after install without problems, but I also updated my Nvidia drivers.

Geforce.com recommends the latest beta drivers for a 25% performance increase in Skyrim, but I'm looking for more stability and the word 'beta' does not instil me with confidence. The charts also show video cards much higher than my GTX 295. Anyone know if I should keep the latest stable driver or install the beta version?

• 2 weeks later...

Setting Shadows to Low fixed this same issue for me

Two ATI Radeon 4800's in Crossfire mode, 2560x1600 resolution, running Vista x64

Mode set to "High" for graphics, nothing else fantastic done...big difference troubleshooting this versus "Rage" - don't even get me Started on That nightmare.

That didnt help mine what so ever. If you're getting the crash in the same part of a mission ie Fellglow Keep this wont help. I'm afraid it's a save game file issue. I tried validating my game files through steam to no adieu. I'd take a refund at this point.

Setting Shadows to Low fixed this same issue for me

Two ATI Radeon 4800's in Crossfire mode, 2560x1600 resolution, running Vista x64

Mode set to "High" for graphics, nothing else fantastic done...big difference troubleshooting this versus "Rage" - don't even get me Started on That nightmare.

That didnt help mine what so ever. If you're getting the crash in the same part of a mission ie Fellglow Keep this wont help. I'm afraid it's a save game file issue. I tried validating my game files through steam to no adieu. I'd take a refund at this point.

I agree this is a save game issue, i have noticed that files become larger as we play and save.. and most people with the CTD problem have logged in long hours. i installed the game on my desktop and used my save game files from my laptop and still received the same crashes on both computers..Older saves are half the size of my recent saves.. i had no problems at all when i first started the game.. and now im crashing in areas i have already been in and out during pass saves.. definitely a save game issue

• 2 weeks later...
Now I'm having this random CTD no error problem. I haven't been playing much Skyrim since December, and just started playing again like a day before the newest patch came out. I never had this issue before, I'm wondering if the new patch that just came out did something that is causing this to happen in my particular case...I've tried pretty much every fix in this thread with no results. Is anyone else having this problem suddenly since the patch came out??