Still trying to figure out 'Lost Synth' in Object Templates

The Story So Far...

I'm working on a mod that features unique Synth NPCs that resemble the types that are called 'Lost Synth' in Creation Kit entries. The ones with randomly assigned missing limbs and 'body holes'. I've been looking really hard at the Actor entry called 'EncSynth02Template', because it seems to be the form I need to follow.

That Actor reference is listed as a Gen1 Synth, but it has a Gen2 skin. It has 13 different entries inside the Object Template, all named 'Lost Synth xx', 01 thru 13. As far as I can determine (because a lot of things in the Object Template window will crash my CK), the list entries include attachment points and Object Mods that will change what Gen2 limbs are attached or missing. It may also have something to do with the armor it gets equipped, but I haven't figured out how that works yet.

Every time I open the Actor reference, the character preview looks different, and when I step through the Object Template list, it also changes. So my conclusion is that CK chooses an entry from that list and assigns it when the Actor is placed in a world cell. So all the 'Lost Synths' look slightly different. Cool. I want my Synth NPCs to look like one of those, but not with randomly assigned missing limbs.

So my logical decision: make a duplicate of 'EncSynth02Template' and delete all but one of those entries in the Object Template. That would make it so that my Actor only gets one body mod selection assigned, right? Wrong. After I deleted all but one entry in the Object Template list, the character preview lost ALL of its limb and skin mods, including the holes, which were still assigned in the Object Template. Yes, I opened it and closed it multiple times to allow it to refresh. I even tried placing one of my modified Actor Synths in my custom cell, and he looks whole. No holes, no missing limbs.

My question: How exactly does the Object Template window work? It continues to mystify me, and there is NO knowledge out there in the Googlesphere. Try searching 'Creation Kit Object Template' and see how little you get back.

(Blah blah, Bethesda complaint, blah blah.)

Every time I open the Actor reference, the character preview looks different, and when I step through the Object Template list, it also changes. So my conclusion is that CK chooses an entry from that list and assigns it when the Actor is placed in a world cell.

Yes. Just like presets for humanoid NPCs.

I'd personally look at a bogstandard synth (NPC) and then skip to the final tab with the presets and learn from that.

Glacknarf, I presume you mean 'nonstandard synth'? (or is that a UK expression? :D )

What 'Presets' do you mean? I haven't seen a tab or list with that label.

If there are any unique Synths that use the combination 'SynthGen1Race' and 'SkinSynthGen2Mech', that don't have all 13 'Lost Synth' options, I haven't seen them. The process I outlined above was my attempt to make one, and it didn't work.

WHY it didn't work is what I'm trying to figure out.

Edited by radiumskull

I've mentioned before about the definition of insanity as being, doing the same thing twice and expecting different results? Well, Creation Kit must be clinically psychotic (no surprise there), because my second try yielded the results I wanted. Go effing figure.