Mod conflicts and .dll

OK, a few other potential causes for quirks.

Some people are using those save game cleaners and if they choose the aggressive options (against advice from the creators of those tools) they can do damage.

If a mod uses SKSE and the player verifies the game through Steam and starts playing again without re-installing SKSE it will also cause damage.

That's another one I hadn't thought of: aggressive use of some save game cleaners - against advice from the creator, absolutely true. That's one I'll remember asking about next time someone reports an issue which makes no sense to me.

And Steam overwriting SKSE and me forgetting to reinstall SKSE happened to me a couple of times too, but the worst it's ever caused is some scripts which required SKSE will stop working properly. In the instance I'm wondering about, my mod didn't require skse.

Yeah at first I thought a variable may have become none (which is surprising enough), but after clarification it turned out the script was not the issue - it was more like some activators (not all) had been disabled or deleted, or their names erased thus making them impossible to activate. So improper use of a renamer, maybe? I've also had users who hid (and lost) invisible activators by just moving or adding furniture around them...