Storing Magicka

tomhardee

Idea:

A ring that can store magicka and allow its use later on for casting spells. This concept is similar to the Eragon and Dresden Files mechanics in the books where they were able to store magical energy in rings or other items and use it at a later time without expending their current reserves.

Mechanics:

A ring that stores magicka when you use channeling draining x magicka/s which is then stored as enchantment charge for when you run out of magicka in your available pool. When out of magicka the ring allows you to drain its charge keeping 1 magicka in your pool until ring reserves are empty.

Currently:

I'm working on the ring scripting now however I'm new to pex (though not to programming) and I already know how to apply the scripts and integrate them into items. I have a friend working on models but for now I'm using the standard diamond ring. I'd like a mentor/partner who is semi-fluent in pex or someone who could show me the ropes of how to achieve this mod.

Future:

• more rings and amulets
  • multiple tiers on the different rings
  • possibly store energy in a staff recharging it similar to another mod Charge or Fill by dybill.

This could probably be done with an ability that has a script attached to detect magicka being drained from a target. I am presently unsure how it would detect this with vanilla spells, however. If you do find a way to detect it, or if you make your own spell instead, it(or the new spell) could then write to a new Global Value, ie RawStoredMagicka.

You'd have to have an OnUpdate block for the spell itself, and make two functions which run within that:

The first function "stores" the magicka. It increases RawStoredMagicka by however much the script determines has been captured. When the ring is at least partially "full"(RawStoredMagicka reaches a certain value) this will then give the player a perk, that then casts a spell on the player that restores that amount of magicka when the player runs out.
That spell includes a tiny script to alter RawStoredMagicka back down to zero, and removes the perk.

The second function tracks the RawStoredMagicka value and alters a different global value, ie StoredMagickaCharges. This value is divided by some amount, and rounded down, probably. Using a lesser power, the player can then "use" one of these charges, by lowering the RawStoredMagicka value by the appropriate amount. Since the second function tracks RawStoredMagicka and automatically modifies StoredMagickaCharges this should work fine. Spending a charge would cast a spell on the player that would restore the player's magicka by the amount drained from RawStoredMagicka.

All in all, not impossible for sure, but a bit complicated, so I think and hope this outline will help you. Feel free to ask me for help if you so choose.

Edited by Fantafaust

Thanks this is similar to the conclusion that dylbill and I have come up with as well. I may use the multiple charges on a higher tier variant and just have the base ring have one charge we'll see. And thanks for the offer I might take you up on that if we get stuck.

You can try going for a 'charge' system where you can cast a spell beforehand that applies a certain magic effect on you, which could be a fortify magicka buff, and then when you cast a spell or deplete a certain amount of magicka, the buff vanishes. (I might just try to do this for myself. xD)

Anyway, someone started working on a mod based on your request. - http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/76579