Isn't it weird?

thierryu1

I was thinking about this for a long time and decided that i should share it with you guys and see if you guys feel the same.
Always when i play Skyrim or any other TES, i always thought it was strange that you could wear a (let's say 2h sword) on your back while having it enchanted with *example* FIRE. I don't know but i think that's not immersive. How can a weapon with magical flames on it that does damage to everyone, be on your bare back. Your skin would be scorched and your armor (lets say leather/hide) would melt/burn. Even if you'd sheath it, it would still make no sense. Anyway, maybe some of you modders out there can do something about this because i sure as hell don't know how to do that haha. Only do it if you feel like it of course.

Thank you for your time. :smile:

Edited by thierryu1

To make it immersive like you want it to be, you would need a metal scabbard or something, unfortunately I don't have the skills to make such a mod.

Yea i see what you mean, but that would make the scabbard glowing hot. Meh, it's atleast a better option than that there is now.

Actually, according to my (old) High School role players, magical properties of swords are inactive when sheathed. They claimed that some high-end swords would reqiure a soul every time you unsheathed it, in other words someone or some animal had to die every time you drew it. I think the consequences of not doing so were either a curse, loss of the sword, or the sword might even fight the wielder. Some people limited this belief to merely "drawing blood" instead of soul or death.

I think sheaths in medieval times were made of leather lining. When leather is subjected to burning heat for a long time, it becomes hard and cracked, or burns.

What good is a sword if you can't ever "put it away?" An all-metal apparatus for holding it might not be feasible, and would be heavy back then.

I would suggest the enchantment automatically becomes inactive as you sheath it, perhaps the sheath is paired to the sword on enchantment.

Edited by HalloweenWeed

I think mostly were made - like Halloween said - of leather with some metal parts. I do remember a lot of sabers having an all metal scabbard though. So it's not unfeasible if it's a one-hander, to make it fully metal. But, it is so if it's a two-hander, already having a scabbard is difficult for unsheathing it from your back (though, I suppose that would depend on the type of scabbard)...or at all, a metal one would be all that and heavy too.

@ Halloween Do you mean the scabbard will hold the enchantment because it's one with the blade and therefore protecting the wielder, if so that's a logical idea. Maybe Scabbards should get the same enchantment as the weapon and make it look actually visible. And you're right it's not doable to have a 2h weapon always in your hands because you cant sheath it.

I still find it a problem that the handle of a weapon is also enchanted, because if you look at a Warhammer, you can still see it glow all over the weapon instead of only the blade or the head. The Witcher franchise does this nicely by only enchating the blade and not enchanting the whole weapon. Because if i wear to hold a warhammer in this case, i would burn my hands.

So yea, Scabbards would be nice to see enchated with the same spell as the sword(only to defend it from spreading over your body) and i think it's also a good idea to only enchant the blade/head of a weapon instead of the whole weapon. UNLESS it's a weapon that does healing on you everytime you hit someone(leech) than it would be good to have the whole weapon enchanted so the power reaches your hand and goes trough your body aswell.

It's impossible to sheath a weapon from your back (a long sword or even a short sword) your arms can't stretch out so far to unsheath the etire blade from your back to get it over your head and infront of you. The only way for it to work is to A. Go and and turn over to give your arms more area to move. Or B. Pull it and grab it half way with your other hand by the blade and pull it out even more( which is as you might guess not very nice, a sharp blade with maybe an enchanting on it is not nice to grab). Anyway, i never saw the logic in having weapons on your back in Skyrim as it's realistically not possible to use it effectively. Yea, gladius's and Daggers are feasable but it's better to just have it sheathed on your chest or next to your hip.

Edited by thierryu1

It's impossible to sheath a weapon from your back (a long sword or even a short sword) your arms can't stretch out so far to unsheath the etire blade from your back to get it over your head and infront of you. The only way for it to work is to A. Go and and turn over to give your arms more area to move. Or B. Pull it and grab it half way with your other hand by the blade and pull it out even more( which is as you might guess not very nice, a sharp blade with maybe an enchanting on it is not nice to grab). Anyways, i never saw the logic in having weapons on your back in Skyrim as it's realistically not possible to use it effectively. Yea, gladius's and Daggers are feasable but it's better to jsut have it sheathed on your chest or next to your hip.

Exactly.

I'm sure the enchantment is't active while the weapon is on your back or in a scabbard.

The power of the soulgem is controlled by a thought of the enchanter and these mages are pretty smart. I'm sure they know what their enchantment should do ^^

Edited by Mastian1997

I'm sure the enchantment is't active while the weapon is on your back or in a scabbard.

The power of the soulgem is controlled by a thought of the enchanter and these mages are pretty smart. I'm sure they know what their enchantment should do ^^

It's still powered by a enemie's soul, so you can't controll it. You can't control a soul, as it always has the mind and spirit of the enemy you've slain. I know it's not active while it's sheathed but that's the whole point, i don't see why it would. There should be a enchantment on the Scabbard aswell to counter the damage the blade does against you(If you didnt had a enchanted scabbard ofc).

Edited by thierryu1