Automatron Paint Jobs?

redeyekado666

Okay, so I know that given the many resources available in the automatron mod, this request could be pretty time-consuming. However, Doesn't it bother you that you, the player, build a robot from scratch and then paint your masterpiece only to find that your canonically brand-new paint job is instantaneously rusted and weathered? (Kudos, player character. You may run the Institute, or be the Sentinel of the Brotherhood, but you're still so incompetent that rust literally comes out of your paintbrush.)

So, I think for the sake of many people's sanity and immersion, either replacers or more paint options are in order. Again, from my perspective (Which includes no mod-making experience) this seems like a large task given the variety of parts in the dlc.

I've already mentioned work size. Are there any other limitations that would keep this mod from becoming a reality? Anything about this potential project that's particularly unappealing?

Thanks in advance for your interest. This has been driving me crazy, so I can't wait to see whether a solution could reasonably be made.

Actually, you wouldn't need to recolor hundreds or thousands of textures to accomplish this. There are what, four, robots you can build? There are only four textures, total, for all the robots. I've looked into this already and found out that each robot has one diffuse texture for all of it's possible parts. It is also in grayscale so that other colors my be applied to them without actually recoloring the textures yourself. If anyone knew how to alter the grayscale to include more colors then I think it would be fairly easy.

Actually, you wouldn't need to recolor hundreds or thousands of textures to accomplish this. There are what, four, robots you can build? There are only four textures, total, for all the robots. I've looked into this already and found out that each robot has one diffuse texture for all of it's possible parts. It is also in grayscale so that other colors my be applied to them without actually recoloring the textures yourself. If anyone knew how to alter the grayscale to include more colors then I think it would be fairly easy.

Interesting. It might therefore be possible to also add patterns, like military camouflage, and then even have that in different colors?

The actual colors will be somewhere in automatron's esm, I think. You should try to find them in the CK.

That's amazing actually. The same textures for ALL of those pieces? The pieces themselves seemed too detailed to be anything but individual textures, but I can see how that texture method would work. That makes this mod's possibilities expand quite a bit.

Would the files that are needed possibly be like the make up colour files in the main game? All you need to do is edit the colour files themselves to make them brighter/darker/funkier once found? It's simple to do in the CK once you find the colour files.

So we've established at this point that the texture files are far fewer than expected, and therefore far easier to edit. I have seen a mod on the nexus recently that sharpens up and brightens up the colors a bit, but did nothing for the rust which is my main concern. Can anyone confirm whether the rust patterns are their own separate texture, or are they a part of the main color texture? I'd check myself, but I have literally no idea how.

Not exactly true. Im not sure about the robots in vanilla, this may be the case, but for the dlc there are about 80 texture files for the build-a-bot- robots. and all the material swaps are doing is remap the color. So to make custom textures could take a bit, i wont do too many, but im thinking faction themes, the trick will be getting the textures to be seamless accross all the different types of robots.

maybe a paintjob to represent each shop type, and maybe a few racing stripe type ones? idk let me know.

Some of the files just to name a few, but yeah, there are four robots you can build but tons of different armor upgrades, arm types, melee weapons, gun attachements, etc

P.S looking into the rust question.

hW8VBcw.png

Edited by thelaurent

So we've established at this point that the texture files are far fewer than expected, and therefore far easier to edit. I have seen a mod on the nexus recently that sharpens up and brightens up the colors a bit, but did nothing for the rust which is my main concern. Can anyone confirm whether the rust patterns are their own separate texture, or are they a part of the main color texture? I'd check myself, but I have literally no idea how.

Eh, when it comes to material swaps, there is always alot of long boring work. But, a really rewarding result. Yes it will be possible to remove the rust, but just like with the weapons, the colors on robots are defined by really f*#@ing annoying pallete maps, so basically its going to be a few days of trial and error and hopefully i can get you guys a couple of nice robot skins soon.