Heavy Traffic ×

Automatron Paint Jobs?

redeyekado666

Actually, you wouldn't need to recolor hundreds or thousands of textures to accomplish this. There are what, four, robots you can build? There are only four textures, total, for all the robots. I've looked into this already and found out that each robot has one diffuse texture for all of it's possible parts. It is also in grayscale so that other colors my be applied to them without actually recoloring the textures yourself. If anyone knew how to alter the grayscale to include more colors then I think it would be fairly easy.

Not exactly true. Im not sure about the robots in vanilla, this may be the case, but for the dlc there are about 80 texture files for the build-a-bot- robots. and all the material swaps are doing is remap the color. So to make custom textures could take a bit, i wont do too many, but im thinking faction themes, the trick will be getting the textures to be seamless accross all the different types of robots.

maybe a paintjob to represent each shop type, and maybe a few racing stripe type ones? idk let me know.

Some of the files just to name a few, but yeah, there are four robots you can build but tons of different armor upgrades, arm types, melee weapons, gun attachements, etc

P.S looking into the rust question.

hW8VBcw.png

Yeah, that's kinda what I was afraid of. I knew the single texture thing was too good to be true. You've got some good ideas, but more to the original point, how hard do you think it would be to make rust-less versions of the existing in-game paint jobs for custom Automatrons? I figure each armor piece would have to be individually colored. (Or recolored, as it were) I simply don't know if that entails painfully repainting each texture, or filling a texture with color and calling it a day. A modder I am not.

Actually, you wouldn't need to recolor hundreds or thousands of textures to accomplish this. There are what, four, robots you can build? There are only four textures, total, for all the robots. I've looked into this already and found out that each robot has one diffuse texture for all of it's possible parts. It is also in grayscale so that other colors my be applied to them without actually recoloring the textures yourself. If anyone knew how to alter the grayscale to include more colors then I think it would be fairly easy.

Ehh, material swaps are an unnecessary pain in the ass, I can definetly do it, but itll take about a week, make sure to leave your skin suggestions

So we've established at this point that the texture files are far fewer than expected, and therefore far easier to edit. I have seen a mod on the nexus recently that sharpens up and brightens up the colors a bit, but did nothing for the rust which is my main concern. Can anyone confirm whether the rust patterns are their own separate texture, or are they a part of the main color texture? I'd check myself, but I have literally no idea how.

Eh, when it comes to material swaps, there is always a lot of long boring work. But, a really rewarding result. Yes it will be possible to remove the rust, but just like with the weapons, the colors on robots are defined by really f***ing annoying pallete maps, so basically its going to be a few days of trial and error and hopefully i can get you guys a couple of nice robot skins soon.

Congrats on being amazing. Seriously, way to come through for us on that one. Take your time by all means and let us know if something makes progressing difficult or unattainable. I know this process is time-consuming and tedious, but as you said the end result is really rewarding. I'm sure there are many, MANY on the nexus that want this, even if it never occurred to them that they did. As I said, this has ALWAYS bothered me since Automatron came out, and there's absolutely no reason a canonically brand-new paint job on a brand-new robot shouldn't look pre-war as hell. Come to think about it, same with power armor paint. But that's a whole new can of worms...

Ok, I may well be mistaken about how many textures there are total, it is not unheard of, however, I do seem to recall coming across a texture called DLC01WastelandRobotKit_d.dds that I believe has all the textures for the Wasteland Armor pieces, at least for the Assaultron, anyway. Not sure if it works for the others or not. And that's why I said there should only be four or five textures total, not thinking about the other "Robot Kits" there might be. So while, yes, I see you found a lot of textures for Robots, and indeed I have quite a few of them as well after I went looking, Most of them seem to be for the different weapons and parts you can add to the base robot, not the armor that you add to said robot.

Ok, I may well be mistaken about how many textures there are total, it is not unheard of, however, I do seem to recall coming across a texture called DLC01WastelandRobotKit_d.dds that I believe has all the textures for the Wasteland Armor pieces, at least for the Assaultron, anyway. Not sure if it works for the others or not. And that's why I said there should only be four or five textures total, not thinking about the other "Robot Kits" there might be. So while, yes, I see you found a lot of textures for Robots, and indeed I have quite a few of them as well after I went looking, Most of them seem to be for the different weapons and parts you can add to the base robot, not the armor that you add to said robot.

So basically for each robot (there are 5) has a handful of textures which affect the arms, legs, torso head, extra parts, armor, etc, the wasteland kit and construction kit are used as atlas maps for certain parts of the rust devil/primal robot parts and for the cleaner robot parts like the actuated armor, etc.

The trick is creating clean textures, the diffuse textures in the vanilla game are set up for color remapping which basically means the textures are unusable for detailed, so a clean robot can take a while to texture, but its definitely possible. I've made a tutorial on how to clean up the vanilla textures and bake new ambient occlusion maps you can watch here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dy84Nyp2FVE&feature=youtu.be

as for the mod, uploading to bethesda and nexus right now, heres a lil sneak peak (its called "Laurent's Robot Skins" btw )

Pl56jyz.jpg

Not exactly true. Im not sure about the robots in vanilla, this may be the case, but for the dlc there are about 80 texture files for the build-a-bot- robots. and all the material swaps are doing is remap the color. So to make custom textures could take a bit, i wont do too many, but im thinking faction themes, the trick will be getting the textures to be seamless accross all the different types of robots.

maybe a paintjob to represent each shop type, and maybe a few racing stripe type ones? idk let me know.

Some of the files just to name a few, but yeah, there are four robots you can build but tons of different armor upgrades, arm types, melee weapons, gun attachements, etc

P.S looking into the rust question.

hW8VBcw.png

Yeah, that's kinda what I was afraid of. I knew the single texture thing was too good to be true. You've got some good ideas, but more to the original point, how hard do you think it would be to make rust-less versions of the existing in-game paint jobs for custom Automatrons? I figure each armor piece would have to be individually colored. (Or recolored, as it were) I simply don't know if that entails painfully repainting each texture, or filling a texture with color and calling it a day. A modder I am not.

Cleaning rusty textures is long and annoying and tedious, but possible