More Hardcore/Desperate Economy

RPINerd

So I have pretty much modded FO4 to play almost exactly how I want it to, but there is one thing that irks me whether I have 2 or 200 mods installed, 1 hour or 3 days of playtime, wandering alone or have a vast network of settlements and income. It doesn't matter what the difficulty or what the circumstance, I am always SWIMMING IN CAPS.

There are a handful of mods that alter the economy in various ways - most recently I've looked into No Wealth for the Commonwealth - and they tend to have a good premise but either monkey with drops or introduce counterbalances that bring you back around to the original problem.

I don't know how to even begin designing game mechanics or working through advanced economy balancing. I think I have an idea what I'm looking for but I'm sure there are some huge issues that I don't foresee with the changes. So just throwing out ideas in no particular order with just one or all being implemented:

• Increase Costs
    • All vendor prices upped by 20-25%
    • Things like pre-prepared foods increased 3 or 4 fold
    • Material costs for construction boosted 30-50%
      • Forces need for resource shipments
      • Any easy way to patch with settlement construction mods?
    • Doctors fees doubled at least, basically a brutal interpretation of Greedy Doctors
    • Massively increase needs to craft chems - Jet Empires are way too easy
  • Decrease Income
    • No alteration to default cap income from settlements (Maybe even drop 10%)
    • Selling prices drastically decreased
      • Especially with weapons/armor, they're heavily "used" afterall
      • Chems should be valuable but either harder to come by or harder to haul (i.e. weight increase)
    • Vendors should only be interested in wares they trade in [Thanks @Wunderbot!]
      • I don't think K.L.E.O is interested in becoming a jet dealer
    • Settlement Surplus
      • Settlement surplus production should be unlimited
      • Love the idea of surplus water being dirty
  • Character Modifications
    • Carry weight decreased [Thanks @Wunderbot!]
    • Nerf the various perks relating to loot and bartering
  • Miscellaneous
    • Just remove a decimal; maybe what bugs me is seeing 14K caps in my pocket (14,328 Vanilla -> 1,432 Modded)
    • Alter caps as an item
    • Caravan attacks
      • Very long/dangerous routes for settlement links discouraged
      • Attacks incur a significant financial penalty
      • Loose a random assortment of materials
    • Settlement Raid Looting [Thanks @Wunderbot!]
      • If you fail to respond, random amounts of loot are stolen from your chests located in the settlement
      • Workshop overall could lose 2 or 3% of all inventory
      • Certain things more sought after (i.e. attackers aren't going to haul off 100 concrete if you have a chest full of caps and legendaries right there)

I will edit to add anything that comes to mind later. If anyone has some suggestions that fall along the same lines as my visions I'll throw them in as well. Needless to say, if this mod already exists or is in production please let me know!

Edited by RPINerd

You should look up some basic FO4EDIT or GECK tutorials, most of these should be pretty easy to pull off yourself, really. Just a matter of finding the entries and changing the numbers to your liking.

Switching around values will only get you so far though. Decreasing and increasing the buy/sell value of certain things could help, but you also need to keep different difficulty levels in mind, so your shifting value from less important matters like weaponry and armour to food and doctors don't make things impossible in the early game on Very Hard and Survival, when bottlecaps actually still matter.

Some other suggestions would be to just lower the overall carrying weight. Investing into strength and Strong Back allows you to just carry -a lot- and I wouldn't underestimate the impact that has on your character's wealth.

Another thing would be that traders only buy things they actually trade in. Main offender being chems. I find it weird that every trader seems to be interested in becoming a jet dealer.

I like the caravan attacks. Maybe include consequences for settlement attacks? Like being able to lose loot from your containers if you don't take care of a settlement attack. And giving bottlecaps weight and thus forcing you to store them somewhere (there's already a mod out there that allows you to store caps) would work well with that as well, since you can lose you'd be forced to store caps.

You should look up some basic FO4EDIT or GECK tutorials, most of these should be pretty easy to pull off yourself, really. Just a matter of finding the entries and changing the numbers to your liking.

...you also need to keep different difficulty levels in mind...

...lower the overall carrying weight. Investing into strength and Strong Back allows you to just carry -a lot- and I wouldn't underestimate the impact that has on your character's wealth... every trader seems to be interested in becoming a jet dealer.

...I like the caravan attacks. Maybe include consequences for settlement attacks?

I think I actually will spend some time after work today looking into how modding works, I've never thought I would have what it takes to really do anything solid lol

Yeah difficulty levels I definitely did not have in mind. When I think about making the economy much more difficult I don't see it being used on any level but survival. Early game I also don't have a lot of perspective on because I tend to latch onto a single character and don't restart unless I completely break a save file ;)

Lowering carry weight I will definitely add, though I know it would be more than a little aggravating getting used to because I absolutely am one of those people who pick up ALL THE THINGS. But you are absolutely right that it strongly affects character wealth.

Settlement attack looting would be a good continuation of the caravan raids! And if caps had weight, forcing you to store them in settlements, losing them in a raid could potentially be catastrophic :D

I'd like to see about 95% of prewar everything removed. It would have been scaved and worn out long ago.

To replace weapons and armor the game needs lots more improvised items like pipe weapons, home remedies, ect ect

I'm half and half with this. Yes, from a realistic view, most prewar tech and weapons would be pretty much destroyed; however, the more fancy weapons are pretty fun to use and look really sexy when you equip an entire settlement with a professional looking arsenal. Additionally, one of the mods I've pretty much decided should be vanilla is the kalash assault rifle. If you've ever used or handled an AK style weapon in real life you know that these rifles are dang near indestructable, and I would have no trouble believing that massive stockpiles of them would survive a nuclear holocaust.

Replacing weapons and armor with more improvised things would add realism but I don't think would be a focused addition to improving the economy. Not to mention, if I end up attempting this mod myself, I will be entirely too lazy to try introducing apparel overhauls :tongue:

I don't think realism fits this game. The war was 200 years ago, not 20. We'd have lush forests and society would heve been rebuilt.

Fallout by bethesda is a post apocalyptic wasteland theme park. Let's play along.

I was having a similar idea. Editing leveled lists and tweaking economy to create a harsher world.

The main force behind this harsher world would be hunger. You need to eat and drink to survive.

But there's no more pre war food lying around. And everything you eat or drink adds radiation. You need to eat to survive. But it will slowly kill you.

I was thinking about this dynamic. Food being health and poison at the same time. You need meds and you have to work to stay healthy.

But i think we'd need more options to make money. More activities. I don't want to become a trader.

I was thinking about bounty hunting. A bounty board maybe in diamond city. It generates random bounties that create a random enemy boss somewhere in the commonwealth with random atributes, abilities and loot.

Pretty much a radiant quests with more interesting enemies.

Anyway i would taylor a mod like this around survival difficulty.

I too am new to modding. I have so many ideas. Just don't know where to start.

Edited by Verme Sujo

I don't think realism fits this game....

I was having a similar idea. Editing leveled lists and tweaking economy to create a harsher world.

The main force behind this harsher world would be hunger. You need to eat and drink to survive.

But there's no more pre war food lying around. And everything you eat or drink adds radiation. You need to eat to survive. But it will slowly kill you.

I was thinking about this dynamic. Food being health and poison at the same time. You need meds and you have to work to stay healthy.

But i think we'd need more options to make money. More activities. I don't want to become a trader.

..I was thinking about bounty hunting. A bounty board maybe in diamond city...

...I too am new to modding. I have so many ideas. Just don't know where to start.

No I agree, 100% realism is not what fallout is all about. I think when people are looking for "realism" or "immersion" mods it's with an unspoken understanding that everything needs to fall reasonably within the universe created by bethesda.

In principal I absolutely agree that eating/drinking is a key part of an immersive experience; unfortunately, in practice it becomes rapidly tedious. I've mapped pure water to a button on my mouse and I'm still irritated every 15 minutes having to open up the pip boy to eat more food. This is why I see the balance coming from increasing cost of food rather than the need to consume.

I'm not sure if I wanna be a trader or not. However, I absolutely do want a reason to meticulously manage settlements and resources. There's a lot of cool hidden mechanics in place with the workshops and vendors but they are entirely inconsequential because of the surplus of seemingly everything in the world.

Bounties already exist don't they? And there's already a mod to make the bounty board infinite if I remember correctly....

The last time I used the creation kit was like a decade ago when I wanted to make a house in Morrowind :laugh: I'm a very experienced mod installer, but I know nothing about the work that goes into making them.

There is a bounty board? Oo

300+ hours and i never knew

At Diamond City. Face Moe and then to your left. Only has one bounty on it though.

I'd like to see about 95% of prewar everything removed. It would have been scaved and worn out long ago.

I'm already working on a big retexture mod for clothing in that regard, actually.

In the end I think you need to focus your efforts on the more scarce things. Food and drinks, meds and ammunition. How far would you go with it though? Cause if you want to go really far, it would have an impact on the entire gameplay. Realistically, meds and ammunition would be really scarce because they don't have the means to make more of it so as time goes on, it becomes harder and harder to find. Pushing that far enough could lead to a complete overhaul that makes NPCs use up ammunition, ammo being hard to find, and buying it being really expensive, forcing both player and NPCs to use melee weapons far more often. Finding weapons in the post-apocalypse is probably not that hard (at least not in the USA with all the weapons they have). It's ammo that poses a problem.

Edited by Wunderbot

There is a bounty board? Oo

300+ hours and i never knew

Hahah! Oh man I am so glad I'm not the only one who took upwards of 250 hours to notice it XD I remember it wasn't until my 3rd full character replay that I finally discovered it was there.

...I'm already working on a big retexture mod for clothing in that regard, actually...

Actually a retexture would be a much more efficient method of dealing with this. I've started stumbling around with FO4edit and the Creation Kit and quickly have realized how labor intensive even simple things will be :pinch: