Games like Fallout 3/NV and TES

jangofett890

Are there any games that are really close gameplay wise to Fallout 3/NV and the elder scrolls? Every one I ask says things like the witcher or mass effect series but those don't have what I'm looking for. I'm looking for a game where you create your own character you can play in first or third person, and the game's story is NOT concrete(Like in fallout 4 where you cannot make a real character because he is already made for you, like in Mass Effect and the Witcher) and there is an open world. Why is it that bethesda games are the only games that seem to have this kind of gameplay? Where the story isn't linear and you can be anyone you want to be, unlike in every other RPG where you are confined to what the writers had in mind for the character. In Fallout 3 you could be an evil asshole and side with the enclave, blow up megaton, and sell kids to slavers. In Skyrim you could join the dark brotherhood and the theives guild and steal and murder to your hearts content, no other RPG games let you be the bad guy, and disappointingly Fallout 4 falls under that category where there is way too much focus on who the player already is instead of what the player can become.

TL;DR What are games like Skyrim and Fallout 3 that let you make your own character physically and story wise.

Why is it that bethesda games are the only games that seem to have this kind of gameplay?

That's why I tend to only play Bethesda games year after year.

One you might take a look at is "Dungeon Lords". While not exactly like a Bethesda game it does share some of the features that I like in them. I was playing it quite heavily just before the release of Oblivion. It's probably pretty cheap by now. Just remember to get the update as the game is well and truly broken without it. It also needs some special configuring to work with Windows 64bit.

Good luck.

The Rabbit

Edit: Check that. Since the last time I looked it seems that there is a special Steam Edition available on their site. If you are interested it is on sale for $3.74 until July 4th. It comes with all of the fixes installed. I just added it to my library. It can be found here:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/271760/

The Rabbit

Edited by Rabbit 51

It is my understanding that the Mount and Blade games are very open ended. I have never played any of these games before though, so I cannot personally vouch for them. But I have had a few people recommend them to me.

Mount & Blade: Warband (it's the best one imo) has you make your character, set your stats, and then the world is yours.

I've been a noble knight. A mercenary. A lord. A bandit. A vigilante. A merchant.

With mods I've been a soldier and slave trader. An aspiring sword-for-hire working his way up the political ladder.

Definitely one of the few games that has you make a character and the world is yours to explore.

I recommend getting familiar with horses no matter your playstyle however. Try not being a capable rider and see how far you get on the battlefield.

• 3 weeks later...

Very funny post. You're saying that you had real choices in FO3 or Skyrim (when in reality you hadn't) and could play bad character, which is such a lie. Evil character in FO3 makes absolutely no sense, read on it. In Skyrim it's even worse, you can only pretend to be bad, you have absolutely 0 interaction in the world. Every NPC sees you as blank page, and no one (except scripted scenes) acknowledges who you are. Basically FO4 is the same as FO3 and FNV only with less dialogue options which doesn't affect much in either of these games (maybe only in FNV to some extent).

Considering this, it's not really clear what you're asking for. Those Beth games are mix of sandbox and RPG, and does poorly both. Now, you have to understand what you really want, if that's sandbox with openworld, infinite freedom and lots of stuff to do, than I would look at GTA (all it's clones like SR/SD/WD and etc), Mount and Blade, ARMA3 or some survival like DayZ maybe.

If you're looking for quality RPG where you create your character with good, interesting story, where your choices REALLY matter and affect world, NPCs react to them, I would go for classic RPGs, old or new ones would be your personal choice.

• 3 weeks later...

Very funny post. You're saying that you had real choices in FO3 or Skyrim (when in reality you hadn't) and could play bad character, which is such a lie. Evil character in FO3 makes absolutely no sense, read on it. In Skyrim it's even worse, you can only pretend to be bad, you have absolutely 0 interaction in the world. Every NPC sees you as blank page, and no one (except scripted scenes) acknowledges who you are. Basically FO4 is the same as FO3 and FNV only with less dialogue options which doesn't affect much in either of these games (maybe only in FNV to some extent).

Considering this, it's not really clear what you're asking for. Those Beth games are mix of sandbox and RPG, and does poorly both. Now, you have to understand what you really want, if that's sandbox with openworld, infinite freedom and lots of stuff to do, than I would look at GTA (all it's clones like SR/SD/WD and etc), Mount and Blade, ARMA3 or some survival like DayZ maybe.

If you're looking for quality RPG where you create your character with good, interesting story, where your choices REALLY matter and affect world, NPCs react to them, I would go for classic RPGs, old or new ones would be your personal choice.

Why is it that when you ask for help, some people have to ridicule you before actually providing any real help? Why do these people make asinine assumptions instead of asking for clarification? Maybe this behavior makes them feel better about themselves. They just do not know (or care) how it makes them look.

Several have recommended the Mount and Blade series, and I will add my endorsement.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Dragon age Inquisition. I haven't played this game much,but it seems to be the game youwant.

Noooooope.

It's not playable in first person, it's not really open world, and you're pretty much set with the writer's story. I also don't really remember any moments where you could be an evil a**hole. Also, it's just not very good.

Edited by RS13