So, OOO+MOO, or just MOO?

LordOfDragons01

As title says, I just can't decide whether or not to install just MOO by itself, or include OOO as well...Looking at OOO, I jsut can't figure out if its really worth it or not. I've hear on one hand people love it, but I hear it also makes you pretty OP earlier on due to drowning you in higher end gear, is this true? Does it have any other super signifigant additions that make it a "must have" mod, or would I be better off just going with full on MOO by itself?

Hi! I had the same doubt recently. So what I did was starting with OOO by itself to try it out.

In my experience: it didn't make me OP, but it turned me into a little girl lost in the woods during satanic chants. You DO get better loot (if you can open the containers), and I found it pretty balanced to be honest. After a while, I was able to finish some starter dungeons (Vilverin, Sideways cave, Fatback cave, some forts) but my melee-only character was not being rewarding enough. So I read on some forums that OOO makes Mages kick some sweet ass, and decided to try it.

After that, I installed MOO and began using both (MOO + OOO) together, and It's been great so far! I also use the Realistic Leveling mod just to change things a little. And also Balanced Magic.

MOO doesn't conflict with OOO. OOO makes the game harder, not only leveled to your character, and more, much more diverse. Also many factions and such like better bandits, amazons, more monster groups and others. It's cool because you won't own everything at lvl 1 anymore, and forget the "min is max" rule, you NEED your atribute points. If you use Realistic Leveling, then nevermind, but if you don't, I suggest you use the "always +5" mod, that always gives you +5 points in atributes you've leveled up through your skills.

I also suggest using the Scout mod, so you can see the enemie's levels, HP, Mana and Fatigue bars. It's much easier to know if you can possibly handle a situation if you can see these numbers. But I suppose it can be fairly un-immersive aswell. Either way, both mods work great together! At least in my personal opinion.

Let us know what you've chosen!!

Edited by saltted

Thank you for the input! did you ever try out MOO by itself, out of curiosity? I know it also adds in factions, leveled creatures, and all that sort of thing as well, so how well do they itneract with eachother when put together? My fear, is that by adding in OOO, I'd end up getting to level 40 or so, and be completely OP to everything and everyone, due to OOO having a lot of static leveling for creatures(not necessarily a bad thing though). The hand palced loot is very enticing, as it gives that Morrowind feeling to the world that I adore soo much, plus I hear OOO adds in a fair number of extra questlines to do, as to where MOO has a few radiant style quests on boards, but that's about it I think.

All that said, ugh...such a hard choice! If anyone else has any comments on this I'd love to hear them. Till then I'll have to continue tweaking my load order and mods until I eventually figure out what I want :P

Did you consider Francesco + MOO + LAME + OblivionXP + rebalanced races? Its my setup and I am fairly happy.

Francesco adds lots of content and fixes the "world scales with you" problem (in my opinion) better than OOO. And, yes. In OOO At level 40-50 you dominate the whole game world; it's even explained in the readme.

LAME makes the defensive magic more interesting without making it overpowering. I admit, in this context OOO did a nice job too.

OblivionXP is another fix to the level up system that makes it similar to classic games like Baldurs Gate. I have to admit it's kinda "give up" as solution to the problems of Oblivion leveling, however I always found totally stupid that to train you need successes as it implies repeat and repeat simple actions. I find it unrealistic and immersion breaking; what kind of sense makes that an expert of Destruction needs to light matches to improve?

Rebalanced Races: makes select the race actually interesting making them different. No more: "Why should anyone not play a Breton/Atronach? A part of sense of challenge, I mean." "Oh, that's restricts a lot..."

I also use Realistic Health and Fatigue with more forgiving settings than the default so it's still make fights more interesting and give visual feedbacks, but it does not alter the vanilla game much outside fighting.

If you are interested I can share more about my setup, like .ini files or exactly that .esp files I used.

Edited by zdswulyx

Thank you for the input! did you ever try out MOO by itself, out of curiosity? I know it also adds in factions, leveled creatures, and all that sort of thing as well, so how well do they itneract with eachother when put together? My fear, is that by adding in OOO, I'd end up getting to level 40 or so, and be completely OP to everything and everyone, due to OOO having a lot of static leveling for creatures(not necessarily a bad thing though). The hand palced loot is very enticing, as it gives that Morrowind feeling to the world that I adore soo much, plus I hear OOO adds in a fair number of extra questlines to do, as to where MOO has a few radiant style quests on boards, but that's about it I think.

All that said, ugh...such a hard choice! If anyone else has any comments on this I'd love to hear them. Till then I'll have to continue tweaking my load order and mods until I eventually figure out what I want :tongue:

You're welcome :)

Nope, haven't tried MOO by itself. And yes it adds new factions, leveled stuff, and the amazing delicious hand placed loot.

Also, I don't know about being lvl like 40 in OOO cause I'm still fairly new, but I do believe it does make you a god yes.

OOO has some cool questlines (slave trade, skyrim bandits, amazons, among others) and MOO adds notice boards to cities, where you can see what's going on, invasions, houses to sell and such.

I can't give you a very detailed inside because as I said previously, I'm still fairly new to it (lvl 5 mage-rogue with a raging cleptomaniac compulsion jesus christ I can't get any progress done because I *need* to go around stealing people's hard earned goodies. BUT HEY, I AM trying to save the world, while they just goof around being morons, so excuse me for believing that I am entitled to some precious loot!)

Did you consider Francesco + MOO + LAME + OblivionXP + rebalanced races? Its my setup and I am fairly happy.

Francesco adds lots of content and fixes the "world scales with you" problem (in my opinion) better than OOO. And, yes. In OOO At level 40-50 you dominate the whole game world; it's even explained in the readme.

LAME makes the defensive magic more interesting without making it overpowering. I admit, in this context OOO did a nice job too.

OblivionXP is another fix to the level up system that makes it similar to classic games like Baldurs Gate. I have to admit it's kinda "give up" as solution to the problems of Oblivion leveling, however I always found totally stupid that to train you need successes as it implies repeat and repeat simple actions. I find it unrealistic and immersion breaking; what kind of sense makes that an expert of Destruction needs to light matches to improve?

Rebalanced Races: makes select the race actually interesting making them different. No more: "Why should anyone not play a Breton/Atronach? A part of sense of challenge, I mean." "Oh, that's restricts a lot..."

I also use Realistic Health and Fatigue with more forgiving settings than the default so it's still make fights more interesting and give visual feedbacks, but it does not alter the vanilla game much outside fighting.

If you are interested I can share more about my setup, like .ini files or exactly that .esp files I used.

I started using oblivion XP because of your comment and I LOVE IT. It gives me the nostalgia diablo feel that I adore so much! Thank you!

Can't say about francesco's though, never tried. But I am quite happy with OOO + MOO + Oblivion XP + Balanced Magic.

I'm not a 100% on Balanced Magic yet. It's better than vanilla by far, but no "flashyness" as of yet. But I realize I'm still new and still have the noob spells.

Btw, do any of you know when is the earliest I can get access to a Spell making and an enchanting altar?

Thank you!

So, in Vanilla... just use google look for information in the uesp.net website. It pretty much comprehensive about the unmodded game.

If you like to mod, check this out Mages Guild Sells Its Services. It makes enchanting and spellmaking much more available.

About Oblivion XP, here is my .ini file (I removed comments and most lines I kept to default)

Set ObXPSettings.skillPointsPerLevel            to 120          ; 48
Set ObXPSettings.maximumSkillIncrease           to 6            ; 5
Set ObXPSettings.skillPointPreset               to 0            ; 1

Set ObXPSettings.multXPNeeded                   to 1.3          ; 1
Set ObXPSettings.multXPNeededBase               to 500          ; 1500
Set ObXPSettings.multXPNeededLinear             to 120          ; 150
Set ObXPSettings.multXPNeededQuadraticSlope     to 0.6          ; 1
Set ObXPSettings.multXPNeededQuadraticAmp       to 20000        ; 20000

Set ObXPSettings.capAttributes  to 200          ; 100
Set ObXPSettings.capLevel       to 50           ; 50
Set ObXPSettings.capSkills      to 200          ; 100

Set ObXPSettings.fatigueControlEnabled  to 0            ; 1
Set ObXPSettings.healthControlEnabled   to 0            ; 1
Set ObXPSettings.magickaControlEnabled  to 0            ; 1

As you can see I increase significantly skillPointsPerLevel, the idea is that to have the +5/+5/+5 in the original system you needed 30 increases and usually you'd increase some extra skills anyway. With 120 points you get 40 increases (fewer when skill become high), honestly maybe 120 is a bit too much probably 105 is perfect. I also put skillPointPreset to "Master of All" because I do not really want to think too much about the initial Skill selection, if I make a bad decision I simply want to increase a lower value not being hindered for the whole game.

Another important change is about how many XP you need, if you plot the graph with the new formula you'll see you can gain levels faster in the beginning. But it's slower at the end. The idea is that in the beginning it's so weak that it's not fun and vice versa at the end there is no challenge anymore. So I changed the curve to skip the "super weak" faster and reach the "god mode" slower.

The caps are increased to 200 because I use the Elys uncapper.

Fatigue, health, and magicka control are disabled because the Balanced Race and Realistic Health mods do it too and I like it more.

Edited by zdswulyx