Own a castle/fort

iZver

There is a place that seems to be almost INTENDED for just such a "rebuild". It's large enough to support all the desires of any "Builder" player, is in complete disrepair, but not in utter ruin. It's infested with Bandits, and noone else is using it. AND, if it would matter, could be directly tied in to the storyline as a "reward" for either completing the Rebellion (my preference) or Alduin + Rebellion story arcs....

This mythical magic place is..... well, the very place you nearly lost your head, Helgen.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In Fallout, I was a fan of Underground Hideout. It fit the lore, was compact, and had everything I needed. However, when it comes to Skyrim/Oblivion/Morrowind, I love me some castles! Specifically castles you can build from the ground up; the Rise of House Telvanni and the mod that improved the House Telvanni tower were probably my favorite Morrowind mods of all time. I'm really looking forward to a castle mod that lets you pick and choose how you want to build it, what features to add, etc. I'd REALLY enjoy one that has multiple different ways to put it together and you can choose the layout you like, or even the location you like. Maybe when you first start the mod you go out and scout for locations and choose the one you want, and then the layout of the castle you want. From there you can choose the features to add, like walls, towers, guards, etc.

Sounds like a great idea. After all, being a thane is basically equivelant to being a knight or baron in terms of social ranks, except we didn't have the 'european' society in Scandinavia at the time - but it would suit Skyrim.

It's not that you just get to buy a castle to live like a king over your own little hill, but that you'll actually have duties to your Jarl (which in-game has the status of a King), to protect your part of the border, collect taxes, oversee any productions (mines, lumbermills, farms) and keep up trade relationships with your neightbors. I'm not a modder myself, but by now it sounds rather complicated without even having a construction kit.

Another thing I've seen many people speak of is how little there is to do as, for example, a Vampire. How about ruling your own little vampiric keep and either fend off the Jarls and any intruders (I bet the Companions and those vigilants would just love to throw themselves into battle with your little population). Just an idea of how one could grab a bit more of a friendly foothold where you don't have to sneak into a house every now and again to avoid being bashed over your head on sight for being thirsty (Thinking a dungeon with fresh prisoners, like the Dawnstar Sanctuary, on whom you may feed - and throw NPC's you don't like!)

Either way, having a little keep or even a tower somewhere with a couple of guards and other NPC's to rule would be neat.

And be able to have attacks on the castle!!! Why recruit guards if there is no one to fight. Just like the in-game invasions you have to defend from. And if the invaders win, your castle is destroyed and you have to rebuild it all over again. That + your idea would make an EPIC... no, GODLY EPIC mod! Amirite?

that i totally bump :thumbsup:

Well, I think it should be directional also..not just "build bland town here"...

Like, if I am an evil bastard warrior, I might want to lead it towards being a outlaw type stronghold, Or my mage would go for a more university style twisty towers and such...aka, choose a path for the town as you build.

Also, a area near say Riverrun is bound to have a different texture and feel than something near Winterhold...so, location also needs to be considered.

Ultimately, this sounds like a mod that needs to be really considered and perhaps done by a team verses just some guy plopping vanilla meshes everywhere and calling it done...I love the idea of grow the ruins back to glory, but not if its just another useless small village that has no real affinity towards my personal character. If I am a shadow dwelling thief, I want a town that suits my personal tastes...dark corners, lots of close together buildings with awnings and such to crawl on...hard to really describe the point in detail, but I think you get the picture.

Put thoughts into the variations...and if you do that, then you can apply that pattern to several locations around skyrim (and other lands).

Finally, here is something to consider. When the kit comes out, you may consider using assets from oblivion (not in the mod, make the mod require oblivion to be loaded also...or at least the "advanced pack")..then you can get all sorts of interesting goodies that would make your building more remarkable than what can currently be done.

Good idea btw.

There is a place that seems to be almost INTENDED for just such a "rebuild". It's large enough to support all the desires of any "Builder" player, is in complete disrepair, but not in utter ruin. It's infested with Bandits, and noone else is using it. AND, if it would matter, could be directly tied in to the storyline as a "reward" for either completing the Rebellion (my preference) or Alduin + Rebellion story arcs....

This mythical magic place is..... well, the very place you nearly lost your head, Helgen.

I agree with this.

A thousand times over, I agree with this.

Helgen can be Skyrim's Kvatch. Modders made it possible to rebuild Kvatch in Oblivion; rebuilding Helgen would be just plain awesome.

Make it a reward for completing the civil war quest line, no matter which side you support. The Thalmor give it to you as thanks for helping suppress the rebellion, or Ulfric gives it to you as thanks for helping drive the Empire from their homeland. Either way, by the time you finish the quest line you're likely to have some decent money built up by that point; sink it into your new city, and watch it grow and prosper under your rule. Have some occasional variable events (using the Radiant Quest engine) where you're asked to seek out certain individuals (new characters, made for the purpose) to fill roles: blacksmiths, hunters, clothiers, someone to run the inn. Choose to allow a Khajiit trader to set up a shop in your city, or insist that they remain outside the walls like all other holds do. If you're affiliated with the Dark Brotherhood or the Thieves' Guild, choose whether to allow them access to your city. Maybe get someone from the College at Winterhold to run the library, or choose what denomination you want running the new temple. (And give the option for it to be a Temple of Talos if you sided with the Stormcloaks, of course.)

There is a boatload of potential in this idea. Rebuilding Helgen would be an excellent mod, if done right. I would love to see this.

Well, I think it should be directional also..not just "build bland town here"...

Like, if I am an evil bastard warrior, I might want to lead it towards being a outlaw type stronghold, Or my mage would go for a more university style twisty towers and such...aka, choose a path for the town as you build.

Also, a area near say Riverrun is bound to have a different texture and feel than something near Winterhold...so, location also needs to be considered.

Ultimately, this sounds like a mod that needs to be really considered and perhaps done by a team verses just some guy plopping vanilla meshes everywhere and calling it done...I love the idea of grow the ruins back to glory, but not if its just another useless small village that has no real affinity towards my personal character. If I am a shadow dwelling thief, I want a town that suits my personal tastes...dark corners, lots of close together buildings with awnings and such to crawl on...hard to really describe the point in detail, but I think you get the picture.

Put thoughts into the variations...and if you do that, then you can apply that pattern to several locations around skyrim (and other lands).

Finally, here is something to consider. When the kit comes out, you may consider using assets from oblivion (not in the mod, make the mod require oblivion to be loaded also...or at least the "advanced pack")..then you can get all sorts of interesting goodies that would make your building more remarkable than what can currently be done.

Good idea btw.

I'd love to see something like this implemented.

Imagining a sim-city type gameplay with Imperials and Stormcloaks is all well and good, but it should hardly stop there. Thinking back at Real Time Settler from Fallout 3 and Wasteland Defense from Fallout: New Vegas, they'd give the option to fight and hire many others.

To protect a stronghold infested by the Falmer, to lead over the powerful Dwarven creations, to command the powerful Forsworn or even recruit Daedric Warriors would be the best from a mod like this.

The possibilities are endless. I really hope some devoted modding team attempts this.

Although custom models I believe would be asking for too much. There are plenty of models in-game that could be used for a fort, and it wouldn't look especially out-of-place.