Using Script Merger

I am not a professional programmer thus find the info associated with this app somewhat confusing. It appears to be necessary for adding mods to Witcher 3 but using it is not explained in common English, it makes assumptions that do not apply to everyone.

It is dependent on three third party apps to work. Okay, fine, so I downloaded them and unzipped them to the default locations they wanted. When I start Script Merger it looks in a folder called Tools and can't find them, That is understandable because the folder does not exist.

That is cool because I can create the folder and unzip all the files to that folder again. Where does it go? Is it in the root menu, under user or somewhere else?

Is there a description somewhere in simple English how to use these four programs? Does Script Merger do that automatically or do they need to be run individually? Where do the mod zip files need to be saved?

I have downloaded dozens of mods to Fallout 4 and that was easy. Witcher 3 was obviously not designed to be modded. I have added a few simple mods to Witcher but am starting to run into conflicts now.

If there is a help file written in nonprogammer English. please point me to it. Thanks.

Is there a description somewhere in simple English how to use these four programs?

I will write a step by step guide below, with pictures to help you along the way.

Does Script Merger do that automatically or do they need to be run individually?

Script merger will use the programs automatically, with the exception being conflicts that it cannot fix itself. In my guide below, I have included what will happen in such cases, and what to do.

Where do the mod zip files need to be saved?

I highly suggest installing all mods with Nexus Mod Manager [running as admin], and then using Script Merger once all the mods are installed.

If you prefer to do it manually, navigate to your Witcher 3 folder. Mine, for example, is:

C:\GOG Games\The Witcher 3 Wild Hunt

create a folder named "Mods" (without the " ").

Open the zip files and extract them to this folder.

Putting the ZIP files themselves will not work. You must extract the zip to this location.

This image shows the location of my Mods folder, and its contents to help explain more easily.

---------------------------------------------------

How To Set Up Script Merger

First, be sure to download the latest version from here and that it is the first of the download choices [Witcher Script Merger v0.6.2].

For simplicity, create a new folder on your Desktop (I named mine Merger).

Extract all of the files from the ZIP into the folder you have created. It should look like this:

image.png

Next, run WitcherScriptMerger.exe

Click the three dots at the top right of the program and navigate to the Witcher 3 Wild Hunt folder, then click Ok. The location of this folder may vary. If you are not sure where it is, skip this picture to the next.

image.png

If you dont know the location of your game, right click on the games icon on your desktop and select "Open File Location".

Click on "Witcher 3 Wild Hunt" in the taskbar.

Click behind the text in the bar, and copy whats there.

Paste this into Script Merger.

image.png

-------------------------------------------

How To Use Script Merger

Now that we're all set up, time to merge the scripts!

You should see a list of conflicts.

Select the tick box by 'Scripts' to select everything.

Click on the button "Create [x] Selected Merges".

image.png

If everything goes perfect, you should get a popup that shows 0 unsolved conflicts.

click "OK", a new window will appear, then click "Continue".

image.png

image.png

Repeat many times. In a perfect world, you are finished here.

But sometimes, you'll see a giant mess like this:

image.png

Dont panic! I know it looks scary!

First, click OK to close the popup.

This can seem confusing, so please try to bear with me.

1. Click on the yellow bar that says <Merge Conflict>. Text will fill the boxes above.

2. If only one of the boxes has actual text in that area, this will be the box we choose.

2b. If all boxes have text that look bascially the same, I always default to box A.

3. Select the letter for the chosen box.

image.png

Continue this process until the bottom of the screen says "Number of remaining unsolved conflicts: 0"

image.png

Click FILE > SAVE and close the window.

The window should close and a new one appears.

image.png

Click on Continue.

Repeat as needed.

When finished, Script Merger will look like this.

[[Picture is in this link because I hit the post image limit]]

You should be able to safely close Script Merger and play the game with no further issues.

Edited by Mistermew

• 5 months later...

Is there a description somewhere in simple English how to use these four programs?

I will write a step by step guide below, with pictures to help you along the way.

Â

Does Script Merger do that automatically or do they need to be run individually?

Script merger will use the programs automatically, with the exception being conflicts that it cannot fix itself. Â In my guide below, I have included what will happen in such cases, and what to do.

Â

Where do the mod zip files need to be saved?

I highly suggest installing all mods with Nexus Mod Manager [running as admin], and then using Script Merger once all the mods are installed.

Â

If you prefer to do it manually, navigate to your Witcher 3 folder. Â Mine, for example, is:

C:\GOG Games\The Witcher 3 Wild Hunt

Â

create a folder named "Mods" (without the " ").

Open the zip files and extract them to this folder.

Putting the ZIP files themselves will not work. Â You must extract the zip to this location.

This image shows the location of my Mods folder, and its contents to help explain more easily.

---------------------------------------------------

Â

Â

Â

How To Set Up Script Merger

Â

First, be sure to download the latest version from here and that it is the first of the download choices [Witcher Script Merger v0.6.2].

Â

Â

For simplicity, create a new folder on your Desktop (I named mine Merger).

Â

Extract all of the files from the ZIP into the folder you have created. Â It should look like this:

image.png

Â

Â

Next, run WitcherScriptMerger.exe

Â

Click the three dots at the top right of the program and navigate to the Witcher 3 Wild Hunt folder, then click Ok.  The location of this folder may vary.  If you are not sure where it is, skip this picture to the next.

Â

image.png

Â

Â

If you dont know the location of your game, right click on the games icon on your desktop and select "Open File Location".

Click on "Witcher 3 Wild Hunt" in the taskbar.

Click behind the text in the bar, and copy whats there.

Paste this into Script Merger.

Â

image.png

Â

Â

-------------------------------------------

How To Use Script Merger

Â

Â

Now that we're all set up, time to merge the scripts!

Â

You should see a list of conflicts.

Select the tick box by 'Scripts' to select everything.

Click on the button "Create [x] Selected Merges".

Â

image.png

Â

Â

If everything goes perfect, you should get a popup that shows 0 unsolved conflicts.

click "OK", a new window will appear, then click "Continue".

Â

image.png

image.png

Â

Repeat many times. Â In a perfect world, you are finished here.

Â

Â

Â

Â

But sometimes, you'll see a giant mess like this:

Â

image.png

Â

Â

Dont panic! Â I know it looks scary!

First, click OK to close the popup.

Â

This can seem confusing, so please try to bear with me.

1. Â Click on the yellow bar that says <Merge Conflict>. Â Text will fill the boxes above.

2. Â If only one of the boxes has actual text in that area, this will be the box we choose.

2b. Â If all boxes have text that look bascially the same, I always default to box A.

3. Â Select the letter for the chosen box.

Â

image.png

Â

Â

Continue this process until the bottom of the screen says "Number of remaining unsolved conflicts: 0"

Â

image.png

Â

Click FILE > SAVE and close the window.

The window should close and a new one appears.

Â

image.png

Â

Click on Continue.

Â

Â

Â

Â

Â

Repeat as needed.

When finished, Script Merger will look like this.

Â

[[Picture is in this link because I hit the post image limit]]

Â

You should be able to safely close Script Merger and play the game with no further issues.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there!

I have a problem I cant solve myself. I run THW 1.31 as GOTY-Bundle from Steam.

I downloaded the WitcherScriptMerger and when I open it, there are no tix-boxes. So theres nothing I can do but close it again. Is my directory wrong? Am I missing something else? I have screenshots of it but am not allowed to upload them here.

I have 9 mods running and everythings working, but GrimLighting seems to be the problem, when I uninstall it everythings fine!

When I click the launch-button in NMM the red-engine-thingy pops up and starts working. Then this shows up:

Error [modgrimlighting]game\player\playerwitcher.ws(1477): Cannot override function 'IsEquippedSwordUpgradedWithOil' declared 'final' in class 'CR4Player'.

Warning [content0]engine\environment.ws(30): Global native function 'EnableDebugOverlayFilter' was not exported from C++ code.
Warning [content0]engine\environment.ws(32): Global native function 'EnableDebugPostProcess' was not exported from C++ code.
Warning [content0]engine\showflags.ws(11): Global native function 'DebugSetEShowFlag' was not exported from C++ code.

When I click 'Retry...' this comes up:

Error [modgrimlighting]game\player\playerwitcher.ws(1477): Cannot override function 'IsEquippedSwordUpgradedWithOil' declared 'final' in class 'CR4Player'.

Thats it. All thats left for me to do afterwards is hit 'Exit Application' and uninstall GrimLighting.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks for help or ideas!

S.

I'm a little bit late to the party but I've been trying to fiddle with Script Merger during my free time for the past week now. @MisterMew, I've done essentially everything in your little guide and it's been hitting me with either new or different error codes each time I try to launch the game.

I'll post the error codes below.

Error [content0]game\replacers\ciri.ws(329): Function 'GetCriticalHitChance' takes 5 parameter(s) which is inconsistent with base function (3).
Error [content0]game\player\playerwitcher.ws(1752): Function 'ApplyOil' has different return type 'Bool' than base function (void).
Error [content0]game\player\playerwitcher.ws(2157): Function 'GetCriticalHitChance' takes 5 parameter(s) which is inconsistent with base function (3).

Warning [modzoomoutlhud]game\commonmapmanager.ws(94): Native function 'IsQuestType' was not exported from class 'CCommonMapManager' in C++ code.
Warning [modzoomoutlhud]game\commonmapmanager.ws(119): Native function 'GetUserMapPin' was not exported from class 'CCommonMapManager' in C++ code.
Warning [modzoomoutlhud]game\commonmapmanager.ws(126): Native function 'SetPinFilterVisible' was not exported from class 'CCommonMapManager' in C++ code.
Warning [modzoomoutlhud]game\commonmapmanager.ws(127): Native function 'GetPinFilterVisible' was not exported from class 'CCommonMapManager' in C++ code.
Warning [content0]engine\environment.ws(30): Global native function 'EnableDebugOverlayFilter' was not exported from C++ code.
Warning [content0]engine\environment.ws(32): Global native function 'EnableDebugPostProcess' was not exported from C++ code.
Warning [content0]engine\showflags.ws(11): Global native function 'DebugSetEShowFlag' was not exported from C++ code.

• 2 weeks later...