Can skyrim even be modded in 2016?

ajudgetocrush

Hello everyone. Ive been having issues modding skyrim for the last quarter year or so. Im primarily looking for a good link to a recent guide to mod. I used to use a guide that was hosted on the nexus site that was perfect and worked great but it is now gone and the link that is there now to the STEP guide is FAR too long, confusing, and unclear as to what you actually need to do. There is far to much extra text, tips, and deviations for me (and in my opinion most average people), that you cannot distinguish what is necessary and what is something that you MAY need down the road for a mod that you MIGHT install sometime. Maybe.

So I have been using a popular guide on reddit for the last few months (https://www.reddit.com/r/skyrimmods/wiki/beginners_guide) but despite several attempts and multiple readings I cannot get a game to work for more than a few hours. the save will eventually start CTDing randomly with increasing frequency until the save will no longer even load. So can anybody point me to a guide that is known to work?

Also:

I put together a very good game of modded skyrim over a year ago and for the last three months it seems that skyrim is not moddable at the scale it used to be. I used to have over 200 mods working flawlessly but recently I havent been able to put together a game that can hold more a few mods without become totally broken after a few hours of gameplay.

The new USLEEP patch seems to not be supported by mods I deem essential, most notably realistic needs and diseases. Other mods, such as frostfall seem to be being redone in parts so that certain features are missing in the newest update (3.x.x), like how the WEAR system that managed exposure with your armor seems to be gone. But if I want to use the old version (2.x.x) then USLEEP and many other mods that have been updated recently are not compatible.

So what im asking is this: is skyrim even worth modding right now because of the problems ive pointed out? Is skyrim modding in some weird limbo where many popular mods and tools are too different in their update schedules that a heavily modded game with overhauls such as perkus maximus will not work? Are the guides im using out of date? Do i have to suck it up and try to figure out the entire STEP process? Am i just getting unlucky and should try again with the reddit guide?

I know modding takes a lot of time, careful reading, and dedication, but I have a hard time committing to something that I believe I am doing correctly and still mess up after dozens of hours of work.

Please let me know, I dont think i have the heart to put in more dozens of hours just to get to the end and find it didnt work. Skyrim is one of my favorite games of all time and since i have started playing modded games i cannot go back to vanilla. It would be a shame to have to wait till TES6 before i play again. Thanks for any replies.

You more than likely arent following directions.

The STEP core guide 2.2.9.2 is pretty simple to follow. The SRLE skyrim revisited guide is confusing to the unseasoned modder for sure.

The guide you linked should be pretty simple to follow.

Basically do this. Completely delete everything skyrim related. reinstall

Make sure steam is installed OUTSIDE program files folders. If you only have one drive install to the c:drive but OUTSIDE program files.

Launch skyrim. Launch a new game and wait for the skyrim logo to fade then open the menu and turn off auto save and turn on subtitles.

Doing this will generate all needed INI files. No simply running launcher isnt enough.

Download and install all needed tools. MO, TES5Edit, Wrye Bash, LOOT, SKSE, etc

for directions on how to install these follow gamer poets or dirty weasels videos on YouTube.

Most tools should be installed to the skyrim directory.

From there configure MO, Clean masters, setup executables, install ENBoost, optimize textures.....start modding.

definitely possible to run mods in 2016. in fact, it's even easier. Problem is, which of the popular mods are obsolete (but most endorsed) and which underrated mods out there are worth checking out?

For myself, modding is easy because i don't go for any HD, 2k or 4k graphics, zero ENBs, and as little overhauls as possible. I have decided to avoid follower mods, quest mods, new locations/buildings mods, and generally stick to the one that merely improve the player character experience in a close to vanilla skyrim world as possible.

If you can focus on a definite goal you're doing great. I have about 150 active mods; i use mod organizer; I attack any bug ruthlessly and change/drop mods that bring up problems for me.

It's taken me about 3 weeks of heavy modding skyrim since reinstalling on a new harddrive, and i'm finally playing the game more than modding. lol

As for STEP? i don't think i've ever used it. I stick to youtube tutorials about the very basic stuff needed by everything (i prefer gamerpoets over Gopher)

Edited by MajorFreak