Custom Sniper SFX does not play when firing

E3245

TT, have you checked "EvacAll" against the VIP-Extraction mission(s) since SG updates.. cuz, there's been reports the ending script is being screwed up like Bradford stating the VIP is dead but it isn't.

Sorry for posting this here then -- it's just that when i see that "TT-Avatar symbol" i always feel like it's a rare opportunity to mention anything while you have recently contributed to any threads.

Anyhow.. looks like you took care of it by updating EvacAll ealier this evening.

Back on sound topic, another thing to check is that the SoundCue is part of the correct "Sound Class". This is shown underneath the SoundCue, and can be changed by right-clicking on the SoundCue in the Content Browser, and selecting : Sound Classes / Sound FX. Grouping new weapon sounds into Sound FX class allows their volume to be controlled properly by the Audio Sound Effect Volume slider.

Back on sound topic, another thing to check is that the SoundCue is part of the correct "Sound Class". This is shown underneath the SoundCue, and can be changed by right-clicking on the SoundCue in the Content Browser, and selecting : Sound Classes / Sound FX. Grouping new weapon sounds into Sound FX class allows their volume to be controlled properly by the Audio Sound Effect Volume slider.

I've already done that and it still does the same thing. I'm not sure what else to try, since we've gone through every possible solution without success.

I guess my checklist would be something like this :

1) Does the SoundWaveNode play in UnrealEd ?

2) Does the SoundCue play in UnrealEd ?

3) Does the sound play when playing animation in UnrealEd?

4) With graphics settings at min (for max framerate), does sound play in game ?

5) Raise graphics settings, use \slomo 1.x command to stress game until sound no longer plays

#5 is to give an idea of how much margin there is, so that people with slower systems won't get missing sounds.

And now that the laser pack is out I can say we had exactly this problem with the SFX on the cannon and sniper rifle and fixed it by lengthening the fire animations on those weapons. Originally they were very short - like 1 or 2 frames if you're at 30fps, so they'd often get dropped if the framerate dipped.

And now that the laser pack is out I can say we had exactly this problem with the SFX on the cannon and sniper rifle and fixed it by lengthening the fire animations on those weapons. Originally they were very short - like 1 or 2 frames if you're at 30fps, so they'd often get dropped if the framerate dipped.

The time on the Sniper Firing Animation for the weapon is .44 seconds, I think. would extending it to .60 work?

EDIT: Actually it's way less than that: .033 seconds. The Assault rifle FF_Fire animation is about .01 seconds.

LWS Laser Sniper animation is .08 seconds. I might export the FF_FireA animation of the default sniper and extend it.

Edited by E3245

.44s is fairly long, I think that should be fine. You might want to grab the laser upks and see if there are any differences in how yours are set up, and run through the checklist Amineri provided if you haven't already.

Opening the laser packages in the editor needs to be done in a funny order due to dependencies. Open the attachments first, and cannon also depends on sniper rifle but other weapons only depend on attachments iirc.

EDIT: Actually it's way less than that: .033 seconds. The Assault rifle FF_Fire animation is about .01 seconds.

LWS Laser Sniper animation is .08 seconds. I might export the FF_FireA animation of the default sniper and extend it.

The assumed framerate is 30 FPS, so 0.033 seconds is basically the length of one frame. So if/when framerate drops below 30, that sounds can get skipped over ... a bit of weirdness from Unreal Engine.

During our initial testing we were either running with low graphics settings or on beefy machines, so it didn't get caught until QA was testing it. We ended up exporting and extending/re-importing the animations out to 0.08 seconds, which is good to 12.5 FPS. Below that the game is pretty unplayable anyhow, and we figure that not playing sounds is the least of concerns.