Fallout 4 weird lighting bug on guns

gmoneywalker

So I've got this weird glitch that just cropped up yesterday, originally I thought it was solely a mod issue but it's turned out that that can't really be the case since it's cropped up on other saves with the mod disabled. When I face West, and it seems like only West, sunlight is cast onto the bottom half of my gun as if a light source is appearing right behind me. This happens indoors, outdoors, or when I'm completely enshrouded in shadow with no light sources nearby.

I am at a complete loss here. I've reinstalled, verified the integrity of my cache, started new games, tweaked my ini, deleted and got a new ini, checked my drivers. I don't know what to do and I'm tearing my hair out trying to get this fixed because it's INCREDIBLY distracting.

Anybody had a similar issue? I'd pay for a solution at this point.

Okay, so it appears that my weapons, when extending past a certain distance, simply stop getting shadows cast on them past a certain length when facing West. I tried to extend shadow distance and quality in the options but neither of those fixed it. Still at a complete loss, and still really distracted by the result.

• 2 months later...

I started getting it a few days after the last update. I just rolled back the update and I no longer have the issue. I also no longer have broken quests. Thanks to the creators of the FO4 rollback patch.

• 1 month later...

A bit of a necro here, but this is pretty much the only thread/topic I find on Google.

At this point a 'rollback' isn't much of an option, but I'm getting the same issue. There is a light on my character's weapon, the muzzle and the scope to be exact, when I'm facing southwest-ish. Doesn't matter if I'm inside a building, covered by shadows, the shadows just seem to vanish and there is a glow there exactly like the OP's video only with the scope getting light as well.

Have you got a mod that potentially changes the texture or material of the weapon? Some mods change the textures of things in a way that affects the metallic texture of the guns, which can make weird lighting problems. I can't recall a mod that has a description of this problem but I read it a few times before.

I have one or two weapon skins, but this happens with all weapons even ones that are not retextured and I don't have any 'replace all' type textures for them. It's really strange. When I'm facing that specific direction there is a light showing. It's only in first person though, if I swap to third person I'm shadowed correctly, even if I hold shift and manually look around.

Here you can see me in the same exact position in first and third person. There is the light shining through the darkness and onto my scope/silencer in first person but the shadows are full in third person. Sometimes it's a lot worse and the light is quite bright. This even happens indoors, which is really strange.

• 1 month later...