Hello! I've been around the nexus for a few years at most but I never posted on the forums until now. Mainly because I'm having some serious issues that are slowly driving me insane both with my laptop and game.

First things first: I play Skyrim on a separate PC, which in itself isn't very good because it has a shitty processor for gaming and the whole shebang is to be desired. It was bought on false info and now I'm left with a PC that can only run Skyrim on 20 fps at most. I have a few mods installed like the system booster mod to get the performance up, and that helps, but most of the time I'm at the edge of my seat for crashing. I currently run about 30-40 mods, most of them small and not performance-heavy. And for the most part with all of the above, the game is playable with reasonable graphics and lighting and I'm happy with it until I can save up and get myself something better (better graphics card / processor, or just build my own).

Okay, now that THAT'S out of the way, here's where it all started: I got the CBBE body mod, because hell yes, and after a bit of time playing the game and seeing how many mods it'll take before the game can't load (I'm greedy), I start to notice that the CBBE body on my Khajiit character has turned a pink-purple. I tried everything to fix it and nothing worked, even when I removed the CBBE body and replaced it with another body mod. I soon discovered that, like my khajiit, my separate character on another game file (male Argonian) has a missing body as well in the same areas as my Khajiit, and it's white as if the color was removed and left as one of those paint-your-own figurine toys. I have no body mods installed for my male character except a texture, so this confused me. So, after a while of fiddling with Skyrim and my mods, I come across a post made on another forum about how the glitches might have to do with my system not supporting the required graphics or whatever. I'm not too tech savvy in this regard so I'm sorry if I'm vague. I'm still wrapping my head around it, too.

So one suggestion was to update the driver (AMD Driver, in this case; I have a AMD E1-2100 with Radeon , 1.00 Ghz; you don't need to tell me, because I know), and so I did that on the AMD driver website. It detected that I need this raedon crimson driver or something, and when I tried installing it, my screen would flicker and then it would turn black after getting half-way installed. Because it froze I rebooted my PC only to find that I can only access my files if I went into safe mode. After a lot of time spent wanting to stab my computer, I managed to get the partly-installed files to be removed. I was able to boot my computer and log into the account now that the pesky driver is gone.

Now here's the thing that's bugging me. Now that everything was in working order again, I noticed something really weird. I tried to turn Skyrim back on again, because at this point I didn't care if my characters had missing color textures because all I wanted were my babies back, and the lag was atrocious. Like, it was not even 3 fps and loading the Bethesda title was too difficult. Turns out that the graphics card that the game defaulted at was this really horrible Microsoft Basic Render Driver. There was no other option in the drop down bar either, it was just this shitty replacement. It could load the game up and the graphics would be good, but the lag made it impossible to play or even load my game saves. Even when I turned everything all the way down, the game would still lag at 3 fps.

I've gone everywhere to get it to recognize my graphics card with no success, but is it possible that along with deleting the driver that caused all the problems it could have removed everything? I mean, my computer recognizes that the AMD E1-2100 with Radeon , 1.00 Ghz was under Processors, but it just wasn't in the Display Adapter in Device Manager. There was only my worst enemy, the Microsoft Basic Render Driver.

God, I know this is a tl;dr post but I am literally about to scream. I know it's just a game but the shitty HP 15 laptop with Windows 8.1 is the only thing I have to play Skyrim on since the main Mac I use can't support it. It is so much better than anything on the console because you have the creative motive and ability to change it to your liking, and it's worth every lag in 20-30 fps. Other than say, idk, build my own, is there anything that sounds familiar here that can get it working the way I need to? :)

Thanks for reading!

Well... that's problematic situation.

you should install graphics card driver. While installation is in process, do not touch it until it is completed. It may freezes a little bit depending on your pc

After that, make your skyrim recognize the graphics card.

After that, use a cbbe texture for your khajiit/argonian character and place it into appropriate game folder. As far as i know CBBE is for female characters only. Some races have their own textures for cbbe.

Of course, there is always another way to play skyrim again. Buy a powerful PC and install skyrim and your mods again.

Well... that's problematic situation.

you should install graphics card driver. While installation is in process, do not touch it until it is completed. It may freezes a little bit depending on your pc

After that, make your skyrim recognize the graphics card.

After that, use a cbbe texture for your khajiit/argonian character and place it into appropriate game folder. As far as i know CBBE is for female characters only. Some races have their own textures for cbbe.

Of course, there is always another way to play skyrim again. Buy a powerful PC and install skyrim and your mods again.

What do you mean install "graphic's card driver"? When I tried to do that, the installation process made my screen turn black and I couldn't get back in at all. Turning off my computer didn't help, because when I tried to reboot the login screen didn't appear and there was just a black screen. I couldn't get in unless I went into safe mode. Is there some other graphics driver that you mean because I'm a little confused.

I installed the body mods with NMM and it didn't have a problem before. It actually worked okay and I could see the color and body format. Then after I installed other mods, like the static mesh improvement, it suddenly turned pink/purple. So I don't think it's a folder issue, because everything was fine before then. However, even when I got rid of the Static Mesh Improvement mod, the pink body stayed.

I did find this page though so maybe I can give it a try? https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-suite/kb/update-graphics-driver-windows-7.html#main_Download_and_run_a_driver_installer

Edited by vmdraco

Okay, a bit of an update:

I went to https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-suite/kb/update-graphics-driver-windows-7.html#main_Download_and_run_a_driver_installer to follow instructions there, and I managed to get the AMD driver that came with my computer, so it's basically a 2013/2014 driver that is my today's standard outdated. BUT my computer was lacking that and when I got into the Skyrim options the AMD card was the option shown! So I think I got it working again. Once the driver is done installing I'll see if Skyrim can boot up again without a major fps drop. repusDude, thanks man. I mean, you were vague but it made me look up "graphics card driver" so for that I owe you one! This is farthest I ever got getting my Skyrim back! :smile: I hope I don't jinx this lol

UPDATE: Skyrim works again without lag! :) Still have the pink and white bodies but I don't give a s#*!, it's working! :) Yay!

Edited by vmdraco