Boycott Beth.net

Mitigate

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 327
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In what reality does anyone think that it's a good idea to "go to war" (my words) with the company that makes the game? Bethesda have proved, in the past, (accidentaly or on purpose) that if they want to block mods they can do so.

I think it is because of the misconception that modders save games and free political prisoners. Let me put the relationship between mods and the game into a metaphore:

Bethesda creates a marble statue of supreme detail and spends years of work on it. Then some modder climbs on top of it and puts a folded paper hat on it and claims he fixed the game. This then snowballs into the public opinion that game developers only code "hello world" applications and modders are supposedly doing all the hard work saving the company and keeping the game alive.

A game is only kept alive by the built-in replay value. And mods simply attach themselves to the tail of it. 99% of a game is made by the developers. Mods are recycling content mostly and provide welcome additions to it. But they can only do so because the base game was built to allow it. So all the Bethesda haters should say thank you for Fallout 4. Because it is the most replayable and dynamic Bethesda game to date.

*Gives TimeLadyKatie a big hugs*

last point on value of embracing modding is sooooooooo on-point and its truly stunning few have dipped toes in these waters. Steamworks has brought more along but Bethesda needs to fully embrace modding even more to build on its competitive advantage! ... the step to updgrading the Skyrim engine is a great first step!

I've come to see the modding community as serving two very important roles. First, that of improving what is already great. I almost exclusively play Bethesda games (I said almost :P) because of their modability. The community has done an excellent job in picking up the "slack" that Bethesda left, for perfectly legitimate business reasons (product applicability is a thing). The community makes great bug patches, texture overhauls (literal upscales and improvements), adding new story content (think of Skyrim new lands content), and combining existing elements in ways the developers didn't think of to create new and interesting ways of playing. None of this could exist without Bethesda's hard work in making the game itself but the community has stepped in and improved upon this in ways which I feel are nearly equal in value to the gamer. Hell I have mods installed which allow me to skip 99% of Bethesda's story because I just want to fiddle around in the sandbox and as "rails free" as open world RPGs like FO4 are nowadays there is always a little more control over the player experience they can lose, and the community makes that possible.

However the second role I see the community playing is providing content that Bethesda, and other companies, might find questionable or unreasonable. It isn't in a companies interest to produce 4k textures for everything because they're appealing to the average market hardware (which unless I'm very out of touch isn't average) but there is someone who wants that. Perfectly understandable decision that Bethesda made, rectified by the community. I am not a fan of the, lets say artistic limits, that gaming companies feel are important to meet ratings standards and so I love sites like LoversLab which host mods many people find questionable or offensive...because I want to decide what is reasonable and unreasonable in that sense for me and tailor my experience accordingly.

Lastly, I will agree that if Bethesda was a smart multi-million dollar company (last I checked this applied) they would be seriously looking at monetizing the mod scene, they would be intellectually stunted not to see the earnings potential and want to exploit it. The "business" of video games being what it is, this is probably something you'll see in the not to distant future (IMO thanks in large part to console gamers getting mods [i'm not a fan of that]) however there will also ALWAYS be sites like Nexus and LoversLab who will offer alternatives and will prevent access from being wholly restricted. Like many things it will be a compromise of balance, and whether it is reached by design or accident I feel confidant I'll always be able to find the mods I want and acquire them.

• 3 years later...

My Theory: Mitigate either is ddproductions83, or if not (which is a 100% Possibility of not being him), he is one of his loyal brainwashed Anti-Console Acolytes, who wishes console mods would be eradicated just for being inferior. Which goes far beyond "Bethesda.net." Call me crazy on the first one as I did put any thought into the first.

I dunno if anyone has mentioned this, but i came to both upon Mitigate saying,

"As PC gamers, we shouldn't have the slightest care about the console scene and whether or not they have access to mods. They're not our problem. So I don't see why bethesda.net is a good thing. Perhaps you could enlighten me and reassure me that the Nexus wont be further affected, that paid mods wont rear their head again, that bethesda.net wont one day be compulsory and that those of us who enjoy anarchy, that is, those who enjoy things being run independently and without interference, wont be forced to conform or stop playing?"

We shouldn't the slightest care about console modding Mitigate? You are one biased person. No one is making us conform to anything on Bethnet. But you will in the future Mitigate should you usurp power in the industry. We should be Equal, not what you are proposing.

Edited by VKR1917

My Theory: Mitigate either is ddproductions83, or if not (which is a 100% Possibility of not being him), he is one of his loyal brainwashed Anti-Console Acolytes, who wishes console mods would be eradicated just for being inferior. Which goes far beyond "Bethesda.net." Call me crazy on the first one as I did put any thought into the first.

I dunno if anyone has mentioned this, but i came to both upon Mitigate saying,

"As PC gamers, we shouldn't have the slightest care about the console scene and whether or not they have access to mods. They're not our problem. So I don't see why bethesda.net is a good thing. Perhaps you could enlighten me and reassure me that the Nexus wont be further affected, that paid mods wont rear their head again, that bethesda.net wont one day be compulsory and that those of us who enjoy anarchy, that is, those who enjoy things being run independently and without interference, wont be forced to conform or stop playing?"

We shouldn't the slightest care about console modding Mitigate? You are one biased person. No one is making us conform to anything on Bethnet. But you will in the future Mitigate should you usurp power in the industry. We should be Equal, not what you are proposing.

Dude, you're almost four years late to the party. This thread ran its course and died in 2016. No need to necro it.

• 1 month later...

Bethesda is only interested in the bottom line. If they could shut down the nexus and take a cut of all the mods they would and will. Corporations have no heart or soul they are only out to make as much money as possible. Simples.