Lights and conduits/switches mess up, guidance needed

Khtugg

Hi all,

I enjoy Fallout 4's workshop mode greatly, but I have not got the Electro-Priest's know-wotz when it comes to setting up electricity in my houses. In my current game I have a 3 story house that regulary causes me annoyance. Every time I think I got lights and electrical devices on a single floor to react to only that floor's switches I put out a sigh of relief. Then I add more electrical bits and after the next mission or so one floor's switch turn on the lights on another. The light bulb on mid floor allways shine even when all switches in da house are turned off. Stop annoying me, game!!!

So, I got question for you: anyone know of a guide to setting up electricity, perhaps with recommended ways of approach(like, you start on bot floor going in from the outer walls, anything really)? Got any tips and tricks for fooling game logic into dancing to my tune? Please share!

Currently power comes into the house through a window on mid floor to a conduit, and through more conduits, are pathed to ground floor(via the wooden floor tile with an opening innit) and to top floor through a stair case. Lastly added hardware was a windmill generator on the roof, conduits and wired wall spotlights. If you need more to go on ask: perhaps I can provide!

Thanks for reading.

All the tutorials on the internet still wouldn't help with the wonkiness that effects the building system. Some of my settlements are rather large and I'm starting to notice things stop working quite often when I'm trying to do something. Lights stop working even though they're still connected, ceiling fan animations stop, water supply drops even though they are still connected and not broken are to name a few. The latest problem I've been having is my fusion generators aren't staying connected to the power grid even though they are still connected and the supply number is still there. The worst of all of them is the AI for the settlers stop working and they all just stand around because they can't go anywhere or do anything.

Even if you set up the electricity exactly as you are supposed to, it's still not guaranteed to work correctly. Mods might have some effect on this but I'm thinking the game itself might be the bigger problem.

I think he's referring to this mod: http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/3429/?

Edit: Re-reading Gadget's post, it's not the same mod. Sorry.

That is the one I am talking about but I didn't download that mod or any other power related mod. I think it was included in Wasteland Workshop or Contraptions. In my setup it is in SKE>Power>Generators.

• 2 months later...

All I know is the base game power conduits will radiate power in a radius around them, the cables themselves serve to link them to a generator for them to radiate. The DLC conduits are the metal ones will need a conduit to link the existing power system to the DLC conduit system. The DLC power conduit will share a power link to all the snapped DLC power conduits, but will need a "power radiator" item to radiate power to lamps and passive power usage items.

What I think is if you build floors, the radiating energy conduits will pass through the floors/walls and power stuff in higher floors for example as only a radius is used for connection calculations. It makes using switches for rooms in a building kinda hard to do properly if you cram multiple radiating conduits in a tight space.

To my knowledge, the switches are used to power on/off equipment that has a direct "conduit-like" power connection via a cable.

In another note, I don't think you could fix that easily in the CK, it seems to be impossible to make working power links in settlements via the CK. The power links in the power grid are probably governed by the WorkshopParentScript on some event and updated at runtime. I am not a good enough scripter to dabble in this very central and long script, even the UFO4P had problems editing it...

What I think is if you build floors, the radiating energy conduits will pass through the floors/walls and power stuff in higher floors for example as only a radius is used for connection calculations. It makes using switches for rooms in a building kinda hard to do properly if you cram multiple radiating conduits in a tight space.

In my experience, that statement above is true. The radiator works like a sphere rather than a disc. I've placed radiators on a floor and lights placed on other floors also light up so long as they are within proximity.