Liberate Haafingar quest bugged.

Beriallord

I finished the fort, and go back and talk to the guy he gives me another quest to talk to alfred stormcloak, but the liberate haafinger quest is still there and the icon is still above the guys head. I am having no luck at all trying to figure out how to force complete this with console commands. Is there a fix for this? I just need to know the quest ID and I can't find it anywhere.

Any solutions for this? This is a pretty important quest line, enough to be considered game breaking. I went to Solitude and attacked but the siege never ends, and the city remains burning, etc. Fast traveled away and waited a week and came back and the city is still on fire and no NPCs standing around. Solitude is basically broken.

On another note, I was always easily able to find quest IDs for both Oblivion, FA3, and FA:NV so I could force complete/reset broken quests, but it seems near impossible to do that in Skyrim, its much more complex.

Has anyone had any success in resetting a specific quest?

Edited by Beriallord

Has anyone had any success in resetting a specific quest?

Yes, but is not a good solution, I don't recall why, but if you complete the quest in that way, it has side effects on the next one, because now is a guessing game to do that (for the moment).

Is game breaking for me too.

Regards.

Skyrim is very bugged out, but the more I think about it the more it seems to be a problem with the save system. Even though you still might have the problem eventually on a different game, the save system tracks every little thing that you do. Therefore, if you do something that doesn't agree with the quest and it gets saved, it's perpetually stuck that way in the game because the save overwrites the precedent set by the main game (otherwise, there would be no ability to save, correct?).

What I am getting at is - there's nothing you can do until the save system gets altered a little bit. Instead of saving character progress like in Fallout 3, it saves GAME progress. They had a great idea, but it's really messing things up.

Whats the actual name of the quest? I presume liberate haafingar is one of the objectives because I can't find any quest titled that. also what's the name of the questgivers?

If you want to try fixing this yourself, try sqt. It will display a list of all your currently active quests and their ID's. Try to eliminate all quests that can't be the haalfingar quest and with the rest of them try 'movetoqt ID_HERE'. Save before you do the movetoqt because this might break any other questlines. Try all the quests until the movetoqt brings you to the haalfingar quests objective person and then you have the correct quest ID.

Then use completeallobjectives and try to talk to the quest objective person again and do not skip any conversation lines. If no avail, use getstage to get the current stage of the quest and then try to guess the next stage numbers of the quest with setstage. Eg. if the current stage is 10, try 20, 30, 50, 80, 100, 200, 255 until you get one that's actually valid. Stop with the setstages and try to talk with the npc again. If no avail again, continue going higher with the quest stages. This should eventually bring you to completing the quest.

Anyway, if you can give me more info's about the quest and objectives, I could probably find a quickfix.

Whats the actual name of the quest? I presume liberate haafingar is one of the objectives because I can't find any quest titled that. also what's the name of the questgivers?

If you want to try fixing this yourself, try sqt. It will display a list of all your currently active quests and their ID's. Try to eliminate all quests that can't be the haalfingar quest and with the rest of them try 'movetoqt ID_HERE'. Save before you do the movetoqt because this might break any other questlines. Try all the quests until the movetoqt brings you to the haalfingar quests objective person and then you have the correct quest ID.

Then use completeallobjectives and try to talk to the quest objective person again and do not skip any conversation lines. If no avail, use getstage to get the current stage of the quest and then try to guess the next stage numbers of the quest with setstage. Eg. if the current stage is 10, try 20, 30, 50, 80, 100, 200, 255 until you get one that's actually valid. Stop with the setstages and try to talk with the npc again. If no avail again, continue going higher with the quest stages. This should eventually bring you to completing the quest.

Anyway, if you can give me more info's about the quest and objectives, I could probably find a quickfix.

The quest id is CWObj for that one, "Liberation of Skyrim". I still can't get it to work though. (Edit: Quest giver would be Ulfric Stormcloak or Galmar Stone-Fist)

Doing the quest naturally leaves two objectives not met, talking to Ulfric and conquering the Haafingar tower.

Using "setstage CWObj 255" completes the talk to Ulfric objective, and completes the quest, but leaves the Haafingar objective unchecked. None of the other setstage numbers worked.

The related "Battle for Solitude" quest completes naturally and without any problems as far as I can see.

After completing the quests, naturally or with the console, I'm left with a Solitude in permanent seige mode. Fire everywhere and none of the usual NPCs, and both it and the Blue Palace are absent from the map. There are Stormcloak soldiers milling about outside Castle Dour but they're left over from the battle and Ulfric's speech, they're not bounty guards.

Honestly, I don't even know if it's this quest causing the problem, it just looks suspect because it's completing with objectives not met.

So yeah, if anyone can figure out a way to end the Solitude seige mode then I'd be very grateful.

Edited by kurupt87

Absolutely having the same problem. I'm stuck on the 'Liberate Haafingar' step of the 'Liberate Skyrim' quest, and can't get around it by any means.

I can speak to Galmar Stone-Fist at the Haafinger Camp, who immediately, without pressing 'E' to talk to him, gives me another quest to take over Solitude (with the 'Liberate Skyrim' quest still outstanding at the 'Liberate Haafinger' step). If I then participate in 'Liberate Solitude', the city of Solitude bugs out in constant siege mode, just as described above. The 'Liberate Haafinger' quest step is not part of his conversation stream, as the damned dude doen't even HAVE a conversation stream after I do Fort Snow-something. He just automatically gives me the quest to attack Solitufe when I walk up to him, so there's no way to get around it!

It's completely game-breaking, as the previous poster said- you have to be able to use Solitude, and you want to move the rebellion forward- so I reloaded an ancient independent save and worked my very careful way back to the 'Liberate Haafinger' point of the quest. It broke exactly as it did before, and I'd really, really like to punch the mofos who coded this.

If anyone can figure out what console code gets you beyond the Battle for Solitude- or wraps up the Liberate Haafinger (Liberate Skyrim) quest- well, I'd owe you one.

PS- I've seen some people say that when they talked to Galmar Stone-Fist in the Haafinger camp, a dragon came and they think that may have caused the bug. I've restarted this quest several times, and have gotten a dragon twice as I tried to turn in the quest, but it's bugged for me with or without the dragon.

Any ideas at all will be tried!

EDIT: Found this thread on the same topic; one person n these boards had success putting on all the armor Ulfric gives you after the liberation of the previous fort and then waiting 48 hours in another city, then trying to turn in the quest: http://www.thenexusforums.com/index.php?/topic/469994-liberate-haafingar-quest-bug/page__p__3858824__hl__haafingar__fromsearch__1#entry3858824 . Trying it now. FURTHER EDIT: No dice. Also, a dragon attacks the area about 70% of the time, which even breaks the part of the quest where you turn in the Fort Snow-whatever step. If a dragon attacks, you just go straight into him telling you to go to Solitude, with no completion (or start!) of 'Liberate Haafinger' AND no 10k gold for completeing the Forst Snow-something bit. Totally making me want to punch kittens.

Edited by discopriest

Hi

@kurupt:

Just asking this because you didn't mention it. Did you try the completeallobjectives command before using any of the setstage commands?

Some of the quest scripts or post-scripts were not triggered properly, thus leaving Solitude in the bad state and if none of the quest-related console commands work, there is little hope of a quickfix before the SDK is out. Had similar problems with the companions questline. Once a particular objective was given, the rest of the current quest and the rest of the questline were bugged beyond return so only loading an earlier savegame and skipping the bugging objective would let me continue. Trying to fix the broken line after it's been obviously broken didn't work.

You can find the quest stages in uesp's wiki and then you can try to skip stages one by one (setstage) until you're past the broken part. Though you would have to load an earlier save and start skipping from the very beginning of the quest.

This way you can find the bit that causes the quest to break.

Example with the companions questline:

After returning from the Glenmoir Cave with the witches heads, I found the companions along with the bodies of the silver hand and a very dead Kodlak. Vilkas talked to me and was supposed to give me the next quest but never did. I couldnt force the next quest to start and skipping the next quest would bring me to the last quest but that one was also bugged because of Vilkas and the others having invalid AI packages from the broken quest. They would stand around combat ready, just like after the silver hand attacks.

To fix it, I loaded an earlier save and started the bugged quest again, but instead of going to the cave and collecting the heads I skipped the objective and just returned to Jorrvaskr. This time Vilkas gave me the next quest right away and I didn't encounter any other bugs. Just had to collect the witches heads later on.

To find out that entering the cave bugged the quest, I actually started from skipping the whole quest, to be sure the bug was actually caused by that specific quest. Then I skipped stages from the beginning, trying to complete the quest naturally after skipping each stage. It was still bugged afterwards until I got to skipping the head collecting part.

I hope this gives you an useful explanation on how to fix your questline.

On the bright side, the SDK is due to release this week! Might either get specific directions from the data files or create a hotfix.

Edited by kittytoaster

Hi

One solution that worked for me when I didn't get the speak option when pressing E to him:

You get the "Liberate Haafingar" quest and go to Galmar, who dont speka to you.

Then I went to Solitude and killed all imperials (thx to the over-powered Dremora Lord). Then to Ulfric and talked and waited for 24h.

Then back to Galmar quick so the dragon nearby doesn't infect. And I could speak with him and "Report in" and got the quest for Fort Halmart or something and then Solitude.

/gäddan