Heavy Traffic ×

Can't buy house in Markarth.

olnorton

The Jarl told me I could buy a house & be thane when I was better known.

I helped 5/5 people of the reach & now I don't get the option from his uncle.

I'm on level 25.

Buy a house in Markarth still shows up in my quest list.

I know D:

it's broken. markarth is broken. the whole, stupid beautiful city is full of more bugs than a spider's nest.

To get the house in markarth, you MUST buy it BEFORE you do 5/5 quests for the people. if it's not too far i'd suggest you reload from before that last quest and buy it. you can give yourself money via the console to do it, with "player.additem f <amount here>"

if it's too late to do that, and if you're siding with the stormcloaks, you might try playing through the war storyline until markarth is taken over and see if the new steward will work.

I know D:

markarth is broken. the whole, stupid beautiful city

I don't know how beautiful it is, the whole city was designed with the sole purpose of making the map useless.

But thanks WarKirby, I now have a house in Markarth, but I had to drop 5 levels to do it.

Going back 2 levels, to when I had 4/5 people of the Reach didn't help, so I went right back & bought it before helping anyone other than the Jarl.

I now have my own enchanting table, but I'm no longer a Master Enchanter. (although I'm the Archmage, so I had one anyway)

• 5 months later...
This bug happens when you complete the jail quest before buying a house. I found a way to fix it under certain conditions. You have not switched governments in Markarth you can switch it and the new Jarl/Stewardt will let you buy a house. There are at least 2 ways to do this, by siding with the Imperials in the civil war quest or"arranging" it at the peace conference.