Heavy Traffic ×

Fallout 4 Animation Modding (for modders and animators)

I'm thinking about making extending skeleton. Like that xp32 did.

But I need to know what is required in it.

Obviously - butt and breast joints. Maybe tail. Maybe wings. What else?

Also, anyone knowing anything about this - are there any limitations on joint count in Fallout 4? Other than "staying reasonable"? Because I can easily go with adding hundreeds of new joints, adding not just 2 bones for boobs, but like 10, to allow their deformations, etc.

Thankyou for all this information. This is very clearly presented and explained, I know basically nothing about this topic and could still easily read what you had there.

While I don't plan on doing much animation work since it's really far out of my skillset, it's so useful to know how this works and to know that there are going to be other people now well equipped to do it.

Well this is exciting. Until now, with any mod that's popped up with the merest hint of maybe possibly having new animations, I've had to post something like "hey what did you say animations? Do you know how to get new animations into FO4?" :woot:

... Only to be disappointed.

Thank you very much for putting all this together. What I'm most interested in are new weapon animations (e.g. grips, reloads, bolt cycling), so if possible, guides/resources/etc on how to get those into FO4 would be much appreciated.

Once I get time (the thing that's been holding me up is my 4.5-years-in-the-making Skyrim mod that just went into beta), I've been thinking of making some new weapon animations myself if possible. I have actually done weapon animation before... but that was for an Unreal 2 mod over a decade ago, and I didn't really enjoy doing it. I just really want to see some more appropriate weapon animations in the game for real-world weapons.

Well this is exciting. Until now, with any mod that's popped up with the merest hint of maybe possibly having new animations, I've had to post something like "hey what did you say animations? Do you know how to get new animations into FO4?" :woot:

... Only to be disappointed.

Thank you very much for putting all this together. What I'm most interested in are new weapon animations (e.g. grips, reloads, bolt cycling), so if possible, guides/resources/etc on how to get those into FO4 would be much appreciated.

Once I get time (the thing that's been holding me up is my 4.5-years-in-the-making Skyrim mod that just went into beta), I've been thinking of making some new weapon animations myself if possible. I have actually done weapon animation before... but that was for an Unreal 2 mod over a decade ago, and I didn't really enjoy doing it. I just really want to see some more appropriate weapon animations in the game for real-world weapons.

The process for weapons animations should be very similar. I'll post more information if I ever get to that.

A little bit of progress on the Kit.

After changing the max scene scale I wanted to import the skeleton from scratch, to make sure that everything matches in sizes. And I had to re-constraint everything. So instead I decided to write a script.

https://youtu.be/48dgAsaLXlw

And it appeared to be quite useful otherwise. It allows you to "connect" and "disconnect" skeletons to the control skeleton, which uses same namings but with some prefix. So you can have multiple rigs in the same scene, like both Biped and CAT and switch between them on the fly if you need to. For biped you might be limited a bit, by having to go to bind pose first and using "Keep Initial Offset" checkbox (not in the video, but added already).

Or at least it may be useful to use the scene for modelling and skinning work, to be sure that the skeleton is in correct pose, you can just disconnect if from the rig, and it will go to it's default pose.

I just saw some of MaikCG's stuff on 1st person anims, and I have to say, very cool that you guys figured this out. Never used a biped rig before, but I'm sure I can figure it out given some time. Though the whole motionbuilder export method perplexes me. Hopefully an IK rig and a simpler solution will be on the horizon.