Subway Station Settlement

CGA001

So I am a huge fan of the book (and game) Metro 2033, and I would absolutely love it if someone could make a Subway Settlement. I don't know too much about the process of creating mods, but I don't think this would be a particularly challenging mod to create to someone who has worked on creating custom settlements before. Now I know what some of you are thinking, "just use the Conquest mod", but the problem I have with that is I don't want random enemies spawning within my settlement, like ghouls or radroaches. All that would need to be done to make this mod is create a new door in front of an existing subway entrance that is blocked by debris, such as This entrance to Copley Station (pictured below, location is west of trinity tower), which would lead into an empty station that reuses one of the in-game subway cells, just without any enemies and a workbench inside.

Please skilled mod makers of the Nexus, make my RPG dreams a reality!

Yes that might work. I guess it would be an interior cell, like the Mechanist's lair. It could also connect to other stations, so that you can follow the rails to some other places. Maybe even provisioners could use these tunnels, but I have no idea how provisioners work.

I think ghouls and radroaches should spawn, though, but in the aforementioned tunnels, so that you have to build defenses against what might come from the tunnels, like in Metro.

Also, thre might be still power, which you can access. Maybe only 10 or so, but still.

The recruitment radio beacon shouldn't work there, though. The signal probably wouldn't punch through all that concrete.

Not sure what to do about food. Maybe declare the railbeds as plantable, or just make a hole in the wall which opens to some small cave. Sure, the problem doesn't exist if you have the wasteland workshop, but not sure how many people actually have that.

Water, either you have to build pumps into the aforementioned cave or onto the rails (not believable imho), or actually add a body of water. In Metro, they actually had water power in one station. You could make it so that the rails slope down at one end a little, and that that part has knee-deep water. Or somewhere an old pipe bursted and you have a puddle, just large enough to plant your purifier.

I've been working on one, one of the larger subway stations, but it has a big issue that is still not fixed and the answers to the problem aren't just sparse, they don't seem to exist. It may be appropriate to create an entirely new subway station but that's a bit beyond me, they're quite complex structures... But interiors can work just like any other functioning settlement - of course, there are other things you need to take into consideration like the navmeshing and as pra says the practicality of some stuff like water etc. The 9th or 10th mod in my collection will be an interior settlement, and I really wish to get this one working -- but no joy yet, sorry. Maybe someone else will have better luck or the talent to construct a subway station from scratch.

Edited by m0ds1984

Yes that might work. I guess it would be an interior cell, like the Mechanist's lair. It could also connect to other stations, so that you can follow the rails to some other places. Maybe even provisioners could use these tunnels, but I have no idea how provisioners work.

I think ghouls and radroaches should spawn, though, but in the aforementioned tunnels, so that you have to build defenses against what might come from the tunnels, like in Metro.

Also, thre might be still power, which you can access. Maybe only 10 or so, but still.

The recruitment radio beacon shouldn't work there, though. The signal probably wouldn't punch through all that concrete.

Not sure what to do about food. Maybe declare the railbeds as plantable, or just make a hole in the wall which opens to some small cave. Sure, the problem doesn't exist if you have the wasteland workshop, but not sure how many people actually have that.

Water, either you have to build pumps into the aforementioned cave or onto the rails (not believable imho), or actually add a body of water. In Metro, they actually had water power in one station. You could make it so that the rails slope down at one end a little, and that that part has knee-deep water. Or somewhere an old pipe bursted and you have a puddle, just large enough to plant your purifier.

Exellent points, I really like the idea about the radroaches spawning in the tunnels, and there would be problems with water and food (If only we could plant mushrooms!). I like the Idea of the subway being connected to other stations, but I see that as being a lot of work for the mod creator. Thank you for your feedback!

I've been working on one, one of the larger subway stations, but it has a big issue that is still not fixed and the answers to the problem aren't just sparse, they don't seem to exist. It may be appropriate to create an entirely new subway station but that's a bit beyond me, they're quite complex structures... But interiors can work just like any other functioning settlement - of course, there are other things you need to take into consideration like the navmeshing and as pra says the practicality of some stuff like water etc. The 9th or 10th mod in my collection will be an interior settlement, and I really wish to get this one working -- but no joy yet, sorry. Maybe someone else will have better luck or the talent to construct a subway station from scratch.

Oh man I didn't even think about the navmesh. Perhaps the navmesh can be recycled from another station in the game that actually has people in it, like the ones with raiders living inside? Sorry if this sounds stupid, I have very limited knowledge on how the process works. Thank you so much for trying, and I really hope you are able to get these bugs fixed!

Exellent points, I really like the idea about the radroaches spawning in the tunnels, and there would be problems with water and food (If only we could plant mushrooms!). I like the Idea of the subway being connected to other stations, but I see that as being a lot of work for the mod creator. Thank you for your feedback!

Haha yes, plant mushrooms, cook mushroom tea :D

Maybe it could be done with a retextured glowing fungus.

Too bad there aren't any pigs in the game, and that there is no real mechanics regarding breeding animals for food...