Nifs have no collision, falling through static models

BangARang2016

So basically, I have a static mesh that is a room piece (converted from Fallout 4) (like VURmMid01.nif) The textures are fine, and align perfectly in the G.E.C.K. However, In-game, my player falls right through the model as if it isn't there.

***Please note: I and attempting to build a Vault 111 for Fallout 3 for pure sport. No models or mods will be shared per Nexus rules!***

All help is GEATLY Appreciated!

BangARang2016 - Hello!

From what I know of Falllout 4, collision has changed significantly along with some other partrs of .nif's.
Assuming the piece you have moved over to Fallout 4 had collision to begin with, it's possible it is not reverse compatible.

Does the piece have a bhkCollisionObject when you open it in Nifskope?

The piece looks like it could match a vanilla item in Fallout 3, if there is a match you could Copy Branch it's bhkCollisionObject & Paste Branch it into your transported piece. Removing the Fallout 4 collision of course.

To copy bhkCollisionObject between the two nif's you'd need to make sure the top block, BSFadeNode of each has a matching name (just rename the Fallout 3 piece's BSFadeNode to match the name of the swapped in part you're copying to).

Either that or just make a brand new collision for the object in Blender:

Hope this helps!

Prensa

Prensa, Hello, and thanks for the reply

The nif was imported to max as a Fallout 4 model, then exported as a Fallout 3 model. I have Attempted to add the collision to the model using pixelhate's link posted above. I can see the collision geometry in the GECK when I hit F4. However, to no avail, the player still falls through the piece. When Impoted to max, I made sure there was no collision because as you had mentioned, collision had changed in Fallout 4. The blocks you mentioned, I added to the model manually in max with the niftools plugin. After that, I exported the model as a Fallout 3 nif, WITH collision Still not working. I did import a Fallout 3 model and looked at it and my model, and the block structure matched. I have no idea how it is not working. :/

There are often settings for collision to tweak in NifSkope after export for them to work as expected.

Here's some (incomplete) notes I've token about collision: http://www.mediafire.com/download/ubvtzwandbztwh3/Bits+of+NifSkopery+06+-+Collision.pdf

Maybe they can help?

If not, I'm willing to take a look at your mesh, try to find out what's wrong and hopefully explain it.

Unfortunately, my time is very short at present, I will have a couple hours free tomorrow, then nothing up till next week.

Pixelhate - Hello!

"In case of using 3D Max, this article might be useful too"

Good catch, I missed that BangARang2016 was using 3D Max. :)

"You can delete the link if you don't want your mesh to be public."

Too late, I've got it too! Who can work it out faster, Pixelhate or Prensa. :D

Probably you, your speedy & I'm slow in my old age. :)

Great to see you helping out, I know you're very busy lately.

Take care,

Prensa

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

BangARang2016 - Hello!

"Prensa, Hello, and thanks for the reply"

No problem!

I see Pixelhate's got you covered, they are very good at this sort of thing so you're in great hands.

I've taken a peak too & your collision shape is fine, it's just misplaced.

Shows up in my Nifskope as being shifted over to the left of the model, that's why in game you're falling through.
The collision is there but to the side.

I've moved it in Blender to cover the room & it works fine.

Also changed the material to HAV_MAT_METAL in the bhkMoppBvTreeShape & the hkPackedNiTriStripsShape - hkPackedNiTriStripsData - Sub Shapes.

Also changed the BSXFlags setting to 2, standard for statics.

Changed Mass in bhkRigidBody to 0, standard for statics (prevents floaty part bug).

I've two versions, one with your collision just moved over & another with scratch made Blender collision.
I can send them to you, either in this thread or by PM if you're not wanting them public.

I don't use 3D Max so not sure what would cause the created collision to be to the left like that.

In Blender I'd guess that the model the collision was created from needed "Apply Object" - "Scale & Rotation to obData" but don't know what the 3D Max equivalenat would be.

I'm curious why your Nifskope is not showing the collision to the side as it is in mine.

Also will be interesting to see what Pixelhate's verdict is.

"And from looking at your PDF, it is very detailed, I think I undetstand a bit more."

Pixelhate's guides are great, they've also got a really good one on animated textures here.

Hope this helps!

Prensa

Hello Senpai Prensa, :)

You :ninja: ed me ! :laugh:

I've send an attempt to BangARang with the RigidBody converted To RigidBodyT then translated but it didn't work (I've rushed it a bit) and I was about to open the mesh in Blender now.

But You are the best! :thumbsup:

@BangARang

The scratch made version made by Prensa would certainly be the best option, the nif is quite heavy and I'm sure her version would be optimized.

Even though you won't notice because it will stay on your computer, you might want to correct the diffuse texture path of the different NiTriStrips.

It should start with Textures. Not with something like C:\Program Files\Bethesda Softworks\