Staff upgrades?

Dimitian

As many have noted, staves get left behind by normal spells and melee options due to the fact that weapons can be upgraded and the master destruction spells can be made dirt cheap with item enchantments.

I have noticed, whilst brainstorming other mod suggestions, that there are two Fortify effects present in the game for Illussion, Restoration, Conjuration, and Destruction; one in enchanting, and the other in alchemy. Would it be possible to apply the alchemy Fortify Des/Res/Ill/Con effect to staves, and in greater intensity in accord with your alchemy skill? If so, what might it involve, at a guess?

Edit:

I should specify, is it possible to add the Fortify enchantment permanantly?

Edited by Dimitian

Are you saying the player equips a staff, and from that point on they are permanently under the effects of an infinite duration potion? Why? Wouldn't that just be confusing to players? What happens if you equip a different staff? Do you get another permanent buff?

I think I just don't understand what you are asking for at all here.

Either he wants to put the fortify school armor enchantment on a staff, or he means to have the staves be affected by your armor's fortify school enchantments. Not clear on which

Fortify enchantment on the staff, yes. Not affected by your armor.

For example, if you have a destruction staff at 40pts of damage, and you take it to a workbench, and use alchemical ingredients to apply the Fortify Destruction alchemy enchantment at 25%, it would increase to 50pts of damage, thus facilitating an upgrade system like other weapons. And, depending on your alchemy skill + relevant perks + enchanted armor, the enhantment could be increased further afterward.

It would apply duration effects to conjuration and illusion staves.

SO, doe this sound like a feasible way to get staves to keep up with other weapons? Or would it require editing the staves as well?

Or perhaps the game could be tricked into treating the staff like a bow, but with unlimited ammo? e.g. http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/14687/? http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/64171/?

That might allow it to have damage output like a bow, and be upgraded the same way.

Problem there, though, is would staff enchantment charges still be required, either for concentration spell (flames) or missile spell (firebolt)?

Edited by Dimitian

What if you could enchant staves with buffs like armor? You could find a lot of different enchantments and they'd scale with your enchanting skill. You could have Fortify school, Magicka, Magicka Regen, Cast like Dual casting without the extra magicka cost, add mage armor similar in numbers to a shield....