Improving the Blades

Logiwink

Sourceforge Page for Reforging the Blades: https://sourceforge.net/p/reforgeblades/home/Home/

If you'd like to join the team please go post on the Sourceforge Forums.

Project forums are now located HERE.

***SPOILERS ALERT***

EDIT 4/15/2012: JibstaMan has taken the project over including the sourceforge pages. He has my full confidence.

Reforging the Blades

This is a discussion for features for a upcoming mod that will add content to the Blades Faction (Reforging the Blades Mod) improving Sky Haven Temple, allowing the recruitment of new specialized Blades members, and adding a series of new quests that allow you to help redefine the role of the Blades in the Fourth Era.

OP:

What about the Blades?

Why can't Sky Haven Temple be a viable base, complete with your own room, a library, museum/armory space, storekeeper, and crafting space for blacksmithing/alchemy/enchanting?

We also really need more conversation options with Esbern and Delphine. For example, when they insist you kill Parthurnaxx you should be able to talk them out of it (persuade) or at least tell them to take care of it themselves. Seriously, I'm the Dragonborn, you don't get to order me to kill a dragon. The "your with us or against us" mentality of the blades, even after you kill Alduin, is ridiculous. You should be able to get the Blades and Parthunax to work together to fight "rogue" dragons who still want to turn the clock back to the time when Dragons Ruled All.

Additionally, instead of just bringing followers to join the Blades, Esbern and Delphine should send you out to recruit people they've heard about. This could be an entire new quest line involving recruitment quests, retrieval of important blades artifacts, even defense of Sky Haven Temple against a Thalmor assault.

I'm willing to work to create this mod if someone with experience will partner with me. I'm good at writing and feel confident that I can navigate the creation toolset when it gets released, but I'm not confident I can hack it on my own (at least for something this big for a first time effort).

Also, any additional ideas for overhauling/improving the Blades?

Edited by Logiwink

• Replies 362
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

+1 for you sir. Anything that enhances story is something I want. I write as well, and if you ever wanted to run ideas by me and talk about script, let me know. I write fiction for fun, and would love to be of help if you need it. I might even try to learn how to do some modding because I would love to create some questlines myself...with voice work and everything. :)

Agreed. I told the Blades to go to hell because there was no freaking way I was doing what they asked me to in that Paarthurnax quest, especially since they puffed their chests out and tried to deliver an ultimatum to the goddamn Dovahkiin who just killed Alduin.

It would be nice if there was an option to go, "I run this show, I say the dragon stays, deal with it" and make them recognize the wisdom in your decision.

I simply let the quest be in my journal untill i have taken care of Alduin and finished the quest line then it goes away by itself. i never killed Paarthurnax.

but yes i never wanted the damn quest in the first place,

Coolness, here is an outline of the changes I would make including different resolutions to the Parthurrnax quest, gaining a title in the Blades organization, and adding a Quest line called "Reforging the Blades" in which the character can actively rebuild the organization and take the fight to the Thalmoor and help define the role of the Blades in the Fourth Era.

Reforging the Blades Mod – Content Outline

1.Alternate resolutions to the Kill Parthurnax Quest:

a. New Conversation Options

i. “About Paarthurnax….”

1. “Paarthurnax may have committed atrocities in the past, but he has spent thousands of years in peaceful mediation awaiting the day when he could resist Alduin. He now strives to persuade more dragons to give up power and learn the Way of the Voice. He is our ally and we should join with him to control the dragons in the wake of Alduin’s defeat (persuade).

2. “I’m not doing your dirty work. I’m not your errand boy. You want Paarthurnax dead, you kill him yourself.”

b. Sky Haven Temple as a Player Home

i. Expand Sky Haven Temple to include

1. Player Quarters

2. Alchemy/Enchantment Lab

3. Outdoor Forge Area

4. Shopkeeper

5. Museum/Armory for display of trophies and Blades Relics

c. Reforging the Blades Questline

i. Player is appointed Edge of the Blades, a position that involves shaping the growth of the organization

1. Player initially is tasked with seeking out recruits who have distinguished themselves (think Duncan recruiting Grey Wardens from Dragon Age)

2. Early quests also involve reclaiming important books, artifacts, etc from the Blades past

3. Also recruiting a smith to join the Blades to make armor and weapons (acts as a storekeeper once recruited)

4. Later quests will give option of group-dragon hunts; attacks on Thalmor strongholds

5. Additional Possibility – Find the hidden line of Septim descendents and safeguard them to ascend to the throne of the Empire

Edited by Logiwink

I like most of it, all except the "hidden septim line" You are the Dragonborn, you should be the one to rule, not some unknown, untested milkdrinker whose time has long since passed, because if there was a hidden septim out there, where were they in the last 200 years?

Fair criticism - especially "where were you while the Empire was going to sh*t!" I guess I really enjoyed the "Blades as the Emperor's Bodyguard" role from Oblivion and thought it might make an interesting mini-plot. Ideally, as "The Edge of the Blades" you would have a choice between three or four different roles for the Blades in the Fourth Era 1) Dragon Exterminators - kill all dragons ever 2) Dragon controllers, force all to join Paarthurnax or die 3)Engage the Thalmor and thwart their influence in Skyrim 4) Search for the Lost Bloodline of Tiber Septim.

Of course #4 does seem a bit weak - after all, there were several Septims that all but ran the Empire into the ground. Tiber Septim and Uriel Septim VII where really the only good ones.

What do people think about the possibility to convince the Blades to support Ulfric Stormcloak? I doubt the would ever support the Empire since the Empire is under the thumb of the Thalmor. There could be a mission that results in Blades appearing in Winterhelm Palaces as bodyguards for Ulfric. I think I prefer the notion of the Blades staying neutral for the time being though.

Additionally, the Blades are going to need a source of revenue to fund their expanded operations. This could present another interesting challenge for the edge of the Blades with solutions including buying mines, shops, etc to help fund the blades. Or seeking out wealth donors and persuading or blackmailing them.

Also, and this is a small but important detail - WE NEED TO BE ABLE TO CLOSE THE DOOR to Sky Haven Temple. For when the Thalmoor attack!

I would prefer it if there is a lost bloodline of the Septims, that it's the player who is the last member of the bloodline, because as Dragonborn, he pretty much is, it doesn't make sense, at least to me for some random unknown to take the throne when there's a Dragonborn right in front of them, and since you are the last Dragonborn, it would only make sense, you become the new Emperor, just like Talos did in his day, maybe even receive some kind of help or vision from Talos in the process of reclaiming the throne.

For the revenue, they could rely on the player, they could sell their Dragon Hunting experience and hunt a dragon that is terrorizing a village/town/city, the player's shop investments could help as well, they could open a shop (under a false identiey to hide from the Thalmor while they build). As for joining Ulfric Stormcloak, no, just no. That man is a self-centered, egotistical, bastard, who only wants to be High King, I helped him in the Rebellion, then killed him.