Return to Skyrim and 4gm limit

Alventiothy

Hey guys, so I took a break from Skyrim for a while and have recently come back to it after buying a nice new rig to play it with. I keep coming across random information about some new 4gb limit which appears to make my new GPU totally redundant (gtx 1080 8gb vram). Could anyone fill me in briefly on just what this limit is and point me in the direction of further information? I gather no workarounds have been found for it?
In a Related note, after playing skyrim vanilla on windows 10 anyway I seem to get more hard crashes and ctd's than ever before regardless of this new limit so I'm beginning to wonder about the compatibility of win 10 and Skyrim altogether....Anyone else had any issues?

Edited by Alventiothy

I just upgraded to 10 a month ago, I have not seen any increase in crashes, and I am using about 35 mods.

How long was your break? Since 2012? Many of those mods have become obsolete and you need an update or change mods.

Are you using the Unofficial Legendary Patch, without the individual DLC patches (you should)?

Have you upgraded SkyUI? Most mods nowadays require a newer SkyUI since they added a mod settings interface.

What about the High Def DLC? Then you need the Unofficial HD Patch too.

Is Skyrim automatic updates turned off in Steam (downloads)? Is it saying there is an update?

Edited by HalloweenWeed

I last played it about mid 2015 so not too long ago really. But I was previously on windows 7 and used skyui with mcm menus etc. I have USLEEP yes, but I'm getting random crashes even when just using the unofficial patches and booting up the game from Mod Organizer at the minute (I first thought it could be hardware issue but all other games work fine). I just wondered if it might be in some way related to this 4gb limit thing. Upgraded to windows 10 and have since seen many posts about 4gb limits and instability in windows 10 so wondered if anyone else experienced such things thats all.

Edited by Alventiothy