Is there any workaround for the NPC reset bug yet?

pra

Title says it all. I've read that the UFO4P does... something, but I think it was only about actual settlers. What about robots losing all the modifications or companions having parts of them disappearing? As I understood it this is all caused by the same bug, namely NPCs respawning as soon as the leave the player's field of view.

I think it's safe to assume that bethesda won't fix it anytime soon, and I now don't dare upgrading to 1.6 in fear of it permanently corrupting my savegame, and therefore can't use the vault-tec DLC, either.

I had to stop using the UFO4P due to the settler issues with 1.6. With the UFO4P settler's will not join settlements, and I have read the happiness never seems to rise. I personally did not notice the happiness never changing, but after creating a new settlement I have waited for 30+ minutes, real time minutes, and never got 1 settler to show up. As soon as I disable the UFO4P, they start showing up after a few minutes.

The rest of the NPC, companion issue you mention. I again have not seen this, but then I only just started a new game, so I only have Preston with me. I almost never re-equipe him, since I can max his affinity quickly, and I do not prefer him as my primary companion. I only keep him long enough to get the retake the Castle quest.

The robot issue, has been there before 1.6, and if you have robot mods then the issue happens more often. That can be worked around by unequipping any robot modification before adding a new one.