Mods no longer work/show in fallout 4

rickyretana13

Hello people. Its been about a month since I played fallout 4 and I logged on to play the new DLC BUT my mods are not working. I even had some mods from bathesda downloaded but those don't show up either. Basically, my Mod Order section where I used to be able to click the mods on and off is now empty. I recently downloaded fallout 4 again in my ssd and the nexus program in my ssd as well. I never had issues before adding mods and playing the game with mods from nexus and bathesda. PLease help a bro out because I can only enjoy the game with mods available! Thanks in advance!!!

1) I am assuming that you made the necessary ini changes already. If not
go to:

C:\Users\username\Documents\My Games\Fallout4\Fallout4Custom.ini (if you don't have a Fallout4Custom.ini then go ahead and create it).

Under [Archive] add:

bInvalidateOlderFiles=1
sResourceDataDirsFinal=

Save and close the file.

2) Go to Users\(your name)\Appdata\local\fallout4\plugins.txt
Right click the text file. Go to 'Properties' and disable 'read only'.

Add a '*' (asterisk) before every unofficial mod plugin file (both .esm and .esp).

EXMAPLE:
Fallout4.esm
DLCRobot.esm
*SatelliteWorldMap.esp
*companion_DogMetal.esp
*Pip-Boy Flashlight.esp
*PipBoyShadows.esp
*Glowing Animals Emit Light.esp
*Fr4nssonsLightTweaks.esp

Save the text file.

Go to 'Properties' and enable 'read only' again.

3) Did you enable your mods at Bethesda.net?

(https://mods.bethesda.net/#en/workshop/fallout4)

Click on 'Mods' at your game Start Menu and it will take you there. You will need to make an account with them first.

The Rabbit

Edited by Rabbit 51

Hey man, not sure if I'm missing something simple here, but I got a problem. Goes like this: Just bought the DLC for F4 and downloaded it. Also downloaded a lot of new mods, quite a few of them requiring the DLC. However, upon installing the mods it rashes my game. As far as I an tell it's because the dlc don't show up on the load order of NMM. When I disable the plugins of the mods that require the dlc, it all runs fine, but once I re-enable them (with the dlc on the load order) the game crashes again. How do I get the dlc to show up on the plugin list of NMM? Any and all help would be appreciated.

Alright Troops!! Gather 'round. I've been busy rewriting the Mod Installation Guide to try to cover everything. The issue is that I don't know what each of you did, or didn't, do in setting up modding for your game. So, I recreated the Guide so that you can all look through it and hopefully find your issue. These are the rules that I use and they seem to work for me.

To enable mods in Fallout 4.

After purchasing and installing your game through Steam:

Go to:
C:\Users\username\Documents\My Games\Fallout4\Fallout4Custom.ini (if you don't have a Fallout4Custom.ini file then create one).

Open the file and under [Archive] add:

bInvalidateOlderFiles=1
sResourceDataDirsFinal=

Save and close the file.

Download, activate and sort your mods in the Nexus Mod Manager version 0.61.23(http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/modmanager/?) or use any other mod manager that you prefer. Install the mods one or two at a time and check to see that they are working as they should before installing more. Start the game and at the Play Game menu exit out. This will burn the mods into the appropriate system folders.

Go to:
C:\Users\(username)\Appdata\local\fallout4\plugins.txt and right click on it. Choose 'Properties' and disable 'Read Only'. If don't see the Appdata folder open Windows File Explorer, access Tools > Folder Options > View > then select “Show Hidden Files”. In Windows 10 open File Explorer, 'View' tab and click Hidden Items.

Open plugins.txt in Notepad and add a '*' (asterisk) before every unofficial mod plugin file (both .esm and .esp).

EXMAPLE:
Fallout4.esm
DLCRobot.esm
*CBBE.esp
*MiscHairstyle.esp
*stop hammer time.esp
*Brighter Piplight.esp
*PrescriptionGlasses.esp
*YourHouseSurvived.esp
*HidePipboy.esp

Save the text file.

Select 'Properties' again and enable 'Read Only'.

Go to Bethesda.net (https://mods.bethesda.net/#en/workshop/fallout4) and set up an account if you haven't done so already.

Start Fallout 4 and at the Start Menu (where it lets you Continue your game) select 'Mods'. Log in to Bethesda.net and enable all of your mods there also. Exit back into your game and you should be done.

You might make a copy of your plugins.txt file and keep it as a backup. You can Copy and Paste your information from it should the original information become lost or corrupt.

For further assistance here is the link to the Nexus Wiki Mod Installation Guide from which this treatise borrows heavily: (http://wiki.tesnexus.com/index.php/Fallout_4_Mod_Installation). And a thanks to Mr. Bben46 from who much of this materiel has been plagiarized.

Alright, see how this works for you.

The Rabbit