Mods no longer work/show in fallout 4

rickyretana13

INI Files: C:\Users\<<your user name>>\Documents\my games\Fallout4 <<-- can't change this

Load order files: C:\Users\<<your user name>>\AppData\Local\Fallout4 <<-- can't change this

Fallout 4: C:\<<whereever you installed it to>>\Fallout 4\Data <<- can configure for NMM but not the Fallout4.exe itself.

Well that's rather interesting then. You can tell NMM where your Fallout 4 install is but you can't tell Fallout 4 where to find the files. The Fallout 4 EXE will always look in the users folder for system files. As for the Data folder that's configured by Steam. Which you may know. If the Fallout 4 Launcher was pointing to the same folder as NMM then your DLCList.txt would have changed and it would have listed all the files in your Data folder. DLCList.txt is used by the launcher and not Fallout 4 itself and the list of plugins are never sorted and should be ignored for load order purposes in regards to LOOT or NMM.

So now we are back to some kind of windows setup issue or some kind of install issue. One thing to remember is that you can't manually relocate Fallout 4 it has to be installed with Steam to a Steam library folder. So if you wanted it in C:\My Games\Fallout 4 you can't move it from C:\Program Files (x86)\SteamApps\common\Fallout 4 manually. Also when you make a library folder in Steam it will append the rest of the path. So it might be C:\Games in Steam's preferences as shown in my screen shot but Steam will install it to C:\Games\SteamApps\common\Fallout 4.

That's been the case for Skyrim as well so I don't know why it would have worked previously. However, to a degree it doesn't matter if it might have worked previously it's not working now. I normally do not suggest users uninstall and reinstall Fallout 4 since that's very tiresome and in most cases may not resolve the issue. It might for you so I'd consider it.

If you chose to reinstall then configure the folder you want in Steam like I show in my screen shot. Otherwise if you have any more information about your install share it but I can't promise an easy or simple answer. Steam and Fallout 4 are simply looking in a different location then NMM.

Edited by Sharlikran

Steam and NMM were using one each. I now fixed it and it works. Thanks a lot for your help!

Hmm... some mods are still not loading and not shown in "plugins" in NMM

I understand you say you fixed it but did you chose the Steam location or where you want the game to be? I suspect it's where you want it and not where Steam wants it because you are saying some mods aren't showing up on the Plugins tab in NMM.

C:\<<somelocation>>\Fallout 4\Data <<-- Steam's folder, must use this location

C:\<<somelocation>>\Fallout 4\Data <<-- Where you want it installed or the location NMM is configured to use <<-- Can't use this location

In order to see where Steam installed Fallout 4 open Steam, go to Library, Games, right click "Fallout 4", choose properties, go to the local files tab, click the browse local files button. That is the location you need to assign to NMM. Then copy all your files there or reinstall the mods.

Now on the other hand lets say I'm wrong. Some mod authors don't always make a file that NMM can use. So there could be an issue with the archive. However, that's rare.

Edited by Sharlikran

Most texture mods don't have a plugin, they just have files. If you have any texture mods with a plugin it's probably an empty plugin and a BA2 file. BA2 files are supported however, if you have a really old mod that has an empty plugin and a BSA file then that's not supported. If someone made a plugin prior to the release of the CK and without using FO4Edit the game might not even recognize the plugin. Not recognizing BSA files and plugins with incorrect (Skyrim) version numbers could be intentional by design from Bethesda.

I'm sorry I won't be able to help you troubleshoot individual plugins, textures, meshes, and all that kind of stuff. You would need to look at the user comments or post a question for the author in their comments section if you are having an issue with specific mods.