I'm trying to create some outfits for FO4 and I'm having a couple of issues I can't seem to fix.

- Despite having copied the bone weights of the reference Body to all the parts of my new mesh, they don't all move with the reference body.

For instance the skirt and the coat bottom of this mesh stay static. They move geographically with the body, but when I make the character crouch, the skirt and coat bottom stay where they were when my character was standing. They also don't move with the legs while walking.

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/images/41844/?

Any ideas on how to fix this?

- Second issue is that the alpha channels don't show up in game. I have enabled the alpha channel in the material file by ticking the 'enable editor alpha ref' and saved my textures .dds in the DXT5 setting in Photoshop. The right texture files are used in game, but the alpha channel isn't doing anything. What am I missing?

- Third issue sit that I created a sort of pouch with a gun inside to go with my outfit, and I placed it in Outfit studio. It has a couple of components, but they won't hold their relative position to each other in game. Any tips to make this work?

- Forth is that my reference body keeps clipping through, despite making sure there was enough space between the body and the outfit. I tried removing the skin from the mesh by either creating a new material file that had partially empty texture (made the missing skin glow white), or just using the mask brush and removing parts of the mesh. (removed those reference parts and made my pants for instance deflate on crouching.) Does anyone have any tips here?

I basically tried a lot of different things to fix the issue, including several videos and instructions online... I'm usually the kind of girl that wants to figure everything out myself, but I am at my wit's end with these issues.

Thanks in advance for any help that's given.

Yulliah

Okay, okay let's see! I've had similar problems my self and some I've solved and others not.

1. When I copied the cloth physics while saving to .nif in OS, I notice I should only save physics form one piece on the lower body. So if I had a dress under a coat, I would only save the coats physics and not the dress too. This would in game still move both pieces individually even tho they where at different angles. Thus solving my problem of the coat going static.

2. The alpha channel will only show in game, if you in the .nif file inserted a NiAlphaProperty tab to the BSSubIndexTriShape of the outfit part with a alpha transparency enabled texture. And because I don't remember that gibberish by heart yet, I always use this guide:
"Adding Transparency to Item (Tutorial) by Cat_Woman1989"

3. As far as I know, you need to either copy another items weights in OS or use a 3D program to "weight paint" new weighting that glue the pieces to a part of the mesh or skeleton. These are things that are too advanced for me still. So I haven't learned how to do it yet.

4. To make a body not clip through clothing that are in a solid fabric, you use Zap sliders to cut away parts of the mesh. That means you don't have to use alpha transparency in the texture also. The texture doesn't show as long as there isn't any mesh. I learned how from this tutorial:
"Zap Slider Setup by Brain Poof".

You also have to remember to set your body as reference, and then save the reference body in the .nif. I think that needs to be done cuz it will tick body slot boxes in the outfit, so that the game will recognize that there's already a body in the outfit (that you moded), if these boxes aren't ticked then the game will add the default body under the outfit. You can see these slot boxes in FO4edit, I don't remember if it's on the ARMOR, ARMOR addon or the ARMA tab. But you can edit the slots there, so that the game for example recognize your outfit to be a thin under layer like the Vault Suit. That will let you stack things like armor on top of it! :D

I hope this helped with some of the problems! And you and anyone else is welcomed to ask stuff on my tumbler. I'm way more active there so it's a quicker way to get an answer, still ok to PM me here too. But since I just started modding I'm no expert. And if someone read all this and knows more feel free to correct me or add to this :tongue:
//Angie

My Tumblr ask box and message function is open ^__^

Edited by SootDirt

I'm trying to create some outfits for FO4 and I'm having a couple of issues I can't seem to fix.

- Despite having copied the bone weights of the reference Body to all the parts of my new mesh, they don't all move with the reference body.

For instance the skirt and the coat bottom of this mesh stay static. They move geographically with the body, but when I make the character crouch, the skirt and coat bottom stay where they were when my character was standing. They also don't move with the legs while walking.

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/images/41844/?

Any ideas on how to fix this?

- Second issue is that the alpha channels don't show up in game. I have enabled the alpha channel in the material file by ticking the 'enable editor alpha ref' and saved my textures .dds in the DXT5 setting in Photoshop. The right texture files are used in game, but the alpha channel isn't doing anything. What am I missing?

- Third issue sit that I created a sort of pouch with a gun inside to go with my outfit, and I placed it in Outfit studio. It has a couple of components, but they won't hold their relative position to each other in game. Any tips to make this work?

- Forth is that my reference body keeps clipping through, despite making sure there was enough space between the body and the outfit. I tried removing the skin from the mesh by either creating a new material file that had partially empty texture (made the missing skin glow white), or just using the mask brush and removing parts of the mesh. (removed those reference parts and made my pants for instance deflate on crouching.) Does anyone have any tips here?

I basically tried a lot of different things to fix the issue, including several videos and instructions online... I'm usually the kind of girl that wants to figure everything out myself, but I am at my wit's end with these issues.

Thanks in advance for any help that's given.

Yulliah

I can help with a couple of these problems...

Seems like the cloth weights and cloth physics weren't properly copied. Be sure the reference is overlapping the objects when you're copying to them and be sure you're copying from the original coat object.

If I recall correctly that coat has cloth physics and more bones weights than other clothes. Copying from a default CBBE body isn't going to do it. You're going to have to bring in that mesh, I believe that's FUnderArmor from RaiderHeavy, make that the reference and then copy. It'll also ask you which cloth data you want to add/link when you export since it detected it from another file, check the coat.

I don't think that's the option for transparency--check Alpha Test under the General tab and change Alpha Test Reference to 127.

This is caused by bone weights. If you want the pouch to stay rigid and not move when the character is in motion, select the main bone the objects lay on and paint heavier weights on them. If the pouch stretches in game it's because other weights are effecting it, erase these. If you can attach a picture I'll be able to tell better from that.

Weights are hard to get under control, one way to better understand them is to set a reference body beside your objects and see how they all lay out. As you scroll over the weights on the objects you're working on the weights on the reference will be scrolled through as well. You can see what goes where.

You can use the Zap Slider SootDirt mentioned. When I have to do something like this I go into Blender and delete everything I don't need.

Hope it helps and let us know if you have questions.

Edited by Nutulator

Most of those problems seem to come from either a bad rigging (notadding weights properly to the outfit) or using an inadequate skeleton (a skeleton that doens't have all the required bones.

All those things are easier to control in Blender than in Outfit Studio, if you want to try that you can follow this: http://wiki.nexusmods.com/index.php/Creating_an_armour_for_Fallout_4._Part_1

And about the transparency, check in NifSkope that you have the NiAlphaProperty attached to your mesh. Again, it is difficult to see in Outfit Studio if the nif has all the required data.

• 3 months later...

Alright, at the time I completely gave up and just copied everything to a long forgotten corner of my external drive as it didn't work out... BUT I've got a new sense of adventure ready, and the will to make this happen... So I am building these mashes from scratch again now that https://github.com/ousnius/BodySlide-and-Outfit-Studio/wiki/Guides-and-Documentation will make my life easier! :D

Let's do this!!!