Character turns black

Marcvss

Sorry for the undoubtedly noobish question,

But since a couple of hours I turn black when enemies are nearby. When they come close, the same happens to them.

Can anybody explain why or what is the cause of this please?

Many thanks in advance! :thumbsup:

Sorry for the undoubtedly noobish question,

But since a couple of hours I turn black when enemies are nearby. When they come close, the same happens to them.

Can anybody explain why or what is the cause of this please?

Many thanks in advance! :thumbsup:

hey...your wearing a certain kind of armor you got hat does 5 points of damage when someone is around...it also happens when you sneak

hey...your wearing a certain kind of armor you got hat does 5 points of damage when someone is around...it also happens when you sneak

Well I wasn't sneaking thats for sure...

Armor I was wearing was Ebony mail, boots and gauntlets, plus Konahrik mask.

But I'm more interested in knowing what exactly it is or whats causing it.

Well I wasn't sneaking thats for sure...

Armor I was wearing was Ebony mail, boots and gauntlets, plus Konahrik mask.

But I'm more interested in knowing what exactly it is or whats causing it.

If that is Ebony mail from Boethitia altar, it's what causing the effect. It's special magical ebony mail, that kills anyone coming too near.

If that is Ebony mail from Boethitia altar, it's what causing the effect. It's special magical ebony mail, that kills anyone coming too near.

It is indeed the Ebony mail thats having this effect.

Upon it targeting enemies (and causing 5 points of poison damage per second) within a certain radius it shows this effect by creating a black aura on player aswell as target.

Thanks for the help guys... :thumbsup:

• 8 months later...

It is indeed the Ebony mail thats having this effect.

Upon it targeting enemies (and causing 5 points of poison damage per second) within a certain radius it shows this effect by creating a black aura on player aswell as target.

Thanks for the help guys... :thumbsup:

I have the same problem also, but I do not have the ebony mail on me. I am a mage with light leather armor. I've finished majority of the side quests and am doing miscellaneous quests. I somehow got this black aura. It is not active when I am sneaking unless the enemies discover me. I've found the aura somewhat useful since I use various mods to create more monsters in the area (especially when dealing with rabbits of death). But, I cannot brawl anymore since any person that attacks me becomes poisoned and eventually dies if I stick around long enough. I've checked all my mods, and they do not add this ability to my character. I have no idea how I got this ability since I started noticing it while I was finishing 5 quests in a row.

Is there some console way of adding/removing this ability?

• 2 months later...

Got something similar but I'm thinking it's something else. Happens regardless of what I wear, and I'm a level one character, fresh spawn, and currently naked as a "it's not what I'm wearing so what is going on" type thing. If the camera zooms away from my body, my skin gets black patches until fully enveloped. If I zoom in, I'm normal again. I have cbbe and a muscle skin; which worked fine up until a few minutes ago. I only changed the load order -- which should NOT change texture data.

Graphics set to Ultra. Maxed on everything.

@Koniving - I was getting similar issues with CBBE (black char skin at a distance,zooming resulted in black squares giving way to proper skin texture close up).The CBBE FAQ suggests this is because of not enough RAM or VRAM available - my system has 16GB RAM (Of course Skyrim can only use 4GB RAM on a 64 bit system.)and 3GB VRAM so running out of RAM seemed unlikely for me,especially as the black skin would occasionally appear on load at the start of a gaming session.

In my case the problem was related to using the Texblend App to modify skin textures - the app will sometimes save femalebody_1.dds without mip maps.

The easiest solution was to load that same .dds file in Gimp (or 2D editor of choice) and resaving the texture with mip maps.The result - no more black skin textures.

I love the Ebony Mail, has to be the first Daedric quest i do

It must be pretty hard to avoid Sanguine for those 15 levels, and Mephala for 10, and never going to Markarth or Falkreath or Dawntar, or wandering around Solitude, or... :P I kid. But truly, Boethiah requires you to be level 30, it's one of the harder ones to get to in Skyrim.