Windows 10 4GB VRAM Limit

Gabby2805

So I got my new computer with Windows 10 and I've now discovered that there's a 4GB VRAM limit...I think its something to do with Direct X 9...?

Is there a way around this?

I have a GTX 1080 so I have 8GB VRAM so the 4GB cap is really frustrating.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No there is no way around it.

it was an unintentional thing that affects both windows 8 and 10 limiting DX9 games to only 4GB.

I use windows 10 and run nearly 400 mods and the game works perfectly. Dont worry too much about it. Just dont use a million bloated textures and you will be fine.

Don't worry too much. 4GB VRAM is enough to run every 2k/4k texture mod available here plus ENB and get at least 45fps outdoors as long as you don't play on a 4k monitor.

But yeah it's a shame that you cannot use all of your video memory.

Yeah - the issue is less to do with Windows and everything to do with the original Skyrim being a 32-bit application. Like 32-bit Windows versions being limited to 4GB of memory ALL IN.

I'm not an expert but my understanding is enb could be used to increase what VRAM the system would use.

The other option is of course the 64-bit "Skyrim Enhanced" or whatever it's being called thats about to hit us in October - for some crazy reason I actually await it's arrival with a degree of anticipation - despite knowing that it's just going to be an even more polished version of the same turd - but I too have a occasional weakness for shiny things and at least on the surface - Skyrim gleams.

Edit:- Back in 2007 I bought a PC that had 64bit dual core 2GHZ AMD processor - I had an old Nvidia 8600 I think with a gig of VRAM and originally 4GB of ram - wasn't until 2010 I realised that the 32 bit version of Windows Vista meant that it was only using 3.5GB of the ram I had installed and 512MB of the VRAM on the card. I used to have a couple of tools for monitoring things but just thought maybe they were faulty figures I was getting - not understanding what was going on at all...... I then upgraded to Windows 7 64-bit, stuck another 4GB of ram in and it was like having a new machine. I've tried to educate myself somewhat since realising what a tube I'd been - although - why sell a PC with 64-bit processors with 32-bit OS was a bit out of order which means I build everything myself from scratch now as well.

Ignorance is most certainly not bliss.

Yeah - the issue is less to do with Windows and everything to do with the original Skyrim being a 32-bit application. Like 32-bit Windows versions being limited to 4GB of memory ALL IN.

NO! You are referring to the 4gb RAM cap of 32-bit programms. We are talking of the 4gb "V"RAM issue that happens when you use dx9 games on Windows 8/10.

<NO! You are referring to the 4gb RAM cap of 32-bit programms. We are talking of the 4gb "V"RAM issue that happens when you use dx9 games on Windows 8/10.> I agree, seems it may be the Nvidia updated drivers.

<enb could be used to increase what VRAM the system would use> Whatever you do using ENB won't change anything. See Boris vorontsov post on Nvidia forum. Boris tried to explain it to them, they don't understand anything, these guys are a shame for human kind.

As I said Ignorance isn't bliss - MY SINCEREST APOLOGIES - I've gone and read about this and I know more now than I did then.

Still - reading that thread is fascinating.

EDIT - Thanks darstyer for pointing me in the right direction.

No there is no way around it.

it was an unintentional thing that affects both windows 8 and 10 limiting DX9 games to only 4GB.

I use windows 10 and run nearly 400 mods and the game works perfectly. Dont worry too much about it. Just dont use a million bloated textures and you will be fine.

Don't worry too much. 4GB VRAM is enough to run every 2k/4k texture mod available here plus ENB and get at least 45fps outdoors as long as you don't play on a 4k monitor.

But yeah it's a shame that you cannot use all of your video memory.

Thanks guys, its good to know that I shouldn't have to worry about it. As long as I'm getting 60fps in 1080p with all the 4k parallax textures I can find without crashes, I'm happy. I do use a 4k monitor but I only put skyrim in 4k when taking screenshots.

It is really annoying that half of my video card's memory is unusable because well its what I payed for...but at least it gives me plenty of futureproofing for future games that won't be affected by the cap.