Windows 10 4GB VRAM Limit

Gabby2805

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so are there things that can be done to circumvent this limit?

1. as mentioned above; dual booting w/ partition

2. or simply installing win10 on one ssd and win7 on another?

3. would an 11gb 1080ti let ENBoost use some of that 11gb vram?

4. is this problem with AMD gpus too?

1) That would work.

2) So would that

3) It would only use 4064mb, no more

4) It's a problem on my R9 390, so yes.

thanks. yeah i already put win10 and 7 on separate drives. get a dual boot menu at startup, choose win7, and skyrim now uses as much of my 11gb vram as it wants

• 5 weeks later...

this doesnt seem to be an issue anymore. I run the game at 1080p with compressed 2k textures, with crash fixes and enb. I just crashed due to a missing nif, but I use performance monitor and keep ram/vram seperate. I currently maxed out on ram usage at 2360 mb and vram at 4236 megabytes. This is with a gtx 1070. If this were an issue I wouldn't be able to use more than 4096 vram, but I have noted on several occasions going over 4 gb vram usage. I did have the problem with my 7970 which only had 3 gb vram. I understand enb is coded to use ram if vram is full, but perhaps the bug lies in this code with windows 10, because again my heavily modded skyrim runs without problems. In fact I'm 20+ hours in a new save and this nif problem, which I fixed, was my first crash. This is with 254 plugins and about 200 plugins merged.

Are you playing SE or Oldrim? If you are playing Oldrim, I don't understand how you are getting past the 4GB VRAM limit. Maybe your VRAM monitor is detecting VRAM usage for applications in addition to Oldrim?

There's been some noise on Reddit about the possibility of Microsoft patching the DX 9 limitation out of Win 8 and Win 10 but, as someone else put it, it might just be vaporware.

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure if this was already addressed, but there finally a fix for this.

This is NOT an issue was Skyrim, but with DirectX9 and Microsoft has FINALLY addressed this situation in an upcoming release for Windows 10.

You can grab it now if you enroll in the Windows Insider Program and update to the Preview Build 16232.

YES, it's still in beta and YES, there may be potential bugs, but it has been working fine for me so far and Skyrim broke the 4064 VRAM barrier.

Mileage may vary I suppose.

Anyway, let me know if this helps, or need assistance enrolling in the Insider Program.

Are you playing SE or Oldrim? If you are playing Oldrim, I don't understand how you are getting past the 4GB VRAM limit. Maybe your VRAM monitor is detecting VRAM usage for applications in addition to Oldrim?

There's been some noise on Reddit about the possibility of Microsoft patching the DX 9 limitation out of Win 8 and Win 10 but, as someone else put it, it might just be vaporware.

I am running Oldrim on Windows 10, applied this solution, and getting the full 22,400 MB through vramsizetool from Boris. My game runs flawlessly with Vividian ENB and various 2k/4k texture mods. You need to join the Microsoft Insider Program and get an early preview release of build 16232. I havent experienced any bugs and have used it for 3 days already.

Trust me, I wouldn't lead you guys down the wrong path.

Edited by rberkowitz85