BSN is shutting down; files there could be lost.

Tarshana

There are some files on the old BSN project website that will no longer be available after August 26th; files that aren't hosted here on the Nexus website. What is the best way to retain those files for people who like going back to old games and want some of those mods? I've got a backup drive but I'd be remiss to upload those here without permission and I can't send any messages on the BSN project website. Thanks in advance :smile:

Edit:

We have a team hard at work who have already preserved the mods and all sorts of stuff in between! For up to date information without sifting through this post, please read https://whereisbioware.wordpress.com/

We do not need anything downloaded anymore we have copies, thanks!

• Replies 376
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The "best way to retain files", is to download your own copy. NOW.

We are aware of the number of Dragon Age and Mass Effect series mods (to name the two BioWare games with the largest communities on the Nexus) that are found only on the BSN. We have reached to the BioWare staff to see if they are interested is discussing an archive transfer, much as we did with File Front. Nothing firm, just asked if they'd like to talk. That request went out on Friday afternoon. No response so far.

The "best way to retain files", is to download your own copy. NOW.

We are aware of the number of Dragon Age and Mass Effect series mods (to name the two BioWare games with the largest communities on the Nexus) that are found only on the BSN. We have reached to the BioWare staff to see if they are interested is discussing an archive transfer, much as we did with File Front. Nothing firm, just asked if they'd like to talk. That request went out on Friday afternoon. No response so far.

Problem is that there's at least 8340 files. It just isn't viable for one person to go through and download them all. A team of people could, and that's something I was going to look at coordinating, but only if absolutely necessary.

I've put up a thread trying to get their attention -- and asking for clarification about Projects, Blogs, and their DAO Toolset and Wiki -- but so far, all we've gotten are crickets. I wasn't certain if any Nexus staff were active over there, so I was waiting to contact you until we knew for certain what was going on with Projects.

If BW doesn't "approve" an archive transfer (and honestly, I'd be surprised if they would), what are our options?

Mods that have open permissions to be shared elsewhere/are open source/etc. can be uploaded to the Nexus without issue. Mods that don't, unfortunately can't.

While we set a precedent recently with the File Front archiving, this is slightly different as we already host a multitude of mods for Dragon Age et al. As such, we can't make an automated system (even if we had the time, which we don't right now) as there would be a duplication issue.

We're happy to host the files, though.

Though our time is limited, it'd probably be best to try and reach out to the community and especially authors themselves to raise awareness. I'd be happy to help spread the word by posting an article to the appropriate Bioware titles we serve here. Along with a few well placed posts to the appropriate communities, we may be able to get the attention of authors so they can upload the files themselves, which would be best for everyone involved I think. I'd be happy to help anyone with the upload process personally, when needed.

Moho, Tarshana, hope you don't mind but I'm going to add you to a PM so I can get a bit more detail and figure out how we can help. Thanks!

Mods that have open permissions to be shared elsewhere/are open source/etc. can be uploaded to the Nexus without issue. Mods that don't, unfortunately can't.

While we set a precedent recently with the File Front archiving, this is slightly different as we already host a multitude of mods for Dragon Age et al. As such, we can't make an automated system (even if we had the time, which we don't right now) as there would be a duplication issue.

We're happy to host the files, though.

Unfortunately, the BSN project hosting pages were extremely poorly formatted. Here's my page for ThaneMOD, and here's the main Project page.

There was no area for permissions, so authors generally didn't include this information at all. You'd literally have to download every mod to check if there's even a readme, and even then, that information may or may not be present.

As I just explained to Sir via PM, these Project pages are a disaster. "Planned" projects are actually released and have downloads available. Projects categorized under "DAO Addons" might be for Mass Effect 2, etc. No permissions info, etc.

Something else I just explained via PM is that most of these mod authors for Mass Effect aren't around anymore, and many of the Projects are Mass Effect mods. Most of these haven't made it onto Nexus or anywhere else, as the Nexus pages for the ME Trilogy are much more recent. Authors like myself who are still around have already moved our mods, but this is a minority of the BSN Project content.

To be clear, until Nexus came along with the ME game pages, this Project repository was the *primary* place to download Mass Effect mods. A select few (literally, few) made it to ModDB. If these mods are removed, they're gone forever, just like Filefront.

Edited by moho25

More than anything I think modders enjoy their mods being used and I can't imagine that any of them would be irritated that they were moved to Nexus (which is the leader in game modding). I think a bigger crime is to have them disappear forever.

Nothing firm, just asked if they'd like to talk. That request went out on Friday afternoon. No response so far.

Thanks for looking into it. Bioware seems quiet today on the forum, but hopefully they'll at least dialogue with you this week about it.

Nothing firm, just asked if they'd like to talk. That request went out on Friday afternoon. No response so far.

Thanks for looking into it. Bioware seems quiet today on the forum, but hopefully they'll at least dialogue with you this week about it.

They've been quiet for a while now, not sure they'll answer anymore.