[Release] Halloween in Candle Cove -- a holiday-themed expansion

Tchos

that sure is a heavy package. or what do you need a party for? tongue.png

You'll need at least one rogue to get into the house and deal with the traps, and a small company of fighters/barbarians in case your party is caught climbing out of a five-year-old girl's bedroom window in the middle of the night by an angry mob of villagers.

I came up with a semi-catchy name for a holiday project:

"Hack 'n Sleigh Ride"

It's a chimney crawl adventure... wink.png

Slashing through the snow... :whistling:

BTW, there are a pair of fairly decent NWN candy cane models here; one large, one small. They look fairly high poly 'cause I can't detect the mesh. Should be an easy port.

http://neverwintervault.org/sites/neverwintervault.org/files/project/9651/images/1114979671fullres.jpg

you really think we couldnt do those from scratch in 5 minutes? I just think its too late to start a project with a 34 day deadline. Hard to think of Xmas in September is all

Don't you have a fat guy to finish?

He will be but I don't see it happening in a time frame that leaves anyone room before Xmas

There will be a Christmas in 2015. Some of us can plan ahead.

I had the start of an idea for a 2015 Christmas-themed module. It's, well, perhaps a little silly, but here goes...

----

After a brief period of seeming redemption, the Grinch is back and he's worse than ever. An Ogre Mage, the Grinch craves nothing more than to inflict misery, especially those of innocent young children. Now he's figured out how to make millions of kids unhappy at once. His evil plan involves a cunning trap; in particular a magic globe of soul trapping. He knows that Santa is especially interested in gifts for the children, so he had a particularly charming-looking snow globe built with an attractive-looking winter scene inside.

Employing his slimy wiles to the maximum, he appeared at Santa's home the night after Christmas, when he knew the exhausted old man would be sleeping off his long trek. Mrs. Claus invited the disguised Grinch in for a hot cup of cocoa with marshmellows, and he gladly accepted. He gave a sad tale about how visiting the children at an orphanage had persuaded him to help with large a charitable donation, and so he had decided to donate a lot of toys for next year. When Mrs. Claus said that Santa would be sleeping for a few days, the Grinch said he would happily return later. Before he departed, he left behind the magical snow globe as a "sample".

A few days Santa arose, feeling renewed and ready to get back to work for the next years toys. As he was eating his breakfast, Mrs. Claus was reminded of the kindly visitor and she showed Santa the globe. When he touched the device, a powerful magical spell was triggered. Santa, his wife, several helper elves, and Santa's home workshop were rapidly sucked into a glowing vortex of energy... and became trapped in the snow globe plane. A gleeful Grinch was spying from nearby and so he was able to sneak into the ruins and steal away with the globe. The device rests now in the evil Grinch's cave lair up on a mountain side.

The party is approached by a group of helper elves, who ask them to help rescue Santa. They have become aware of the approximate location of Santa and how he became tricked, but they are just harmless workers who know nothing of the adventuring life. It is up to the party to enter the cave, defeat the Grinch, then find a way to enter the globe trap and release Santa.

----

Basically it would need just a few areas: the cave system where the Grinch lives, and the interior of the Snow Globe. The latter would benefit from having a bunch of Christmas themed mods, as well as a chubby Santa. I think the snow globe interior should serve as a puzzle for the characters; they can find everything they need for Santa to escape, but they need to figure out how.

Will the snow globe interior be a large exterior with various arcade style challenges like banjo kazooie with each one resulting in releasing a group of souls or recovering one of the 7 magic presents that can shatter the globe?

There must be gingerbread houses

Why not? It's a magical object designed to entice Santa and make him laugh.

Silly or not, it's a well-developed backstory. If the same kind of care is maintained throughout the gameplay, it would give some engaging context to what we'd be doing.

Yep, just about any story about Santa is probably going to have some silly elements; he's a Children's fantasy cloaked in goofy folk lore that was ingrained in most of us as kids. A more serious plot would entail a moral story about charity and gratitude, like the Christmas Carol or It's a Wonderful Life.

I think theres a huge potential for arcade type games given the ability to create faster than HB timers via script to make platforms appear and dissappear, or move etc, and Matt reidiers sliding down the hill animation. Couple that with a UI that gives you arrow keys to move left or right and you can have a slalom.

Doing actual combat and experience give outs in the D&D style would seem really out of place here. I picture from your description a very whimsical and fun game vs the typical combat basis the D&D system is built for. But that could be just my interpretation.