If any or all of your mods appear invisible then I may have a fix for you!

BotchForLife

Ladies and Gentlemen, Boys and Girls: I have been surfing the interwebs and found absolutely no fixes for any issues with installing mods through nexus mod manager and them being loaded into the actual game but appearing to be invisible.

After ten hours of fiddling, reading, messing about with ini's and uninstalling and re-installing all my mods countless times to no avail was my mods appearing as they should!

So there I was watching The Big Lez Show, and it hit me: I wonder if mods I download through the bethesda.net in-game will work?

And you guessed it it did!

This gave me another idea, of which, I am about to share the contents of with you lovely people!

So:

First: Uninstall all your mods through your preferred Mod Organiser, not simply 'untick' them, I uninstalled them so you should too. (You can try not uninstalling them and following the following steps, but it didn't do much for me, it might for you who knows?)

Second: Close NMM or your Preferred Mod Organiser.

Third: Re-do the archive invalidation MANUALLY not through a Mod Organiser (I know that NMM offers this).

Here is how:

Create a Fallout4Custom.ini in Documents\my games\Fallout4

(your mod manager probably already made you one).

And add:

[Archive]

bInvalidateOlderFiles=1

sResourceDataDirsFinal=STRINGS\

And add this into Fallout4prefs.ini under [Launcher]

bEnableFileSelection=1

I know Gopher states to leave DataDirsFinal blank, but my mods are working this way.

Save the files with whatever text editor you used, bang step three done.

Fourth: Now make sure your game runs in Vanilla (through steam), load whatever save even though your mods are missing JUST DON'T SAVE OVER IT IF YOU HAVE TO SAVE MAKE A NEW ONE BUT YOU SHOULDN'T HAVE TO SAVE. To quit without saving open the console type 'qqq' and hit enter.

Fifth: Now open your desired mod manager as administrator. To those who don't know how to do it: Right click > Run as Administrator > Click Yes on the box that pops up.

Sixth: Now this point may vary for different people depending on your system/luck I guess. Once your mod manager is open as administrator re-install all your mods exactly how it was on the save you was last using and try to keep the same load order. If you use LOOT run that as administrator and update your load order just to be safe, again make sure its run as administrator as it may not work.

Seventh: Run your game however you do, through the original .exe or F4SE but if you do use F4SE then, again, run that as administrator. Check if your mods have now appeared.

Eighth: If it hasn't worked, still. Then there is a conflict between the way the game loads your mods and the way your mod manager loads mods. All you have to do is quit to main menu, click on 'Mods' don't bother logging in, or do, it's totally up to you. Go to the load order by pressing 'Home' on the keyboard or clicking. You don't have to do anything here other than exit the back to the main menu by pressing back until you're there. Now it should say something along the lines like: "Your load order appears to have changed, the game will need to reset and load your mods." Click yes and let it do it's thing. Your invisible mods SHOULD now work. I say should because this is exactly how I done it.

Ninth: If that didn't work then blimey you need to work on your S.P.E.C.I.A.L! All kidding aside, i'm afraid all I can think of is either install them manually and see if that works OR Install them exactly how I said, except one by one as in: Open mod manager as admin > install desired mod > open game as admin > go into mods at the main menu > load order > back back back > "your load order appears to...." Yes > and that specific mod should now work. As that is so long I hope you don't have to do that, but I have tested it that way as well and it works for me, and you can change your load order after doing it that way.

Also as a little side note, this whole process may 'untick' your DLC's, just open the mod manager as admin and click them on again and then run the game through mod manager and they will be enabled again. It may be crucial you don't forget this as some mods do require all current DLC's and might crash and you'll be like "NoooOOoOo all that work!!!".

I hope I have helped, this took me since 1PM till 11:30PM to figure out, there is literally nothing out there regarding a fix and many people seem to have this problem! I know my listing may be poor, but I am very tired and frustrated after this day, and felt as if I needed to get this out there ASAP as it was giving me a stroke.

This also fixed all my crashing issues.

Happy modding!

I already followed steps on that page, including what you said, and it didn't work for me :huh: I think with me there was some sort of problem between the installation of the mods not installing properly and the game not registering without confirmation from the loaded mods at the main menu. Still unsure.

Edited by BotchForLife

I already followed steps on that page, including what you said, and it didn't work for me :huh: I think with me there was some sort of problem between the installation of the mods not installing properly and the game not registering without confirmation from the loaded mods at the main menu. Still unsure.

so all you have to do it copy and paste the archive into custom fallout 4 thats it under the display all the other stuff is not nessecary

so all you have to do it copy and paste the archive into custom fallout 4 thats it under the display all the other stuff is not nessecary

I know what you're saying mate. That's pretty much the very basis of running mods I know. But when I done that, it didn't work. I literally had a conflict with my Nexus Manager and the game loading the plugins. I edited the Plugins.txt still didn't work, uninstalled and re-installed game/mods/verify game cache still nothing, this was literally the only fix for me. I am not sure why, but even manually installed mods didn't work! But the games been updated now, and so far it's all been okay.

• 1 year later...
  • 5 weeks later...