Essential or Non-Essential, That is the Question

Adipose

Lol! As far as I can tell, if one is running followers as essential, they could go into combat wearing

absolutely nothing and still come out unscathed...though they might be out of action for a bit during

a battle.

Is running a follower as non-essential the only way for gearing up to become meaningful?

You can modify how much health NPCs regenerate during combat to make things better. By default they regenerate health an insane rates so they are never out long. And worse yet they instantly return to 100% when the combat stops (or even pauses).

I'm pretty sure there are a couple of that change these game setting values but the only one I find with a quick search is Essentials Need Healing.

If you lower these settings Essential NPCs won't just hope right back up after a second or two. I use these values:

fEssentialDownCombatHealthRegenMult=0.001

fEssentialHealthPercentReGain=0.01

fEssentialNonCombatHealRateBonus=0.0

fEssentialNPCMinimumHealth=-90

I also put a script on my followers which reverses the complete restoration of health immediately at the end of combat. To see how it works you could try the Inigo mod. Inigo is set essential but won't auto-heal at the end of combat. And with the game setting changes above I have to heal him or give him potions or he'll be down for a very long time. I like that because it makes me feel needed. :)

You can modify how much health NPCs regenerate during combat to make things better. By default they regenerate health an insane rates so they are never out long. And worse yet they instantly return to 100% when the combat stops (or even pauses).

I'm pretty sure there are a couple of that change these game setting values but the only one I find with a quick search is Essentials Need Healing.

If you lower these settings Essential NPCs won't just hope right back up after a second or two. I use these values:

fEssentialDownCombatHealthRegenMult=0.001

fEssentialHealthPercentReGain=0.01

fEssentialNonCombatHealRateBonus=0.0

fEssentialNPCMinimumHealth=-90

I also put a script on my followers which reverses the complete restoration of health immediately at the end of combat. To see how it works you could try the Inigo mod. Inigo is set essential but won't auto-heal at the end of combat. And with the game setting changes above I have to heal him or give him potions or he'll be down for a very long time. I like that because it makes me feel needed. :smile:

Many thanks for the reply. I'll give it a go and see what happens.