Optimizing textures; mipmaps and Normal maps?

Mookeylama

should one optimize normal maps (n and msn) or is that bad for quality? i've already done many with SMCO and or Otimizer Textures, but i've never noticed an issue. but i've read it can be bad for normals. yes no?

also should i create mipmaps for everything?

not sure if the correct term would be compressing or optimizing. i refer to it as optimizing since the 2 programs i mentioned have the term in their title...

SMCO

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/searchresults/?quicksrc_name=smco&quicksrc_auth=Author&quicksrc_game=110

so yes, in the case of say femalebody_msn, what's the best way to handle those? i have some msns that're like 80,000 kb. i have just been putting those in a standalone folder, them pointing the path to that folder and running Optimizer Textures on them. usually have the OT settings at 2k, but sometimes 1k. again, never noticed much issues.

by running those programs, am i compressing or reducing textures? how exactly does one reduce textures resolution

Yes, always mipmap every single textures.

Compressing textures would be term however the programs are called.

Note some of them (like the one redrakiton125 linked) can also downscale them, that is what you want to do with heavy normal maps that should be left uncompressed.

In my opinion compress every single normal map (and the other textures too of couse) unless maybe character normal maps that could be left uncompressed, specially if you are going to stare at them :D.

A 4k compressed weights the same as a 2k uncompressed. That means X4 pixels. Are really the compression artifacts so noticable to be better 4 times less resolution? depends on how smooth and shiny the surface is, the more the more they show. Also objects pace normal maps (lots of colors, used for creatures and characters in skyrim) suffer more than tangent space normal maps (blueish, other assets).

Note some of them (like the one redrakiton125 linked) can also downscale them, that is what you want to do with heavy normal maps that should be left uncompressed."

======================

thanks Frank! so which option of Opti Tex would i use to downscale the msns? the "resize pattern" ...or "resize down 4k, 2k ect"?

damn, i can't find a way to NOT compress the msns, except to hand pick them out which takes an eternity. TEXOPT want to compress them all rather than just resize msns. i see others complain about this (and the line artifacts it creates) in the forum messages.

anyone know of a setting in the texopt ini that'll let me exclude msns? or another tool that will do that?