• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Which cooler should i get that isn't a liquid cooler. Also any recommended cooling agent

You mean like a CPU cooler? The Cooler Master 212 EVO is a popular choice. The Cryorig H5 is also a fairly good cooler, though it is more expensive than the 212 EVO if I'm not mistaken. The 212 EVO is very popular for the price to performance ratio it provides. It is a reasonably good cooler for the money.

Right now there is a high risk that you'll buy the wrong parts that are only partially right.

Put your intended build together on pcpartpicker and wait a couple days for someone to go over it properly.

This will also help you define your budget. Be clear about your budget, i.e. whether you can add money to the number pcpp gives you or need to cut costs related to that.

I have made a list of hardware choices from you guys here :smile:

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/XJqNPs

- There's really no point in pairing a locked CPU with a Z170 Chipset Motherboard. It would make more sense to either switch to a Core i5-6600K or Core i7-6700K OR go with an H170 or B150 Chipset MoBo.

- Unless you intend to do a lot of photoshopping or video editing, 16GB of RAM will be more than enough for a while. And 2 RAM modules causes less stress on your Motherboard as oppose to 4. Which means you'll be less likely to have a RAM stick die in the future.

- The Phantom 530 has a built-in fan controller. So you don't need to get another one.

- Why no SSD to boot your OS?

- I don't like the idea of having a PSU under 500W with a system like that. If you intend to upgrade your system in the future (like a second RX 480 for CrossFire) you may want to go with a 650W at the very least.

- On a GPU related note, a GTX 1060 costs a bit more than an RX 480. But is a considerably better performer (Though you can't get a second one and SLI them)

- The sound card isn't really necessary unless you're doing audio work.

Edited by GoliathUnit13074

You should have some budget to spare now.

Replace the CPU with an i5-6400 or better, optimally i5-6600 or i5-6600K.

Also, instead of a second HDD, get a SSD, the cheapest 240GB+ model will be fine.

Get a simpler mobo to save some cash. If you really want to get a high-end ROG one, at least switch to Asus MAXIMUS VIII RANGER - it omits 2 extra storage ports that you don't need anyway. Otherwise, there's a lot of other good Z170 boards for $100-ish. The ROG series is really only meant for thorough overclocking.

P.S. Also, drop the fan controller unless you really want it - modern mobos have native fan speed control.

Edited by FMod